Ubisoft's The Crew | New Racing IP

Anything to do with games at all.
Floex
Joined in 2008

PostUbisoft's The Crew | New Racing IP
by Floex » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Here you can see the details leaked by GameBlog:

-The Crew is expected to play similar to Ubisoft Reflections most recent racer Driver: San Francisco, with a semi-arcade style of racing.

-As with Driver: San Francisco, The Crew will be open world with the ability to travel between New York City and Los Angeles, though the scale of these cities has been reduced.

-It is not clear whether you will travel through wilderness to reach each city or whether the game will simply load in each area.

-The Crew will also feature a similar ‘Google Maps’ style mechanic, presumably for navigating the open world.

-A ‘Freeride’ mode will be available too, which the option to choose between missions or challenges.

-Multiplayer will feature 8 players in either competitive or co-operative gameplay, though no more specific details were provided.

-As is the case with Ubisoft’s Watch Dogs – and presumably many of the publisher’s next-gen games - The Crew will come with a companion app for mobile devices.

-It is presumed that The Crew’s release date will be before the end of 2013, presumably to tie into a next-gen release. With such a close release date, it’s safe to assume The Crew will be announced at E3 2013.

http://www.vgleaks.com/the-crew-details-leaked/

Expected to play like Driver? Eep.

False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Ubisoft's The Crew | New Racing IP
by False » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:55 pm

da crew

Skippy
Joined in 2008

by Skippy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:00 pm

"Hey those Fast & Furious films are pretty popular aren't they"

Trelliz
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008

by Trelliz » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:15 pm

Skippy wrote:"Hey those Fast & Furious films are pretty popular aren't they"

Indeed. I'm normally one to give racers a chance, but I'm going to declare this one a grade-A heap-o'-shit now. Does anyone remember NFS: The Run? Didn't think so. I can see that they're trying to push the genre, but really?

jawa2 wrote:Tl;dr Trelliz isn't a miserable git; he's right.
Skippy
Joined in 2008

by Skippy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:18 pm

It may not appeal to me but a new IP is a new IP and that's a good thing

False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

by False » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:18 pm

Need for Speed Underground will forever hold the title as the best Fast and Furious game.

Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Buffalo » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:32 pm

Falsey as creative consultant.

False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

by False » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:34 pm

Man, that would be the bomb.

SuperFinal
Joined in 2008

by SuperFinal » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:28 pm

I think that bottom picture might just be a shot of Driver SF.

Looking forward to hearing a bit more though!

Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Garth » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:51 pm

Trelliz
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008

by Trelliz » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:53 pm

Delusibeta wrote:Meanwhile, The Crew's creative director seems to be thinking they're making World of Warcraft.
"Our approach to that is this is a living world," Gerighty said. "We don't really see the point of offline. Did you ever play World of Warcraft? So World of Warcraft, you don't play offline. It doesn't mean you can't play by yourself—when I played World of Warcraft, I played it for about twelve months, single-player only, without talking to anyone. That's our approach."

I asked Gerighty what would happen if someone was playing the game and their internet went down. "They won't be able to save the game, unfortunately," he said. "All our saves are server-based, it's one of those things that this new generation… it's just like World of Warcraft. If the internet connection goes on World of Warcraft, that's it, your saved game goes. It's one of the unfortunate side-effects, but I think [we're] going to a world where the experiences demand that."

But do the experiences demand that? Have they so far? I mentioned how upset some people are getting about always-online games. "People got used to it on World of Warcraft, people got used to it on MMOs," Gerighty said. He emphasized that the single-player story can be played all by yourself… as long as you have an internet connection. "It just becomes that much more interesting if you're connected, and the world around you is living, with other drivers and potential encounters."

From quite interesting to whogivesashit.gif in three paragraphs. :dread:

:dread:

jawa2 wrote:Tl;dr Trelliz isn't a miserable git; he's right.
HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:54 pm

Going up against Forza 5 and Driveclub with a new IP is going to be difficult.

For me the game didn't demo particularly well, its clearly doing other things beyond pure racing and its open world...but still its a hard sell for me.

Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

by Alvin Flummux » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Driveclub is a new, IP too.

HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Alvin Flummux wrote:Driveclub is a new IP too.

I didn't say it wasn't.

Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

by Alvin Flummux » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:04 pm

HSH28 wrote:

I didn't say it wasn't.

You paired Driveclub, a new IP, with Forza 5, a well established racing series, implying that they were both old series' that The Crew would have trouble competing with. Should've used NFS, or GT.

andretmzt
Joined in 2008

by andretmzt » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Trelliz wrote:
Delusibeta wrote:Meanwhile, The Crew's creative director seems to be thinking they're making World of Warcraft.
"Our approach to that is this is a living world," Gerighty said. "We don't really see the point of offline. Did you ever play World of Warcraft? So World of Warcraft, you don't play offline. It doesn't mean you can't play by yourself—when I played World of Warcraft, I played it for about twelve months, single-player only, without talking to anyone. That's our approach."

I asked Gerighty what would happen if someone was playing the game and their internet went down. "They won't be able to save the game, unfortunately," he said. "All our saves are server-based, it's one of those things that this new generation… it's just like World of Warcraft. If the internet connection goes on World of Warcraft, that's it, your saved game goes. It's one of the unfortunate side-effects, but I think [we're] going to a world where the experiences demand that."

But do the experiences demand that? Have they so far? I mentioned how upset some people are getting about always-online games. "People got used to it on World of Warcraft, people got used to it on MMOs," Gerighty said. He emphasized that the single-player story can be played all by yourself… as long as you have an internet connection. "It just becomes that much more interesting if you're connected, and the world around you is living, with other drivers and potential encounters."

From quite interesting to whogivesashit.gif in three paragraphs. :dread:

:dread:

But that's not how a MMO works. If you lose connection to the server, all the gooseberry fool you have spent the last hour doing doesn't magically disappear. Neither is that the case if the server drops. Also there are far more people playing games which are not always online compared to those who do play always online games. Just because those players are spread over loads of games rather than a few doesn't mean they represent a smaller population.

HSH28 wrote:No Last Guardian.
No new exclusive PS4 games.
No longer free MP for PS4.

Microsoft win E3.
Xeno
Joined in 2008

by Xeno » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:13 pm

This looks so gooseberry fool.

Falsey wrote:
Xeno wrote:Chewing takes effort. What he needs is Emma Watson to chew his food then transfer it to him for him to swallow.

I dont know why, but that sounds strawberry floating incredible.

Wuijibobo wrote:You're a funny man Xeno. I like you... That's why I'm going to kill you last.
HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:16 pm

Alvin Flummux wrote:
HSH28 wrote:

I didn't say it wasn't.

You paired Driveclub, a new IP, with Forza 5, a well established racing series, implying that they were both old series' that The Crew would have trouble competing with. Should've used NFS, or GT.

No you misunderstood if that's what you thought.

Driveclub is the big 1st Party exclusive PS4 launch racing game and Forza 5 is the big 1st Party exclusive Xbox One launch racing game.

Going up against those on each platform with a new IP is going to be difficult for Ubisoft.

Irene Demova
Joined in 2009
AKA: Karl

by Irene Demova » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:17 pm

Ubisoft trying new and interesting DRM I see :lol:

False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

by False » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:35 pm

Ive never seen a group of people in mumble go from 'oh my god I want this' to 'oh my god this is gooseberry fool' so quickly as when they demo'd this.

Return to “Games”