Mountain Dew Sponsors Indie Show - Water Not Allowed On Cam

Anything to do with games at all.
Harry Bizzle
Joined in 2008

PostMountain Dew Sponsors Indie Show - Water Not Allowed On Cam
by Harry Bizzle » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:30 pm

This has to be read to be believed.

Eurogamer - Game jam reality show cancelled as indies wouldn't put up with its s***

"The product placement and forcing of the brand onto us was over the top," Wallick continued. "I understand who was sponsoring it and where the money to produce this event was coming from, but when I am no longer allowed to have easy access to water in order to hydrate myself after sweating under bright lights for hours because it wasn't Mountain Dew, then we have a problem."

The treatment of the contestants became increasingly aggressive with bewildering demands made of the developers. "Davey was forced to take off his nail polish because he couldn't hold the can with it on," wrote freelance journalist and Polaris contributor Jared Rosen in his harrowing expose on the fiasco for IndieStatik. "Zoe had to take off the buttons she usually wears on her jacket, but shouted down a PA who tried to make her cover her tattoos. The Arcane Kids were screamed at for not holding bottles right, while the entire group was lectured on how to properly smile like you're enjoying the product - a product that everyone was enjoying less and less."

:lol:

instagram: @habiz
Harry Bizzle
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Mountain Dew Sponsors Indie Show - Water Not Allowed On
by Harry Bizzle » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:08 pm

Brerlappin wrote:As a counter point, one of the indie developers wanted to make a game based on an acid trip he was on at the burning man festival. I personally find that hippie bullshit more offensive than any corporate scumbaggery

I think the whole concept of a game jam is douchey. This is just interesting because it shows how blatant they are about these things, vs the whole "we can have free stuff and still be objective" and "if you have a problem with it, you probably wear a tinfoil hat" narrative that the media tries to push.

instagram: @habiz
SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by SEP » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:25 pm

Funny how whenever Mountain Dew and gaming meet, gooseberry fool gets strawberry floated up.

Banjo
Joined in 2008

by Banjo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:17 pm

1>3>4>2 wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:As a counter point, one of the indie developers wanted to make a game based on an acid trip he was on at the burning man festival. I personally find that hippie bullshit more offensive than any corporate scumbaggery

:lol:

It's a fine point the man makes, can't argue with that. :lol:

_wheredoigonow_
KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:52 pm

Reminds me of a certain Olympics 2012...

Saint of Killers
Joined in 2008

by Saint of Killers » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:26 pm

If you lie down with dogs...

SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by SEP » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:28 pm

Saint of Killers wrote:If you lie down with dogs...

...you're a sick, sick person?

Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

by Preezy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:09 am

Harry Bizzle wrote:This has to be read to be believed.

Eurogamer - Game jam reality show cancelled as indies wouldn't put up with its s***
wrote freelance journalist and Polaris contributor Jared Rosen in his harrowing expose on the fiasco for IndieStatik.

#firstworldproblems

Return to “Games”