World of Warcraft. Expac here. You are in a queue. Forever.

Anything to do with games at all.
Finiarél
Joined in 2010

PostRe: World of Warcraft. SoK talks to himself.
by Finiarél » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:02 pm

Ars Moriendi wrote:So me and my girlfriend stopped playing sometime back in January, a few weeks ago, she get's an email telling her that she's had her account hacked, so I take my authenticator off my account, and put it on hers. Turns out she was hacked MONTHS ago and it was too late for them to restore anything other than her G's.

An hour after taking my authenticator off my account, I got an email saying mine was hacked. Didn't see it until the next day, checked out the battle.net and saw that I had a months game time on my account, went on and made a ticket, got all my stuff back and haven't gone on since.

My girlfriend's started playing regularly again now, and it's literally like the worst thing ever. Having to watch her play, while i'm trying not too play, it's real horrible to go through. Is there any help groups I can go too? I need some help to get me through this tough period of my life. :(

1 Admit you have a problem. This may be hard, but accepting that Warcraft has taken over your life is the initial step into overcoming your addiction.

2 Consider the following: Imagine the day that you first bought the game. If you knew everything you do now, would you still have bought it? Now the follow up question: Imagine yourself in two years, still playing WoW, looking back on today when you are making the decision to quit or keep playing. How do you feel about your decision to continue?

3 Find out what has caused your addiction. What makes World of Warcraft so appealing to you? Is it the fact that it has different continents that you will never go to? Is it the fighting? Is it your "unique" role as a tank or a mage? Is it the happiness of 'pwning noobs'? Whatever it is, try to minimize this happiness in WoW, and make it a pleasure that you could also get in every day life.

Take a martial arts class. Kick some real butt.Many gamers are very interested in the martial arts, but never study it.
Read. Novels have just as much excitement and adventure as WoW, but you can expand other skills -- such as critical thinking and vocabulary -- in addition to those that interactive storytelling and game play will build. Try to equip gear that increases your reading ability (Such as monocles), this will increase your WPS (Words Per Second).
Play a less time consuming video game with all of the rewarding feelings of WoW.
Do live action RP (LARP), especially if you were from a RP server.

4 Burn yourself out by finding the ways to cheat at World of Warcraft. Find a private server to play on, with ultra fast leveling/gold. Cheating through the entire game in an hour will get you burnt out very, very quickly.
See the Matrix. Set up your own private server just for you, give yourself administrator rights and use them to explore the game. This will remove the fascination of the virtual world by showing you how it is all just a simulation with artificial rules. Returning to official WoW after having played around with admin rights might make you feel like running in a hamster wheel. You might feel like a fool spending hours of time for something that can also be done by simply typing "levelup 1". (Maybe having read and understood these lines already made the whole private server thing obsolete for you.

5 Make it a joint effort. Believe it or not, many people play World of Warcraft simply because their friends play it, and they find it enjoyable to spend time with them in WoW. If this is the case, then convince your friends to stop playing (with these steps, if needed), or even better, find another game to play. Otherwise, explain to your friends and family what you're doing, and ask them to help you stay on track. When you can't trust yourself to keep away from WoW, you have to trust someone else to stop you.

6 Set up parental controls for yourself. Make it so your play-time is limited, and use a complicated password that you are sure to quickly forget. Or, ask a friend or family member to set the parental controls with a password you don't know.

7 Schedule other activities with your free time, so you won't have time to play WoW. One of the most effective way is to get a part time job and book every free time you have to work. Hang out with your friends, play basketball, engage in extra curricular activities at school (such as clubs or sport teams) or volunteer. The important thing is that they keep you outside of your home, away from your computer. You can find that there are many things that are just as exciting as playing WoW. Remember, your "guild" online is no substitute for the company of real friends.

8 Give away your bags and gold (don't mail them to an alt) and delete your character. ... Be aware though that, while it may seem like an alluringly simple solution once you mustered the determination to do it, it might also backfire later, giving you even more drive to start a wholly new character, because this act for itself doesn't cure addiction, but is merely a symptom or consequence of a decision or temporary mood. A tool for losing interest in WoW is having done everything and having everything available, so when you delete your character, there is a reason for playing again, because it's a bit like a reset with everything gone. Having your high-level character fully equipped and available all the time can be a more powerful tool for breaking addiction, because there is so little left in the game that poses any challenge.

9 Sell your account. There are many players and lazy people out there, willing to pay for an existing account. This is a great way to stop playing, because then someone else takes your character, and you won't be able to control it any longer. This is a nice way to quit, but not stop addiction.

10 Learn to detest Blizzard. This might sound funny or weird, but if you develop some standards by simply trying to be treated fairly by game masters all the time, paying attention to bugs and incompleteness in the game and doing some research on the basic business policies of a company like Blizzard, you might start feeling that there are other people deserving your money a lot more.

11 Get a perma ban.

glowy69 wrote:Being from the hood won't save you from an alien mate.
Zellery
Joined in 2008

by Zellery » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:43 pm

I'm still shocked to this day that I managed to go cold turkey and just stop playing this completely.

Although, having no money was probably a pretty big factor in that. :lol:

Saint of Killers
Joined in 2008

by Saint of Killers » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:31 pm

I, on the other hand, can stop and start when I like Image

Nanook
Joined in 2008
AKA: Level_7_Boss

by Nanook » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:51 pm

I'm not going back until Paladin's are forced to wear pink armour.

Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

by Qikz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:58 am

Not to give the obvious option here, but if your girlfriend is playing. Why not play with her?

The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
Joer
Joined in 2008

by Joer » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:57 pm

StayDead wrote:Not to give the obvious option here, but if your girlfriend is playing. Why not play with her?

How's sexy time going to help?

EDIT: Also, awesome post Fini. :lol:

I was watching her play again last night and now I want to go herbing on my Druid just to level up my inscription. :lol:

Saint of Killers
Joined in 2008

by Saint of Killers » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:04 pm

Pala tier 2 :lol: :wub:

Zellery
Joined in 2008

by Zellery » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:32 pm

Saint of Killers wrote:I, on the other hand, can stop and start when I like Image

You not raiding is a big part of that I feel.

It's a lot easier to just stop and start if you're only questing, pvping, levelling alts up etc.

Finiarél
Joined in 2010

by Finiarél » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:36 pm

Zellery wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:I, on the other hand, can stop and start when I like Image

It's a lot easier to just stop and start if you're only questing, pvping, levelling alts up etc.

I was in the top Raiding guild on our server with my holy pala and one of the best on PVP guilds with the hunter. Just cancel your account and un-install, Give all your stuff away aswell, unlearn professions. I have no desire to go back to it now.

Zellery
Joined in 2008

by Zellery » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:55 am

Finiarél wrote:
Zellery wrote:

I was in the top Raiding guild on our server with my holy pala and one of the best on PVP guilds with the hunter. Just cancel your account and un-install, Give all your stuff away aswell, unlearn professions. I have no desire to go back to it now.

I have. :|

I was just explaining why it's a lot easier for someone to drop WoW if they haven't got the investment of receiving the very best items from raids and the actual enjoyment of downing big bosses as part of a group of friends.

Saint of Killers
Joined in 2008

by Saint of Killers » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:14 pm

Zellery wrote:

Good point.

Denster
Joined in 2008

by Denster » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:26 am

Saint of Killers wrote:
Zellery wrote:

Good point.

I'm the same but i don't raid either.

Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

by Qikz » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:55 am

Now have both heroic trinkets from Firelands and also got my Heroic hands (teir) today too. Tried out a new Staghelm tactic where I stood outside of scythe and I strawberry floating smashed healing meters. It owned so hard.

Gideon
Joined in 2010
AKA: Stormcaller

by Gideon » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:02 pm

Saw the Ashes of Al'ar drop last night, I rolled a 3 :(

Although on the plus side, I finally nabbed the third camel from Uldum a couple of nights ago, I've been after that for months. 125 mounts and counting.

Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

by Qikz » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:55 pm

Touring Orphan: If my dad were alive, he'd put out the fires.

strawberry floating hell! :lol:

Our guilds still stuck on HC Ragnaros 10. We got to phase 4 a couple of times but kept having a load of random gooseberry fool deaths before then. There's far too much damage from his random gooseberry fool he fires around during the add phase.

Finiarél
Joined in 2010

by Finiarél » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:19 pm

:fp:
It looks like a lovely place... But nah.

Mists of Pandaria

New class: monk.
New race: pandaren. They will be playable for alliance & horde.
New PvE scenarios, talent trees, pet battles & more.
The Pandaren

New racials for pandarens!
Bouncy: reduces fall damage by half.
Inner peace: double rested XP.
Gourmond: +15 to cooking.
Epicurean: double stats to food buffs.

Pokémon?

Exodist
Joined in 2011

by Exodist » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:31 pm

I like the chinese setting but I'm not sure about the pandas, can't really take it that seriously myself. I'm certainly interested in seeing player reaction to this. I loved Wrath, beat the Lich King and everything. But, I played the oh so popular Paladin, blizzard made them gooseberry fool, and the Cata content was, for me, very lacking. Queueing for half an hour for a HC, getting the Halls of Origination, and wiping on the first mob, prompting "tank why no mark for CC" to be replied with "whats cc" was not fun. I like how they tried to make the content more challenging, but it just made pugs excruciatingly frustrating, more so when I only have like one friend who played it (who granted got me 5 second queues as a healer, but can't play together all the time). By the time I got to raiding I wasn't really interested. So, I'm certainly interested, I just don't ultimately know what the content will be like, which is a big factor for me.

Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

by Qikz » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:43 am

HOOOOLY gooseberry fool GOING TO BE SOOO SICK! Pandaeren Monks were amazing badass cool in Warcraft 3. The setting looks BEAUTIFUL! :mrgreen:

DamageInc
Joined in 2010

by DamageInc » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:14 am

While the Scenario's and the pet battles sound interesting this bit sounds a bit wtf
Ranged Weapons

Hunter minimum range is gone!
Hunter melee weapon is gone!
Ranged slot for all other characters are gone.
Relics are gone.
Rogues and warriors can now throw their melee weapon
Wands become main hand weapons

guessing thats so they can put proper stats on hunter weapons, glad the minimum range is gone though, on some bosses with giant hit boxes it makes you stand a mile back away from the group to dps

The new setting also looks kind of interesting, but will need to wait longer for more information really

The new talent system looks terrible though, really really bad

but on the whole I don't think I'll be getting it on release, got bored of wow in cata and can't get myself that motivated for this

Saint of Killers
Joined in 2008

by Saint of Killers » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:48 am

Return to “Games”