Retro-Shooter Thread - Mullet Madjack released! - Descent MP Wednesday @8pm (Setup pg41)

Anything to do with games at all.
Jenuall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall

PostRe: Retro-Shooters - THE thread for classic FPS Chat/Mapping/Multiplayer - Wednesdays! (AvP Classic - Setup Pg 39)
by Jenuall » Wed May 08, 2024 10:49 pm

Yeah that definitely improved once we discovered the last man standing and Predator tag modes!

I think there's definitely space out there for a more fleshed out co-operative "defend yourselves against the Alien hordes" game!

Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Retro-Shooters - THE thread for classic FPS Chat/Mapping/Multiplayer - Wednesdays! (AvP Classic - Setup Pg 39)
by Dowbocop » Wed May 08, 2024 11:14 pm

My first instinct is that this game is insanely fast-paced, even as a marine. No idea what was going on sometimes when it all kicked off, but when we worked as a unit it was a great experience - except for when I jumped in one corner of the chokepoint room to place a point of orientation so we could call shots in and EVERYONE STARTED JUMPING AS WELL LIKE A LOAD OF RORY CALHOUNS :x :lol:

I'd like to play a bit of the single player to get more used to it as I couldn't get this to work on any PC around the time of release (I tried two!) but I won't be able to as the in-laws are up.

Cheeky Devlin
Joined in 2008

by Cheeky Devlin » Thu May 09, 2024 10:59 am

Dowbocop wrote:My first instinct is that this game is insanely fast-paced, even as a marine. No idea what was going on sometimes when it all kicked off, but when we worked as a unit it was a great experience - except for when I jumped in one corner of the chokepoint room to place a point of orientation so we could call shots in and EVERYONE STARTED JUMPING AS WELL LIKE A LOAD OF RORY CALHOUNS :x :lol:

I'd like to play a bit of the single player to get more used to it as I couldn't get this to work on any PC around the time of release (I tried two!) but I won't be able to as the in-laws are up.

Had great fun, especially as the Alien. So satisfying sneaking up on someone and getting the kill. Movement is great fun as well, once you get the hang of the layouts. Can really build up some speed. I also enjoy lurking and chomping on anyone who comes near. :nod:

Definitely try some of the horde mode next week I think.

I'm curious if AvP2 sands off some of the rougher edges from this one. Guess we'll find out when we get to it.

Cheeky Devlin
Joined in 2008

by Cheeky Devlin » Thu May 09, 2024 7:04 pm

Haven't watched it yet but Civvie11's newest video is all about AvP! :lol:

Jenuall
Joined in 2008

by Jenuall » Fri May 10, 2024 10:58 am

Going to stream some classic Doom for a bit if anyone is interested: https://www.twitch.tv/jenuall

Cheeky Devlin
Joined in 2008

by Cheeky Devlin » Fri May 10, 2024 11:07 am

Jenuall wrote:Going to stream some classic Doom for a bit if anyone is interested: https://www.twitch.tv/jenuall

In the office so can't even stick it on in the background. :x

You got a new map to play?
Also, I highly recommend the "Corruption Cards" mod you can get for Doom.
Around 200 cards that add various effects to the maps, monsters and weapons in the game. Some of them are nasty. :nod:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/corruption-cards

Was telling Jazzem about it a week or two ago. Great fun.

As is Doom Infinite, which add RPG elements and custom maps. Also great fun.

Jenuall
Joined in 2008

by Jenuall » Fri May 10, 2024 1:07 pm

Cheeky Devlin wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Going to stream some classic Doom for a bit if anyone is interested: https://www.twitch.tv/jenuall

Around 200 cards that add various effects to the maps, monsters and weapons in the game. Some of them are nasty. :nod:

Oh that sounds very interesting, will definitely check it out!

Sorry you couldn't watch man, would have been good to see you in the chat. I've been playing through the "Evertinity" Megawad so just did a bit more of that - basically spent 2 hours trying to get through the first secret level on Ultra Violence, not easy but we got there in the end! :toot:

Definitely up for streaming more, just not often that I manage to find the time for it.

And yes, I have been working on a new map but it's not ready for playing just yet - it's been taking a while to get the right feel to it, I hit a bit of an ideas block after my first map so feel like I've scrapped and restarted this one about 3 times over now! :lol:

Cheeky Devlin
Joined in 2008

by Cheeky Devlin » Fri May 10, 2024 1:19 pm

Jenuall wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote:

Oh that sounds very interesting, will definitely check it out!

Sorry you couldn't watch man, would have been good to see you in the chat. I've been playing through the "Evertinity" Megawad so just did a bit more of that - basically spent 2 hours trying to get through the first secret level on Ultra Violence, not easy but we got there in the end! :toot:

Definitely up for streaming more, just not often that I manage to find the time for it.

And yes, I have been working on a new map but it's not ready for playing just yet - it's been taking a while to get the right feel to it, I hit a bit of an ideas block after my first map so feel like I've scrapped and restarted this one about 3 times over now! :lol:

I know that feeling. Got a Quake map nearing the final 3rd of it's development so I'll hopefully have that finished in the next couple of weeks. A bit more traditional than my last one (I'm sticking with Vanilla textures) but I'm still quite happy with it so far.

I think I might take a Quake-break after it and get a Doom map rolled out.

