The Darkness 2 - Autumn 2011 - PS3, 360, PC

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
EnragedYogi
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Darkness 2 - Autumn 2011 - PS3, 360, PC
by EnragedYogi » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:50 pm

Fade wrote:
ANYWAYS.

Just finished this game. DAT ENDING
The Lightness 3? X-D

Sad though :(
Kind of confused as to what exactly happened though. Someone explain it to me?


My take was that while trapped in hell Jenny allowed herself to be consumed by the Angelus for the good of saving Jackies soul as the Darkness would eventually overtake him. Unfortunately this leaves him stuck in hell, but ripe for a sequel, where they better revive that Darkling, what a sweet final line! I had completely forgotten about the Angelus sidestory and just got sucked into the whole Jackie escaping and rescuing Jenny plot, and the after credits bit came as quite a surprise!
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Darkness 2 - Autumn 2011 - PS3, 360, PC
by Brerlappin » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:08 pm

Fade wrote:
the story of the game you'd realise is quite deep


Dead Space 2
Deep Storyline

Image
User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Darkness 2 - Autumn 2011 - PS3, 360, PC
by Fade » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:44 pm

EnragedYogi wrote:
Fade wrote:
ANYWAYS.

Just finished this game. DAT ENDING
The Lightness 3? X-D

Sad though :(
Kind of confused as to what exactly happened though. Someone explain it to me?


My take was that while trapped in hell Jenny allowed herself to be consumed by the Angelus for the good of saving Jackies soul as the Darkness would eventually overtake him. Unfortunately this leaves him stuck in hell, but ripe for a sequel, where they better revive that Darkling, what a sweet final line! I had completely forgotten about the Angelus sidestory and just got sucked into the whole Jackie escaping and rescuing Jenny plot, and the after credits bit came as quite a surprise!

I knew it was in the comics, but was that side plot in the two games anywhere?
I wonder if they'll do some DLC about how the Darkness Defeated the Angelus and imprisoned it. that would be cool. I'm chomping at the bit for any story based DLC they'd release right now :wub:

Brerlappins little hat wrote:
Fade wrote:
the story of the game you'd realise is quite deep


Dead Space 2
Deep Storyline

Image

I like how you never actually back up your opinion with facts.
Image
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Darkness 2 - Autumn 2011 - PS3, 360, PC
by Brerlappin » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:04 am

Fade wrote:I like how you never actually back up your opinion with facts.



I wasnt aware an opinion had to be backed up with cold hard facts.
The story in dead space 2 anyway is grade a bullshit. Its not scary, its not interesting, and its not well told. IN MY OPINION.
User avatar
1>3>4>2
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Anung

PostRe: The Darkness 2 - Autumn 2011 - PS3, 360, PC
by 1>3>4>2 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:22 am

Black Two-face is evidence that Dead Space 2's narrative is rubbish.
Ad7 wrote:GOT GUD :datass:

Check out my youtube channel where I sporadically release videos whenever I can be bothered. https://www.youtube.com/user/contardation
User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Darkness 2 - Autumn 2011 - PS3, 360, PC
by Fade » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:23 am

If you want people to take them seriously. It's a good idea to provide some kind of evidence. For example. Saying it's not well told. At least provide some evidence or something. Discussions like this are pointless if it's just about people saying 'I like this, you like that' with no one actually taking anything in or saying WHY they think these things.
Image
User avatar
Banjo
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Nobody cares

PostRe: The Darkness 2 - Autumn 2011 - PS3, 360, PC
by Banjo » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:00 am



That was utterly awful. For a start you have voice acting on a par with a low-rent student production (So. Uh... Bye :fp: ) but it's emphasised by a complete lack of timing. The initial half of the scene is dealt with in a minute (nowhere near enough time for something touted as an emotional moment), and then it immediately leaps into ghostly vision bullshit. There's no pause, no time to let the moment soak in, move onto MORE STORY. Only the following segment is criminally short as well, there's no appreciation for the characters there, just a token 'this is his dead wife that continues to haunt him, CAN'T YOU FEEL THE WEIGHT ON HIS SHOULDERS?' before we get back to the shooty-dismember-yay. It's hackneyed, the level of quality you'd expect from a SyFy Original.
User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Darkness 2 - Autumn 2011 - PS3, 360, PC
by Fade » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:31 am

Banjo wrote:


That was utterly awful. For a start you have voice acting on a par with a low-rent student production (So. Uh... Bye :fp: ) but it's emphasised by a complete lack of timing. The initial half of the scene is dealt with in a minute (nowhere near enough time for something touted as an emotional moment), and then it immediately leaps into ghostly vision bullshit. There's no pause, no time to let the moment soak in, move onto MORE STORY. Only the following segment is criminally short as well, there's no appreciation for the characters there, just a token 'this is his dead wife that continues to haunt him, CAN'T YOU FEEL THE WEIGHT ON HIS SHOULDERS?' before we get back to the shooty-dismember-yay. It's hackneyed, the level of quality you'd expect from a SyFy Original.

