• NBA LIVE 10 for PS3 & Xbox 360
  • NCAA Football 11 for PS3 & Xbox 360
  • NHL 11 for PS3 & Xbox 360
    NHL 11 Ultimate Team for PS3 & Xbox 360

January 14, 2013

• The Sims 2 for PC/MAC and TheSims2.com

January 19, 2013

• Trenches II for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch

The decisions to retire older EA games are never easy. The development teams and operational staff pour their hearts into these games almost as much as the customers playing them and it is hard to see one retired. But as games get replaced with newer titles, the number of players still enjoying the older games dwindles to a level -- fewer than 1% of all peak online players across all EA titles -- where it’s no longer feasible to continue the behind-the-scenes work involved with keeping these games up and running. We would rather our hard-working engineering and IT staff focus on keeping a positive experience for the other 99% of customers playing our more popular games. We hope you have gotten many hours of enjoyment out of the games and we appreciate your ongoing patronage.

If you have further questions about your account or the shut down of these services, please visit http://help.ea.com.

Terms and conditions can vary by region. For local policies, please use the country selector at the bottom of the page, and for Germany, visit German Policies.

http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates

Not incoceviable that titles such as the upcoming SimCity 5, which I think requires an online connection, will cease to work down the road.

Dblock
Joined in 2008
AKA: Discovery

PostRe: EA announce more server shut-downs on big games
by Dblock » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:24 am

:dread:

''Saying it's because I was controlling you and making you sad when actually I just asked you to wear some trousers'' :lol: :lol:
Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:31 am

I'm still playing NBA jam ffs :x

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
captain red dog
Joined in 2008

by captain red dog » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:34 am

I don't mind them shutting down servers but if you are paying for the gamepass then it's pretty harsh to be shutting off games as recent as 2011.

Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008

by Winckle » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:36 am

Ad7 wrote:I'm still playing NBA jam ffs :x

Same, what the hell is this gooseberry fool? That's what I get for buying a console game.

We should migrate GRcade to Flarum. :toot:
1cmanny1
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by 1cmanny1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:59 am

They don't have anything to lose though do they? Everyone already hates them.

$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:11 pm

Pay for internet, pay subscription fee, pay for servers, pay for ads, pay for servers to be shut down :lol:

Jesus christ, what is so difficult about releasing server side software to allow others to host servers themselves? O yeah, closed platforms, control and people being stupid enough to want gaming to be dictated to them.

Edit signature
Your signature will appear like this in posts
Wedgie
Joined in 2008

by Wedgie » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:13 pm

I was thinking of getting NBA Jam. Almost downloaded it last night and thank the strawberry float I didn't!

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.

Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
TigaSefi
Joined in 2008

by TigaSefi » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:14 pm

I have all the online achievements for NBA Jam :shifty:

1 > 2 > 3 >>>>>>> 4 >>>>> 5
more heat than light
Joined in 2008
AKA: mhtl

by more heat than light » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:15 pm

And this is why EA can continue to not have my money.

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:MHTL is an OG ledge
Something Fishy

by Something Fishy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:17 pm

Happy not to buy another game from them.

Venom
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Venom » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:18 pm

captain red dog wrote:I don't mind them shutting down servers but if you are paying for the gamepass then it's pretty harsh to be shutting off games as recent as 2011.

Yeah. Maybe this makes sense for smaller unpopular games but FIFA 2011?! People, younger kids with less money, are still playing it.

plasticcoated
Joined in 2009

by plasticcoated » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:21 pm

Am I the only one to see this as a minor issue?

Admittedly I don't often buy EA games - Dead Space, Need for Speed and what-not usually. But given that no-one will be buying the likes of FIFA 11 new nowadays given 12 and 13's subsequent releases and second-hand sales will be sparse to say the least. EA have to consider a dwindling user base as people move to the newer versions and the cost to uphold the servers for the few die-hards that continue to use the online functionality of these title.
Sure it sucks if you are one of those folks but there is legitimate business thinking behind it not just cold hearted evil.

:msgreen:
Something Fishy

by Something Fishy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:22 pm

They really seem to have no scruples, just screw people for pennies every way they can.

They embody everything that's gone wrong with gaming, another good reason to avoid the mainstream scene and its disgusting scalping practices in this next gen.

The online pass already led to me barely touching the guff they churn out.

Curls
Joined in 2008

by Curls » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:26 pm

Absolutely hate them for it.

I used to play Burnout 3 religiously online, well into the 360 lifespan. And then BAM, gone. I hate you EA. I hate you so much.

Is Burnout Paradise still up? I need to get a couple of Motorbike in-game achievements on that.

bear
Joined in 2008

by bear » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:39 pm

It a really shitty way to treat your customers. NBA Jam only came out in October 2011 and is a peer to peer game so its not like it costs EA to let people play online. There hasn't been an updated version for people to migrate to either so its just another slap in the face for people who bought the game originally.

Its gross that they are still selling some of the titles listed on Origin. A soon as they announce stuff like this they should at least stop selling the game used.

Errkal
Joined in 2011

by Errkal » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:43 pm

bear wrote:It a really shitty way to treat your customers. NBA Jam only came out in October 2011 and is a peer to peer game so its not like it costs EA to let people play online. There hasn't been an updated version for people to migrate to either so its just another slap in the face for people who bought the game originally.

Its gross that they are still selling some of the titles listed on Origin. A soon as they announce stuff like this they should at least stop selling the game used.

Only effect 360 and PS3 in alot of cases, so the PC versions that are P2P wont be effected.

bear
Joined in 2008

by bear » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:52 pm

Errkal wrote:
bear wrote:It a really shitty way to treat your customers. NBA Jam only came out in October 2011 and is a peer to peer game so its not like it costs EA to let people play online. There hasn't been an updated version for people to migrate to either so its just another slap in the face for people who bought the game originally.

Only effect 360 and PS3 in alot of cases, so the PC versions that are P2P wont be effected.

But they will. The press release says that quite clearly and if you check those games on Origin there is a warning about "ONLINE FEATURES AND SERVICES FOR THIS TITLE WILL DISCONTINUE AS OF insert date here".

If EA want to carry on with this nonsense then they should tell customers in advance how long they can expect to be let play online. Right now there are next to no warnings about when your game will be borked.

Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

by Lagamorph » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:55 pm

bear wrote:
Errkal wrote:

But they will. The press release says that quite clearly and if you check those games on Origin there is a warning about "ONLINE FEATURES AND SERVICES FOR THIS TITLE WILL DISCONTINUE AS OF insert date here".

If EA want to carry on with this nonsense then they should tell customers in advance how long they can expect to be let play online. Right now there are next to no warnings about when your game will be borked.

That's because EA probably don't know how long it will be. They'll basically be seeing the user/sales numbers fall below a set threshold and then that'll be when they decide to pull the plug.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
Errkal
Joined in 2011

by Errkal » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:56 pm

they should have a minimum time for the game to run, like 2 years from launch it is guarenteed to stay running, then after that it could be dropped if the audience isn't there.

Return to “Games”