The corruption cards Doom mod is great fun. Works really well with custom maps I've found.

Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

by Drumstick » Fri May 10, 2024 7:22 pm

aayl1 wrote:Ooh the game is 99 freedom cents for me, on Steam, so have picked that up and will add in all the Devlin viruses and keyloggers now.

:lol:

Check out my YouTube channel!
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image Image
Cheeky Devlin
Joined in 2008

by Cheeky Devlin » Sat May 11, 2024 1:39 am

Bungies Pre-Halo shooter Marathon is currently free on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2398 ... _Marathon/

I believe it has multiplayer modes so might be worth picking up now as I think I'll add it to the game list.

Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Sat May 11, 2024 8:26 am

Cheeky Devlin wrote:
Dowbocop wrote:My first instinct is that this game is insanely fast-paced, even as a marine. No idea what was going on sometimes when it all kicked off, but when we worked as a unit it was a great experience - except for when I jumped in one corner of the chokepoint room to place a point of orientation so we could call shots in and EVERYONE STARTED JUMPING AS WELL LIKE A LOAD OF RORY CALHOUNS :x :lol:

Had great fun, especially as the Alien. So satisfying sneaking up on someone and getting the kill. Movement is great fun as well, once you get the hang of the layouts. Can really build up some speed. I also enjoy lurking and chomping on anyone who comes near. :nod:

Definitely try some of the horde mode next week I think.

I'm curious if AvP2 sands off some of the rougher edges from this one. Guess we'll find out when we get to it.

I remember reading the AVP review in pc gamer, and the asynchronous multiplayer always sounded amazing, but I was never able to play it. It sounded so cool having a team of marines going around like a regular fps while another team of aliens climbed all over the walls trying to ambush them.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
Jenuall
Joined in 2008

by Jenuall » Sat May 11, 2024 8:47 am

Cheeky Devlin wrote:Bungies Pre-Halo shooter Marathon is currently free on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2398 ... _Marathon/

I believe it has multiplayer modes so might be worth picking up now as I think I'll add it to the game list.

Just had the classic Steam experience of going to add this to my library before realising I already owned it and just forgot :lol:

Cheeky Devlin
Joined in 2008

by Cheeky Devlin » Wed May 15, 2024 6:42 pm

Back on for AvP tonight from 8pm!

Had fun last week so looking forward to some more.

Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

by Qikz » Wed May 15, 2024 7:49 pm

Should be there tonight, sorry last week I was having a really off day. I'll not be on discord but will join!

The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Dowbocop » Wed May 15, 2024 8:07 pm

Should be on later tonight, might not be too vocal as I have a cold and am very sniffly but will be listening in.

Cheeky Devlin
Joined in 2008

by Cheeky Devlin » Wed May 15, 2024 10:32 pm

Great games tonight folks.
Was much more fun doing co-op over the deathmatch modes. Glad to see Qikz and even a couple of randoms join in for a bit.

I haven't decided on the next game yet so if anyone has any requests from the list in the OP let me know before friday night as I'll be choosing one then.

On an unrelated note Mullet MadJack launched today and it's utterly glorious.

I played the demo a few months ago and loved every minute of it. I'll be picking this up at the end of the month I think.

Jazzem
Joined in 2008

by Jazzem » Thu May 16, 2024 12:20 pm

Amazing games as always gang :toot: PvE against xenomorphs was super fun. And yeah, Mullet MadJack looks great, super neat it's inspired by old violent anime OVAs

Regarding a game for next week, I guess I'd suggest Descent? Could be a nice change of pace given the slight genre shift :) I'm guessing if we did, we'd go with one of the source ports?

Cheeky Devlin
Joined in 2008

by Cheeky Devlin » Thu May 16, 2024 12:34 pm

Jazzem wrote:Amazing games as always gang :toot: PvE against xenomorphs was super fun. And yeah, Mullet MadJack looks great, super neat it's inspired by old violent anime OVAs

Regarding a game for next week, I guess I'd suggest Descent? Could be a nice change of pace given the slight genre shift :) I'm guessing if we did, we'd go with one of the source ports?

I've got a small shortlist of ones I was considering and Descent was pretty high up that list.
There's a sourceport called DXX-Redux that I'm probably going to go with, but I haven't played around with it just yet.

So it's likely to be Descent next, but I may pick something else.

EDIT: strawberry float it, Descent locked in. 6-Degrees of violence incoming folks :nod:

aayl1
Sir Aaron of GRcade
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Retro-Shooter Thread - Mullet Madjack released! - Descent MP Wednesday @8pm
by aayl1 » Thu May 16, 2024 2:09 pm

Sorry my power cut out yesterday chaps! That coop mode was a lot of fun and surprisingly scary. I did get a slight jump when I flicked off my night vision to check the motion scanner and then everything in my (irl) room went dark and quiet. So immersive!

Not heard of Descent but I'm loving checking out all these different games so bring it on!

Jenuall
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Retro-Shooter Thread - Mullet Madjack released! - Descent MP Wednesday @8pm
by Jenuall » Thu May 16, 2024 10:51 pm

I'm well up for some Descent! :toot:

AvP has been great, especially when we picked up on some of the better modes to play that encouraged cooperation and leaned into the differences between the three character classes

Return to “Games”