Thief

Anything to do with games at all.
tomvek
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostThief
by tomvek » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:08 pm

Eidos Montreal has teased its next project on its official site, and the font delivering the message has led to speculation that the unannounced game could be Thief 4.

Eidos Montreal is currently at work on Deus Ex 3, the latest instalment in the espionage tinged first person series that's been shrouded in an appropriate level of mystery, with few details having made it beyond the studio walls.

A post on the developer's official site says the studio's next project will be revealed soon, employing a font familiar to fans of the Thief series. Scant details indeed, but enough to stir forums into a speculating frenzy.

The Thief games are held in high regard, with the last instalment, Deadly Shadows, receiving an 8.8 upon review back in 2004.

No official word has come from Eidos on what the Montreal studios' next game is – but expect more concrete details soon.

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/972/972975p1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last edited by tomvek on Mon May 11, 2009 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Eidos Teases... Thief 4?
by Christopher » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:10 pm

Hopefully when S-E take over they'll be hands off with the western games.

Hero of Canton
Joined in 2008

by Hero of Canton » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:11 pm

suzzopher wrote:Hopefully when S-E take over they'll be hands off with the western games.

Yeah, heaven forbid the western games should be beautifully-presented and immaculately polished. :|

DML wrote:F'NARR!
Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:14 pm

Hero of Canton wrote:
suzzopher wrote:Hopefully when S-E take over they'll be hands off with the western games.

Yeah, heaven forbid the western games should be beautifully-presented and immaculately polished. :|

I am a huge S-E fanboy but games like Thief and Hitman have to retain the stylings that they have built up over the years and not be changed to fit with a Japanese company. I like my Japanese games emo and moody. I like my western games gritty and atmospheric.

Hexx
Joined in 2008

by Hexx » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:15 pm

WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT

Although Deadly Shadows did "wrap up" the trilogy/series nicely.

randomguy
Joined in 2008

by randomguy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:16 pm

The only stealth series that's really worth playing. I hope this is true.

Codename 47
Joined in 2008

by Codename 47 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:25 pm

Funny thing this, i was reading through one of my old mags(one with GTA 4 review in) and one of the stories, in the rumour mill, is about how Eidos said that the only thing they'll say about Eidos Montreal's next project begins with the letter T.

Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008

by Winckle » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:25 pm

Hero of Canton wrote:

Oh dear lord, and heaven forbid Japanese games could have satisfying gameplay and competent online functionality.

We should migrate GRcade to Flarum. :toot:
Hero of Canton
Joined in 2008

by Hero of Canton » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:39 pm

suzzopher wrote:
Hero of Canton wrote:

I am a huge S-E fanboy but games like Thief and Hitman have to retain the stylings that they have built up over the years and not be changed to fit with a Japanese company. I like my Japanese games emo and moody. I like my western games gritty and atmospheric.

I don't see why Squeenix would do that. It's interested in publishing games for a western audience, not Japanesifying them.

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:40 pm

Hero of Canton wrote:
suzzopher wrote:
Hero of Canton wrote:

I don't see why Squeenix would do that. It's interested in publishing games for a western audience, not Japanesifying them.

But that is all I said I hope for in my post :|

Hero of Canton
Joined in 2008

by Hero of Canton » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:42 pm

Winckle wrote:
Hero of Canton wrote:

Oh dear lord, and heaven forbid Japanese games could have satisfying gameplay and competent online functionality.

Yeah, no Japanese games are satisfying at all.

Hero of Canton
Joined in 2008

by Hero of Canton » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:43 pm

suzzopher wrote:
Hero of Canton wrote:
suzzopher wrote:
Hero of Canton wrote:

But that is all I said I hope for in my post :|

But why would you think anything else? And it's not a bad thing that the company will be involved, because it'll likely ensure its games are produced to the highest standard. It's its attention to detail that's helped make it so celebrated and so successful.

Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008

by Winckle » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:48 pm

Hero of Canton wrote:
Winckle wrote:
Hero of Canton wrote:

And no Western games are beautifully-presented and immaculately polished? :P

$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:05 pm

If this is true, I'm going to dedicate a truly hardcore one hour wank to it.

Even though Thief 3 wraps things up neatly as Hexx says (I've not completed 3), I would love for a game engine to employ Thief mechanics all over again and be able to play in the Thief universe again.

I hope it doesn't use any of Eidos' proprietary engines. They're rather gooseberry fool. I also hope they don't go for Unreal 3.0 either. I would love for them to have the Assassins Creed engine licensed out to them. Unfortunately I don't have that much faith in Eidos to believe they could make it stand out competently from Assassins Creed gameplay.

Edit signature
Your signature will appear like this in posts
Hero of Canton
Joined in 2008

by Hero of Canton » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:16 pm

Winckle wrote:
Hero of Canton wrote:
Winckle wrote:
Hero of Canton wrote:

I didn't say that. How's Key Stage 1 coming along, by the way?

Alpha eX
Joined in 2008

by Alpha eX » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:24 pm

Hero of Canton wrote:
Winckle wrote:
Hero of Canton wrote:
Winckle wrote:
Hero of Canton wrote:

I didn't say that. How's Key Stage 1 coming along, by the way?

HoC and his writing team after coming up with that clever joke.

$ilva $hadow
Joined in 2008

by $ilva $hadow » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:27 pm

:lol: It wasn't even a clever joke. HoC just shot himself in the foot.

Edit signature
Your signature will appear like this in posts
Alpha eX
Joined in 2008

by Alpha eX » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:28 pm

$ilva $hadow wrote::lol: It wasn't even a clever joke. HoC just shot himself in the foot.

I know, I was being sarcastic :lol:

Hero of Canton
Joined in 2008

by Hero of Canton » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:34 pm

$ilva $hadow wrote::lol: It wasn't even a clever joke. HoC just shot himself in the foot.

I agree that it wasn't a clever joke, but how did I shoot myself in the foot? I'd only have done that had I been completely wrong (which I wasn't).

Also: your mum.

Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008

by Winckle » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:41 pm

I wasn't trolling or anything Canton, I just loved how you jumped exclusively on the positive aspects of Japanese games. I really don't get on with Japanese games other than Nintendo's stuff and some Capcom. I find JRPGs to be trash and most Japanese publishers don't publish on PC, which is where I play most of my games. Suda51 is a genius however, though he tends to enjoy Western games does he not? I seem to remember him running some kind of even to show off Western games to Japanese audiences.

I do like the direction Sony is taking with PSN though, Noby Noby boy is great fun. And Pixeljunk Eden is stunning.

Return to “Games”