PS3 is leading Euro market in 2012

Anything to do with games at all.
Gemini73

PostPS3 is leading Euro market in 2012
by Gemini73 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:23 am

As part of its investor presentation last night, Nintendo revealed that Sony’s PS3 has taken control of the European hardware market since the turn of the year.

Its data suggests that Sony has enjoyed weekly continental sales of between 100,00 and 50,000 units.
3DS is next in line with sales between 50,000 and 30,000 per week and Xbox 360 just behind, although Microsoft’s machine was selling far stronger until week six.

It’s a different story in Japan where 3DS is selling anything between 120,000 and 65,000 units per week – a decent performance considering the time of year. PS3 remains to sell strongly, too, peaking at nearly 70,000 unit sales in week nine.

In the US the Xbox 360 has maintained its now customary dominance, with PS3 the second best selling platform and 3DS the third. 

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps3-is-l ... 012/095170

Jamo3103
Joined in 2008

PostRe: PS3 is leading Euro market in 2012
by Jamo3103 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:57 am

Probably something to do with the fact that the markets for Wii and 360 are completely saturated. Practically everyone who would want one already owns one. PS3 on the other hand has a lot of catching up to do!

cooldawn
Joined in 2008

by cooldawn » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:22 am

Coconut Bob wrote:Probably something to do with the fact that the markets for Wii and 360 are completely saturated. Practically everyone who would want one already owns one. PS3 on the other hand has a lot of catching up to do!

How s the XBOX360 saturated n Europe?

NOTE: My eyboard s stll fuced!!!! :evil:

"Race drivers don't really care how fast they're going..we keep going faster and faster until we approach that limit of control and that's when we balance ourselves..that's how we make good time."
JOHN FITCH
1950's Le Mans driver
Zellery
Joined in 2008

by Zellery » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:25 am

Wasn't Sony always ahead of Microsoft in Europe?

The only real news here is that they've now overtaken The Wii to become market leader.

gamerforever
Joined in 2010

by gamerforever » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:36 am

Zellery wrote:Wasn't Sony always ahead of Microsoft in Europe?

The only real news here is that they've now overtaken The Wii to become market leader.

:wub:

KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:41 am

Zellery
Joined in 2008

by Zellery » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:46 am

gamerforever wrote:

:wub:

Only in Europe, don't get too excited. :lol:

Jamo3103
Joined in 2008

by Jamo3103 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:48 am

cooldawn wrote:
Coconut Bob wrote:Probably something to do with the fact that the markets for Wii and 360 are completely saturated. Practically everyone who would want one already owns one. PS3 on the other hand has a lot of catching up to do!

How s the XBOX360 saturated n Europe?

NOTE: My eyboard s stll fuced!!!! :evil:

I'd suggest that with the amount of time the 360 has been out, most people who are likely to buy one already own one. There's still demand of course, but not on the same level. PS3's initial price and the competition early on prevented it from having such a strong base of owners early on.

Death's Head
Joined in 2009

by Death's Head » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:50 am

Yes. The news is about as surprising as finding that the 360 is leading in the US or the UK.

Yes?
KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:53 am

Isn't there only like a 2-3 million difference in userbase between PS3 & Xbox? Even if you were to combine sales of both machines, they still haven't reached PS2 levels yet.

Something Fishy

by Something Fishy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:35 pm

Always been ahead of the 360 but looks like the Wii is fading now too.

I expect it to take second place before the next gen starts next year. Hell , i expected it to years ago but it surely must at some point with this advantage.

Delusibeta
Joined in 2011

by Delusibeta » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:52 pm

KKLEIN wrote:Isn't there only like a 2-3 million difference in userbase between PS3 & Xbox? Even if you were to combine sales of both machines, they still haven't reached PS2 levels yet.

Well, the only worldwide life to date numbers I could find are from VGChartzzzzzzzzzzz, so large quantities of salt are required, but yes, no console has matched the PS2 yet (well, except the DS...).

Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: based

by Mafro » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:53 pm

In related news, the Wii is beating the Vita in Europe http://www.reghardware.com/2012/04/27/n ... es_europe/

And semi-related, this graph really shows how well the 3DS is doing in Japan

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell weed in animal crossing new horizons today.

Twitter
1cmanny1
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by 1cmanny1 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:13 pm

Playstation is going to be the world leader again, mark my words.

Monkey Man
Joined in 2008

by Monkey Man » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:28 pm

Not a surprise, a bit of a surprise though that the 360 is selling the same as the 3DS.

Zellery
Joined in 2008

by Zellery » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:30 pm

The Vita's only just outselling the original DS in Europe. :fp:

So it's selling like crap in Europe and in Japan. Any idea how the US have took to it?

Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: based

by Mafro » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:32 pm

Zellery wrote:The Vita's only just outselling the original DS in Europe. :fp:

So it's selling like crap in Europe and in Japan. Any idea how the US have took to it?

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell weed in animal crossing new horizons today.

Twitter
KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:46 pm

PlayStation Vita really is a fantastic machine, & the games that are out for it are extremely good, but there hasn't been anything of interest since launch. And I'm not being funny, but nobody gives a strawberry float about Resistance, so I can't see that making much difference.

Hopefully Sony come out with a stream of bombshells at E3 in a month or so's time.

Death's Head
Joined in 2009

by Death's Head » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:27 pm

KKLEIN wrote:PlayStation Vita really is a fantastic machine, & the games that are out for it are extremely good, but there hasn't been anything of interest since launch. And I'm not being funny, but nobody gives a strawberry float about Resistance, so I can't see that making much difference.

This is obviously the reason games are reduced so quickly these days. I don't really see why not having a continuous stream of games impacts hardware sales so badly. If you don't have a Vita, you still have all the launch games to choose from. If the launch games are extremely good as you say, why would people be put off buying it?

Yes?
KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:53 pm

From a marketing perspective, it's better to keep the Vita in the spotlight, rather than have zero coverage whatsoever. It makes it look as if there's absolutely nothing happening on the system. And if for whatever reason the launch line-up didn't float your boat, they haven't announced anything for the foreseeable future. For Sony that's very unusual, as there's always something on the horizon.

Return to “Games”