Xbox 360 Games on Demand

Anything to do with games at all.
Fishfingers
Joined in 2008

PostXbox 360 Games on Demand
by Fishfingers » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:45 pm

Microsoft had too much news for the keynote, so they're taking care of the spillover now: First up, full Xbox Live games on demand. That's right, you can download Mass Effect, Bioshock and more. Using a real credit card—no Xbox Live points—with retail-like pricing. They're coming in August.

Not every game, but it is a mix of third-party stuff: Sonic, call of Duty 2, Crackdown, Bioshock Mass Effect and more. Dodged whether games will be downloadable the day they're released to retail. Also don't expect to use your credit card direct for anything now: "We're not getting rid of the point system." Booo.

Still, the disc's time is clearly ticking.

http://gizmodo.com/5274395/xbox-live-fu ... r-bioshock

Sounds good but those prices better be GOOD.

Jax
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox 360 Games on Demand
by Jax » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:46 pm

Might be needing a fuckoff massive hard drive then.

Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Garth » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:50 pm

SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by SEP » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:52 pm

We're I'm gonna need a bigger boat hard drive!

Iron Nan
Joined in 2008

by Iron Nan » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:22 pm

Call me cynical but this seems like an effort to control the prices more then anything else, if there's no over produced physical product then there's no need to discount it after all.

Tragic Magic
Joined in 2008

by Tragic Magic » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:54 pm

I won't be using this. I prefer DVD's.

Sander
Joined in 2008

by Sander » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:55 pm

IRON NAN wrote:Call me cynical but this seems like an effort to control the prices more then anything else, if there's no over produced physical product then there's no need to discount it after all.

Didn’t some Arcade games come down in price after a while? If a certain game doesn’t sell well (anymore) the publisher will try to lower the price to sell more.

JiggerJay
Joined in 2008

by JiggerJay » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:15 am

What the strawberry float! you can't have 2 different price schemes, 1 that uses your virtual money, and real values for full games?

I guess somewhere in the download thread I owe some banana split an apology.

Skarjo wrote:You can buy all the fancy houses you want, we still remember you in a bath covered in ketchup for a free copy of CSI.

Instagram Twitter
TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:11 am

Sander wrote:
IRON NAN wrote:Call me cynical but this seems like an effort to control the prices more then anything else, if there's no over produced physical product then there's no need to discount it after all.

Didn’t some Arcade games come down in price after a while? If a certain game doesn’t sell well (anymore) the publisher will try to lower the price to sell more.

Interestingly, one of the things that Valve has found is that with a lower price-tag, some software gets INSANE sales spikes, hence their weekend promotions.

Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Garth » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:00 am

MICROSOFT: Global 'Games on Demand' service heading to 360
E3'09: New service lets users download newer releases direct to console

Microsoft has revealed that it will be offering a Games on Demand service for Xbox 360 in just a matter of months.

Games on Demand launches this August and will let console owners download 360 games direct to their console.

It's not yet clear if these 'full retail games' as they were described - the demo shown to journalists after the format holder's E3 press conference showed titles like Assassin's Creed, Burnout Paradise and BioShock - will have day and date release with physical SKUs or if the releases would be more staggered and allow titles to 'premiere' at retail first.

"Live has been super successful around digital distrubiton from XBLA to Originals and DLC," said Xbox Live's Marc Whitten. "This is a natural progression."

He added that new games will be added to the service every week.

The service also ditches the MS Points payment system, and instead allows players to purchase direct with a credit card in actual currency.

Games on Demand also offers an Amazon-like user-rating system.

Whitten confirmed to MCV that the service will launch worldwide.

"We 've talked lcosely with our retail partners on this - it is not a zero sum or win-lose situation," he said when asked about retail reaction to the service, saying that it just added a new way to purchase games.

Retail is "not going away - it's still really important" he added.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/34528/Games-o ... g-to-360rn

Stig
Joined in 2008

by Stig » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:07 am

They'll have to release a bigger HDD surely.

At a reasonable price (going on current prices this is unlikely).

Kiran
Joined in 2009

by Kiran » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:10 am

The prices would need to be much lower for me to be interested. Most of these games can be picked up new for less than $19.99 and 2nd hand even less. Given that once you've finished with them they have no re-sell value, I couldn't justify spending more than about £5.

Hexx
Joined in 2008

by Hexx » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:14 am

Price too high.

You can get Mass Effect (new) instore for less that $20 (in pounds :P)

satriales
Joined in 2008

by satriales » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:16 am

I think the main think they are trying to do is to get rid of the 2nd hand market. You can't sell a downloaded game once you've got bored of it.

Dante
Joined in 2008
AKA: DanteCWA

by Dante » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:50 am

I like the service on PSN, but the thing is - the Ps3 has at least a removal HDD that can fit all the games on; 120gb isn't going to be near enough to support this; unless they expect you to buy, play, delete and move on.

A rental service would be awesome

Come join the GRcade World of Warcraft guild on the EU "The Maelstrom" server
Tanks wanted!
GRcadians!
Kiran
Joined in 2009

by Kiran » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:12 pm

Dante wrote:unless they expect you to buy, play, delete and move on.

That is what they expect. Even with a massive drive, you'd still reach a point where you don't play the game anymore. What would be really excellent is some kind of service that would allow you to trade the games with other Live owners. Perhaps there could be a fee of which the publisher gets most of it.

KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:14 pm

If they want this to take off, they're going to have to drop the price of the 120GB HDD. It's at least £50 too expensive.

Return to “Games”