Why do gamers obsess over review scores?

Anything to do with games at all.
Skippy
Joined in 2008

PostWhy do gamers obsess over review scores?
by Skippy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:26 pm

I asked two videogame psychologists, Eurogamer deputy editor Oli Welsh, writer Cara Ellison and our own rudderless/Chris Schilling

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/why-do-gamers- ... es-1433683

I was a little hamstrung by the vague upper word limit. Everyone I talked to said so much and I couldn't use it all.

Ave a gander *prepares tumbleweed gif*

abcd
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
AKA: abcd

PostRe: Why do gamers obsess over review scores?
by abcd » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:42 pm

Sorry didn't read.

I scrolled down to the bottom of the page and couldn't find a score.

:mrgreen:

Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

by Lagamorph » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:05 pm

Skippy wrote:I asked two videogame psychologists

That's one of the most made up job titles I've ever heard.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
finish.last
Joined in 2008

by finish.last » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:05 pm

A good little read that, thanks.

I called off his players' names as they came marching up the steps behind him....All nice guys. They'll finish last. Nice guys. Finish last.
Trelliz
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008

by Trelliz » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:06 pm

7/10, would read again.

jawa2 wrote:Tl;dr Trelliz isn't a miserable git; he's right.
TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:24 pm

Well, I guess that seals it.

I'm not a gamer anymore.

Because I haven't given a gooseberry fool about review scores in a long long time.

smurphy
Joined in 2008
AKA: A Little Cocky Child

by smurphy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:44 pm

Because people are immature strawberry floating twats.

TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:06 pm

Lagamorph wrote:
Skippy wrote:I asked two videogame psychologists

That's one of the most made up job titles I've ever heard.

It's amazing how putting the word "videogame" in front of any job automatically makes it sound like a mickey mouse operation.

Gemini73

by Gemini73 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:09 pm

A good read.

Meep
Joined in 2010

by Meep » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:13 pm

My opinion is that it is because games are so much more expensive than other forms of media. People obsess over reviews because they fear making a bad investment and most people don't have so much money that they can waste £30-40 and just shrug it off. I'm sure all of you reading this have been burned at least once or twice and that kind of experience leaves a psychological impression; it forces you to be more guarded and adverse to risk in the future.

smurphy
Joined in 2008
AKA: A Little Cocky Child

by smurphy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:16 pm

People who've already bought the game whine just as much though. It's like a kind of personal validation towards their choice of game, and choice of console with exclusives. And there's this automatic assumption that any big budget AAA game has to be 10/10 across the board, which is ridiculous.

Skippy
Joined in 2008

by Skippy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:21 pm

There's also a fundamental misunderstanding that a review is one person's opinion. It may be representing an entire site's worth of people, but that's only because that one person has been entrusted to represent them. It's shocking how many people don't seem to get that.

Also thank you for reading fellas :wub:

Johnny Ryall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig

by Johnny Ryall » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:23 pm

Metrics innit.

Gario
Joined in 2008

by Gario » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:59 am

I obsess just as much over film review scores, but the standard is lower. I generally won't buy a game that gets less than an 85 average, but with films anything 60 and over is fine (which has a lot to do with Metacritic rating 60+ as Green in their traffic light system of scoring.

Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: based

by Mafro » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:14 pm

Gario wrote:I obsess just as much over film review scores, but the standard is lower. I generally won't buy a game that gets less than an 85 average, but with films anything 60 and over is fine (which has a lot to do with Metacritic rating 60+ as Green in their traffic light system of scoring.

Why do you do this?

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell weed in animal crossing new horizons today.

Twitter
Super Dragon 64
Joined in 2008

by Super Dragon 64 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:24 pm

Mafro wrote:
Gario wrote:I obsess just as much over film review scores, but the standard is lower. I generally won't buy a game that gets less than an 85 average, but with films anything 60 and over is fine (which has a lot to do with Metacritic rating 60+ as Green in their traffic light system of scoring.

Why do you do this?

To make matters worse, he would only buy A Link Between Worlds if it averaged a 92.

Gario
Joined in 2008

by Gario » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:03 pm

Because my interest in games is at an all-time low (I'm getting old), so only the best will hold my attention. I couldn't play a game with flaws (especially with the controls) like RE6 for example, as I wouldn't be able to get past this distraction.

Gario
Joined in 2008

by Gario » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:04 pm

Dark Dragon 64 wrote:
Mafro wrote:

Why do you do this?

To make matters worse, he would only buy A Link Between Worlds if it averaged a 92.

It got 91 in the end and I'll buy it eventually :D

SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by SEP » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:07 pm

Gario wrote:Because my interest in games is at an all-time low (I'm getting old), so only the best will hold my attention. I couldn't play a game with flaws (especially with the controls) like RE6 for example, as I wouldn't be able to get past this distraction.

The problem is, review scores are entirely subjective. You'd need to read the text of the reviews themselves to find out if a game got below 85 because there was a genuine problem with it, or just because the reviewer was a dick.

Gario
Joined in 2008

by Gario » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:26 pm

Somebody Else's Problem wrote:
Gario wrote:Because my interest in games is at an all-time low (I'm getting old), so only the best will hold my attention. I couldn't play a game with flaws (especially with the controls) like RE6 for example, as I wouldn't be able to get past this distraction.

The problem is, review scores are entirely subjective. You'd need to read the text of the reviews themselves to find out if a game got below 85 because there was a genuine problem with it, or just because the reviewer was a dick.

I don't base my decisions on one reviewer's opinion alone. I trust that the games journalism industry as a whole (ie. every reputable website and magazine) can guide my purchasing decisions. I've never disliked a game I bought that scored an average of at least 90% - with one exception.

Return to “Games”