Really not sure what to think of this. SSX3 was one of my favourite games ever, and this seems to remove a lot of what made the previous games so fun to me.
When it gets going, it's great, don't get me wrong. A few things which get on my tits though;
- The character designs suck balls. No variety whatsoever, and many of the fun characters are gone. Viggo & Allegra
- Rather than using money to customize tricks and pool into the overall improvement of your player, you have to buy EQUIPMENT. Bringing in this element of RPG-ness kills it for me. Clothes are to make you look cool/silly, stat points are what makes you better.
- Sort of an extension of the previous point, but so far every new location I visit I have to play as a different character. Does this change later on? I really liked sticking with one person and customizing them.
- The way the tricky song comes in any time you get supertricky is massively annoying and completely ruins any groove I had going with the soundtrack and gameplay mixing together.
- Locking all the different gooseberry fool up until I buy the right equipment. Sigh
. What's the point of equipment if I'm FORCED to use a certain piece? Can I not customize to suit my own preferences?
- Deadly descents. They promote slow and steady gameplay, over high speed stuff. Also the idea of having a health pool and being able to die is totally contrary to the SSX series as a whole. We don't want to go up against the mountain in a MAN VS NATURE FIGHT, We love the mountain and want to make sweet sweet geographical love to it.
Also real life places are gooseberry fool level design. More silly tracks please.