Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth | Rising Tide Expansion Out Now

Anything to do with games at all.
Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

PostRe: [PC] Civilization: Beyond Earth AKA Alpha Centauri 2
by Alvin Flummux » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:25 pm

Donk » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:09 pm wrote:
Alvin Flummux » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:45 pm wrote:
Donk » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:05 am wrote:Cover and shoot from 2 onwards with terrible story lines and the worst ending of a game series ever = Gears of War In Space.

The most complete, coherent, detailed, well thought out and well put together sci-fi universe outside Star Wars and Star Trek (and in my view, more interesting than both) would make a fantastic strategy game. I thoroughly enjoyed every ME game, including the stories, characters, and yes, even ME3s ending. It's a property ripe for expansion into other genres - RPGs, more TPSs, FPSs and strategy games at the least.

Well thought out? Did you even finish ME3? :lol: As for the rest, there are dozens of scifi universes in fiction which blow it out the water. How would Sheppard saves the galaxy from evil robots make a good strat game?

I finished it and think it's just fine; bittersweet but fine. And it wouldn't feature Shepard at all, except as a cameo mention in cut-scenes. It'd be set during the reconstruction era following the Reaper War.

Banjo
Joined in 2008

by Banjo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:12 pm

Alvin Flummux » 13 Apr 2014, 16:45 wrote:The most complete, coherent, detailed, well thought out and well put together sci-fi universe outside Star Wars and Star Trek (and in my view, more interesting than both)

This just makes it sound like your only experience of sci-fi is those three franchises.

_wheredoigonow_
HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:18 pm

Alvin Flummux wrote:The most complete, coherent, detailed, well thought out and well put together sci-fi universe outside Star Wars and Star Trek (and in my view, more interesting than both) would make a fantastic strategy game.

Don't read much sci-fi then I'm guessing.

That
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008

by That » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:00 am

Alvin Flummux » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:45 pm wrote:The most complete, coherent, detailed, well thought out and well put together sci-fi universe outside Star Wars and Star Trek

Well, Star Wars and Star Trek certainly have large expanded universes, but I don't feel that the Mass Effect expanded universe is really drawn in the same resolution as those. It's not an entirely scientific measure, but Memory Alpha and Memory Beta between them have 81,000 pages, whereas the Mass Effect wikia has 3,000.

I'm not saying the Mass Effect universe isn't cool, or whatever, I'm just not certain its lore is expansive in the same way as the other examples you made. And I think there are probably more interesting niche universes, like that of the Culture in the novels of Iain M. Banks.

Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

by Alvin Flummux » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:52 am

It still feels more whole and alive and real than any other gaming (and many TV and movie) sci-fi property to me; a lot feel rather hollow and empty, as if they would collapse entirely if one delved beyond their surfaces, although you could say they all would at some point. I expected that SW and ST would have much more expansive lore archives, which are commendable, but I never felt very invested in them, in the outcome of their events (though that doesn't mean I don't like them). I'm a great deal more invested in ME than I ever was with them and others, perhaps because it got me directly involved in making big and small decisions, chatting to comrades etc, made me feel like I was there, and in so doing got me very emotionally invested. That, I think, has made me love it more than any other series.

It's a much more interesting sci-fi property to me than any other, it has such potential for many more stories and games in many different genres, and that is why I think it would be a great place to set a Civ game. I hope that this game's world doesn't feel as flimsy as many others do, but I can't help but have my doubts.

Please don't hurt me. :simper:

Last edited by Alvin Flummux on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
That
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008

by That » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:26 am

Alvin Flummux » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:52 am wrote:Please don't hurt me. :simper:

Don't worry, no risk of that! I actually like ME's universe, for what it's worth (though I think it's a bit derivative in places).

Jingle Ord The Way
Joined in 2008

by Jingle Ord The Way » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:20 am

More detailed info and an interview on the game here -
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/12/civil ... -and-more/

ImageImage
Xeno
Joined in 2008

by Xeno » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:03 am

I would love for them to give a nod to Banks and put the lazy gun in the game as some super rare find, it could be a good laugh.

Falsey wrote:
Xeno wrote:Chewing takes effort. What he needs is Emma Watson to chew his food then transfer it to him for him to swallow.

I dont know why, but that sounds strawberry floating incredible.

Wuijibobo wrote:You're a funny man Xeno. I like you... That's why I'm going to kill you last.
HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Xeno » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:03 am wrote:I would love for them to give a nod to Banks and put the lazy gun in the game as some super rare find, it could be a good laugh.

You realise you picked one of his few scifi novels that isn't set in same universe as the Culture.

Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

by Preezy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:50 pm

Put a sock in it, Hugo.

Xeno
Joined in 2008

by Xeno » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:57 pm

HSH28 » 14 Apr 2014, 16:48 wrote:
Xeno » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:03 am wrote:I would love for them to give a nod to Banks and put the lazy gun in the game as some super rare find, it could be a good laugh.

You realise you picked one of his few scifi novels that isn't set in same universe as the Culture.

I am fully aware of his entire catalogue having read them all on numerous occasions. I am a fan of the Culture series (just look at my steam name) but I love the silliness of the Lazy Gun which is why I would love to see it in a game.

Falsey wrote:
Xeno wrote:Chewing takes effort. What he needs is Emma Watson to chew his food then transfer it to him for him to swallow.

Wuijibobo wrote:You're a funny man Xeno. I like you... That's why I'm going to kill you last.
Ironhide
Fiend
Joined in 2008

by Ironhide » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:11 pm

Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

by Preezy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:53 am

Just ordered Civ 5 to get into the swing of things in preparation for this.

Venom
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Venom » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:03 pm

Great trailer, I love the tone of it all. I bought Civ V a while ago but too scared to play because I know I might get consumed by it! But will try and set aside some time in May.

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by Moggy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:53 pm

Sounds like this could be the greatest ever RTS game. :datass:

HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:02 pm

:fp:

Venom
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Venom » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:14 pm

Desert Strike on the Megadrive was a classic war sim so it's good to see that Civilisation: Beyond Earth looks like the first RTS game in years to do it justice.

That
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008

by That » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:45 pm

:lol:

Super Dragon 64
Joined in 2008

by Super Dragon 64 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:19 am

Firaxis Games' Pete Murray recently streamed about 50 minutes' of gameplay. I haven't watched it yet but some people may find it interesting.

Xeno
Joined in 2008

by Xeno » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:42 am

That was a decent look at he game. I'm looking forward to it's release.

Falsey wrote:

Return to “Games”