Are you actually serious? This is bad voice acting.

See what I don't get is. First someone says that Nicole appears too much throughout the game. And now you say they don't give enough time to her.

So are all emotional moments meant to have a pause then? Is that how emotions work? And it doesn't leap into anything. He sits down against the wall to think about what he's just done and the marker is trying to take advantage of him while he's vulnerable. He acts cold throughout the entire scene because he doesn't want to upset Ellie more than he already is.

And it's a game. If you want to take time to take in an emotional moment, you can. pretty sure after that happened in the game I spent 10 seconds looking out of the window. Maybe it's just me. But the Dead Space series has probably been the only video game other than the Darkness to effect me so emotionally. Not to the point of crying or welling up, but, I just mean a range of emotions. Finishing the first game was just so amazing for me. I still remember how fast my heart was beating now.
Image
User avatar
Banjo
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Nobody cares

PostRe: The Darkness 2 - Autumn 2011 - PS3, 360, PC
by Banjo » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:51 am

That's twice in the last 24 hours you've used the 'it's a game' argument. So, because it's a game means we should lower our expectations and accept mediocrity as the norm?

It is entirely possible for characters to appear too often and to not have enough screentime. In this instance you have a character who frequently pops up but has little time to create any resonance. Sure, it's his significant other, but we (the player) are not Isaac, we only control him. A minute in Nicole's company might bring back a flood of memories for him, but I might only know him as the dude with a gnarly mask who strawberry floats up hellbeasts or whatever. The whole thing plays out in realtime, which is its biggest flaw. You can effectively use montage and flashbacks to detail the emotional connection, cover years worth of memories in what is figuratively a few seconds, but instead it leaps from one scene to the next, and there's no time to let his actions sink in. Everything is driven and exciting, and as a consequence I'm given no real time to empathise with Isaac as a character.

Maybe I should amend my comment about the voice acting. It's flat and emotionally vacant, the traits you'd associate with a low-rent student production.
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostThe Darkness 2 - Autumn 2011 - PS3, 360, PC
by IAmTheSaladMan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:59 am

Just finished Darkness 2 and while I rather enjoyed it I don't personally see a lot of replay value. I can't be bothered to find the last few collectables and I don't really like Co-op multiplayer so I'm gonna trade it in for Kingdoms of Amalur tomorrow before it's value drops too much.

Playing the 2 Darkness games has however piqued my interest in perhaps reading some of the comic source material. Anyone know if there are any trade paperbacks available?
Image
User avatar
EnragedYogi
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Darkness 2 - Autumn 2011 - PS3, 360, PC
by EnragedYogi » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:21 am

IAmTheSaladMan wrote:Just finished Darkness 2 and while I rather enjoyed it I don't personally see a lot of replay value. I can't be bothered to find the last few collectables and I don't really like Co-op multiplayer so I'm gonna trade it in for Kingdoms of Amalur tomorrow before it's value drops too much.

Playing the 2 Darkness games has however piqued my interest in perhaps reading some of the comic source material. Anyone know if there are any trade paperbacks available?


I missed 2 collectables at the end! How? I had the upgrade!? Also you can do the Co Op stuff alone if you like.

Also is there any difference in your choice on the roof of the Nuthouse, I jumped first time


The thing that ruined Dead Space2 was
That stupid run for your life bit near the end! You're an engineer, that's the point of picking apart the Necromorphs with your Tools, surely!?
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Darkness 2 - Autumn 2011 - PS3, 360, PC
by Brerlappin » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:51 am

Banjo wrote:That's twice in the last 24 hours you've used the 'it's a game' argument. So, because it's a game means we should lower our expectations and accept mediocrity as the norm?

It is entirely possible for characters to appear too often and to not have enough screentime. In this instance you have a character who frequently pops up but has little time to create any resonance. Sure, it's his significant other, but we (the player) are not Isaac, we only control him. A minute in Nicole's company might bring back a flood of memories for him, but I might only know him as the dude with a gnarly mask who strawberry floats up hellbeasts or whatever. The whole thing plays out in realtime, which is its biggest flaw. You can effectively use montage and flashbacks to detail the emotional connection, cover years worth of memories in what is figuratively a few seconds, but instead it leaps from one scene to the next, and there's no time to let his actions sink in. Everything is driven and exciting, and as a consequence I'm given no real time to empathise with Isaac as a character.

Maybe I should amend my comment about the voice acting. It's flat and emotionally vacant, the traits you'd associate with a low-rent student production.


