The Golf Club [Early Access - PC Steam] - Best Golf Sim Yet?

Anything to do with games at all.
Cal
Joined in 2008

PostThe Golf Club [Early Access - PC Steam] - Best Golf Sim Yet?
by Cal » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:33 am

I play the first 9 holes of one of the official courses (very badly :fp: ): - recorded with Shadowplay @ 1080p

The Golf Club is HB Studios’ next generation golf simulation. Stunning visual presentation and outstanding gameplay are to be expected but what really takes The Golf Club into the next generation is the procedural generation of courses and depth of social interaction. The Course Creator can generate a brand new course in seconds which can be shared and played immediately online with friends and other gamers across the world. There are also full editing capabilities for courses, Tournaments and Tours. Challenge your friends on a new or existing course in real time or try to beat their best recorded round. Add to this a myriad of stat tracking and personal bests of friends and rivals to beat, notifications, challenges and social media integration and you truly have a golf club worth joining.

£22.94

http://store.steampowered.com/app/269730/

Last edited by Cal on Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
more heat than light
Joined in 2008
AKA: mhtl

PostRe: The Golf Club [Early Access - PC Steam) - Best Golf Sim
by more heat than light » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:42 am

This is one of my most wanted titles on Xbone. Finally somebody seems to have done something different with a golf game. Got so tired of Tiger Woods and miniscule improvements every year.

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:MHTL is an OG ledge
Mommy Christmas
Multiball!
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Golf Club [Early Access - PC Steam) - Best Golf Sim
by Mommy Christmas » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:13 pm

I love Golf. Need a good one on the WiiU or PS4.

:dread:
Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Golf Club [Early Access - PC Steam] - Best Golf Sim
by Winckle » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:25 pm

I'm pretty interested in this, I'd love a decent multiplayer PC golf game.

We should migrate GRcade to Flarum. :toot:
Rog
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Rog » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:22 pm

Wait, is this actually good? I'd seen it but saw people saying it wasn't very good so backed off.

jiggles
Joined in 2008

by jiggles » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:40 pm

Well, Cal likes it.

So probably not.

Johnny Ryall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig

by Johnny Ryall » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:49 pm

Cal I thought I was bad for buying stuff on steam but it seems like you're buying anything and everything.

Good for you like, I'd be broke by now.

Cal
Joined in 2008

by Cal » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:52 pm

Johnny Ryall wrote:Cal I thought I was bad for buying stuff on steam but it seems like you're buying anything and everything.

Good for you like, I'd be broke by now.

I don't remember saying that, but clearly I was talking bollocks, if I did. Anyway, you're right, I should calm down a bit with my Steam spending. Gone a bit mad lately, time to cool it.

I created a beginner's 18-hole golf course with the course maker this afternoon - pretty good (and nice-looking, too). I've published it via the game and anyone can play it - great for just getting used to the game (nice flat greens for those tricky puts). It's called 'Summerfield CC & Spa' and you can find it via the in-game menus. BTW, the course maker is very easy to use but it really needs to be filled out with more options. It's very useable as it is, but I can see there could be a ton of improvements over time.

Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008

by Winckle » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:06 pm

How are the courses shared Cal? Is it steam workshop?

We should migrate GRcade to Flarum. :toot:
Trelliz
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008

by Trelliz » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:11 pm

I think its shared in-game, a bit like Trials - which can be quicker and smoother than the workshop at times.

jawa2 wrote:Tl;dr Trelliz isn't a miserable git; he's right.
Cal
Joined in 2008

by Cal » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:19 am

Winckle » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:06 pm wrote:How are the courses shared Cal? Is it steam workshop?

It's all done via in-game menus, as Trelliz says, like the Trials games. This makes publishing a map very easy; once you're happy with its playability in the course builder you can just hit the 'publish' button and seconds later the game appears in the online courses browser. I'm hoping the devs implement some form of sorting; I can see it quickly becoming a pain trying to quality assess the sheer number of custom courses that are starting to appear.

I made a point of playtesting my course before publishing it to check that it really worked logically, looked nice without going over the top (you can prettify your courses with a variety of in-game objects from the library) and was genuinely suitable for beginners (so some challenge, but mostly all about understanding the game mechanics in a relaxing round of golf in nice surroundings). I'm actually quite proud of the course I put together - I enjoy playing it myself. The course maker (incredibly intuitive and easy to use) takes the headache out of creating an almost instantly playable 18-hole course, whilst leaving the door open with a selection of editing facilities to really go to town on tweaking and polishing if you want to create something a bit more special.

Trelliz
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008

by Trelliz » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:13 pm

I took the plunge, and it's pretty good. The use of the stick to swing is pretty good, rather than using meters etc which are too abstract.

marillion Col
Joined in 2008

by marillion Col » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:53 pm

You guys still playing this?

How is it now that you've had a week or so on it?

I'm hoping to get back into PC gaming again soon and this will probably be one of my first purchases.

Find a better way of life - www.marillion.com
marillion Col
Joined in 2008

by marillion Col » Wed May 21, 2014 7:14 am

Ok, I take it the answer to my previous post was 'No'

Just got my first 'gaming PC' in years yesterday, having been Mac only recently and will probably pick up The Golf Club over the weekend.

I have read reports that a recent update has stopped the game launching for a lot of people but I'm sure it'll get sorted.

marillion Col
Joined in 2008

by marillion Col » Thu May 22, 2014 7:24 am

Bought it last night.

Only had 1 round on an Easy course but initial impressions are good. Played with the Xbox 360 controller and it works really well. Looking forward to getting a few more rounds in soon.

There's currently in excess of 1800 courses available so plenty to choose from. I suppose if you stick to the popular ones with good ratings you'll be ok. Don't really want to play any daft / crazy golf type courses so hope there's a way of picking these out.

Trelliz
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008

by Trelliz » Thu May 22, 2014 9:25 am

I need to play this more, was quite fun and engaging when I bought it ages ago, there have been a number of patches since then, so curious to see what's changed.

marillion Col
Joined in 2008

by marillion Col » Sat May 24, 2014 7:20 am

For those who've been playing this but maybe not in the last couple of weeks, it's now up to build 0.6

There have been a few tweaks plus there's now a Desert theme, Tournaments & Tours.

Not played 0.6 yet but will be giving it a try later. Hope they've not broken anything as I've really enjoyed what I've played so far.

Return to “Games”