Banjo :wub:
If I could've articulated how I felt about dead space 2s narrative without using the word 'gooseberry fool', 'bollocks', and 'lose of gooseberry fool bollocks', it would've read just like what you wrote.
Also I have no idea how anyone could've found the end of ds1 emotionally affecting. Isaac sits down, takes off his helmet, and nicole jumps up behind him and goes BOO. Wow.
User avatar
1>3>4>2
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Anung

PostRe: The Darkness 2 - Autumn 2011 - PS3, 360, PC
by 1>3>4>2 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:13 pm

Banjo wrote:That's twice in the last 24 hours you've used the 'it's a game' argument. So, because it's a game means we should lower our expectations and accept mediocrity as the norm?


This! Games are getting so much more cinematic in presentation which puts them in the same line of criticism you would find in a film. If it is trying to emulate the movies it should at least try and do so well. Just because its trying it doesn't mean I'm not going to point out its flaws (It's just a game after all) and so many games have actually done that kind of emotional cinematic gooseberry fool really well. it makes shoddy lazy narratives within games even easier spot and my ragging on it harder.

Dead Space 2 looked great and played really well. Most of my criticism's of the game aimed solely at its narrative and it lacking any kind of decent scares (a bad move in a horror game)
Ad7 wrote:GOT GUD :datass:

Check out my youtube channel where I sporadically release videos whenever I can be bothered. https://www.youtube.com/user/contardation
User avatar
Diceman
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Darkness 2 - Autumn 2011 - PS3, 360, PC
by Diceman » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:06 pm

Finished the SP a couple of nights ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm glad it was short-ish as I have no qualms about jumping straight into a New Game+. Top combat, very good-looking and I thought the story was engaging.
It still hasn't bettered Bulletstorm for sheer FPS fun though. It comes close. When I think about all the people who didn't buy Bulletstorm and (probably) stopped a sequel being made, I get so strawberry floating mad. Hopefully there'll be a Darkness 3 if this sells well and that'll have to do.
Last night I finished Vendettas offline and that isn't as fun by a long stretch, but it's still a nice addition. I played as the Samurai bloke, and there's a huge reduction in the range of methods to kill enemies.
Overall though, what a wonderful surprise this turned out to be. New Game+ to enjoy it once more (and mop up achievements) and then it's off to Trades-Ville towards SSX.
User avatar
Finish.Last
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Darkness 2 - Autumn 2011 - PS3, 360, PC
by Finish.Last » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:37 pm

Finished this at lunchtime today :D

I thought this was an absolute belter of a game, and did what it set out to do really well. I don't know if it's because I came into this off the back of slightly slower paced games (Skyrim, Skyward Sword, AssCreed) but the sheer all-action, visceral style totally hit the spot for me! Short, yes, but they crammed plenty into it and made sure that I, at least, was left wanting more.

A really worthy sequel, and a terrific comic-to-game conversion. 9/10.
I called off his players' names as they came marching up the steps behind him....All nice guys. They'll finish last. Nice guys. Finish last.
User avatar
Diceman
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Darkness 2 - Autumn 2011 - PS3, 360, PC
by Diceman » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:04 am

Don difficulty New Game+ completed in an evening. Really good fun. Felt like I mixed it up a lot and improvised in a few combat situations. 1000g got too.
That's that, then.
User avatar
Dblock
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Discovery
Contact:

PostRe: The Darkness 2 - Autumn 2011 - PS3, 360, PC
by Dblock » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:21 am

This game is amazing. I'm taking it slowly as I don't want to finish it too quickly but the story line just got interesting if you know what I mean.
Image
User avatar
Seven
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Contact:

PostRe: The Darkness 2 - Autumn 2011 - PS3, 360, PC
by Seven » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:03 pm

Traded in Skyrim (360) and got this for £14.99, limited edition too (didn't realise when I picked up copy) :)

I had a go when I was at my mate's house, it's actually better than I thought. Despite I like first one better for exploration, the combat feels more better in second game :wub:

Tried hardest difficulty and it's well hard :lol: Dropped to Don (Hard) which is manageable for me.
TwitterTumblr | Nintendo ID: SevenFisher (Nickname: Steve)
User avatar
1>3>4>2
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Anung

PostRe: The Darkness 2 - Autumn 2011 - PS3, 360, PC
by 1>3>4>2 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:42 pm

You guys have really made me want this but I can't afford it yet and loads of other stuff is hitting the shelves.

WHY GOD WHY?
Ad7 wrote:GOT GUD :datass:

Check out my youtube channel where I sporadically release videos whenever I can be bothered. https://www.youtube.com/user/contardation
User avatar
Seven
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Contact:

PostRe: The Darkness 2 - Autumn 2011 - PS3, 360, PC
by Seven » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:45 pm

Just grab it :P It's great. I don't think it's long game mind, so if you want you can always buy it, finish it then trade it in for another game you really want?
TwitterTumblr | Nintendo ID: SevenFisher (Nickname: Steve)

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bravewolverine, Crimson, CuriousOyster, Google [Bot], HSH28, JediDragon05, Minto, Monkey Man, more heat than light, mysteriousdave, NickSCFC, Pedz, PuppetBoy, Saint of Killers, Trelliz, Xeno and 41 guests