General PC Help Thread - OP updated with useful links - READ

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
John Matrix
Member
Joined in 2008

Re: General PC Help Thread - Hardware guide p1 - See OP
Postby John Matrix » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:45 pm

TheTurnipKing wrote:Not even on bootup? Pretty much every PC will give beep the internal speaker during POST that comes from the case or motherboard speaker. Is it possibly disconnected?

Maybe one beep as it turned on but I'm sure that's it.
User avatar
KjGarly
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter
Location: Liverpool

Re: General PC Help Thread - Hardware guide p1 - See OP
Postby KjGarly » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:32 pm

Wondering if anyone can help me out here.

At work we use some shitty radio system (Amazing music or something it's called) and it uses SD cards. They always send 4GB SD cards which obviously have some sort of software on but whenever you format them it only gives you 1GB of space, any idea why? Or how to fully wipe it?
Image ImageImage
User avatar
Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008
Location: Liverpool

Re: General PC Help Thread - Hardware guide p1 - See OP
Postby Winckle » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:02 am

Just bite the bullet and buy a decent case David.
User avatar
Mr Chips
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Nubbing

PIMP MY PC
Postby Mr Chips » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:10 pm

Hello.

I would like to upgrade my PC that I inherited off my late grandfather (r.i.p, will always have good memories :) )

Here is basic information of the specs using a program called "Piriform Speccy"

    Summary
    Operating System
    MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz 39 °C
    Wolfdale 45nm Technology
    RAM
    2.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (5-5-5-16)
    Motherboard
    Intel Corporation DG33FB (CPU1) 35 °C
    Graphics
    VW202 (1680x1050@60Hz)
    512MB GeForce 9500 GT (Gigabyte) 42 °C
    Hard Drives
    488GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD501LJ ATA Device (SATA) 27 °C
    Optical Drives
    TSSTcorp DVD-ROM SH-D163B ATA Device
    LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S ATA Device (Two more slots left)

    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

Further information: There are two free memory slots and 6 free PCI slots. From the front of the PC 2 out of four disk drive slots are free (will likely get a blu ray burner down the line) and 1 out of 2 smaller slots free (one of which is currently used to provide two front USB slots).

I have never even opened a PC, let alone installed new hardware, but will use google to learn that (or if anyone could give me some useful website suggestions that would help). I could just do to know if I bought the graphics card mentioned in this thread (the Gigabyte ATI HD6850 1GB PCI-E Graphics Card) and a processor(Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache), both seemingly offering the best bang for buck would they work in this PC?

I will likely not bother with a hard drive for now as they all are a bit pricey at the minute.
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

Re: General PC Help Thread - Hardware guide p1 - See OP
Postby Grumpy David » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:34 pm

Winckle wrote:Just bite the bullet and buy a decent case David.



I've been eyeing up the Coolermaster case from the front page build. I like that it has an additional support structure for heavy graphics cards. The ASUS fatty is a heavy as strawberry float! Just trying to justify it to myself, as well as wondering what I'd do with a spare cheapo PC case!
User avatar
TheTurnipKing
Member
Joined in 2008

Re: PIMP MY PC
Postby TheTurnipKing » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:33 pm

Mr Chips wrote:Hello.

I would like to upgrade my PC that I inherited off my late grandfather (r.i.p, will always have good memories :) )

Here is basic information of the specs using a program called "Piriform Speccy"

    Summary
    Operating System
    MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz 39 °C
    Wolfdale 45nm Technology
    RAM
    2.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (5-5-5-16)
    Motherboard
    Intel Corporation DG33FB (CPU1) 35 °C
    Graphics
    VW202 (1680x1050@60Hz)
    512MB GeForce 9500 GT (Gigabyte) 42 °C
    Hard Drives
    488GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD501LJ ATA Device (SATA) 27 °C
    Optical Drives
    TSSTcorp DVD-ROM SH-D163B ATA Device
    LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S ATA Device (Two more slots left)

    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

Further information: There are two free memory slots and 6 free PCI slots. From the front of the PC 2 out of four disk drive slots are free (will likely get a blu ray burner down the line) and 1 out of 2 smaller slots free (one of which is currently used to provide two front USB slots).

I have never even opened a PC, let alone installed new hardware, but will use google to learn that (or if anyone could give me some useful website suggestions that would help). I could just do to know if I bought the graphics card mentioned in this thread (the Gigabyte ATI HD6850 1GB PCI-E Graphics Card) and a processor(Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache), both seemingly offering the best bang for buck would they work in this PC?

I will likely not bother with a hard drive for now as they all are a bit pricey at the minute.

The GPU probably would. The CPU would also require you to change the motherboard and RAM.
User avatar
TheTurnipKing
Member
Joined in 2008

Re: General PC Help Thread - Hardware guide p1 - See OP
Postby TheTurnipKing » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:33 pm

Grumpy David wrote:
Winckle wrote:Just bite the bullet and buy a decent case David.



I've been eyeing up the Coolermaster case from the front page build. I like that it has an additional support structure for heavy graphics cards. The ASUS fatty is a heavy as strawberry float! Just trying to justify it to myself, as well as wondering what I'd do with a spare cheapo PC case!

Put a cheapo PC in it?
User avatar
satriales
Member
Joined in 2008

Re: PIMP MY PC
Postby satriales » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:51 pm

Mr Chips wrote:Hello.

I would like to upgrade my PC that I inherited off my late grandfather (r.i.p, will always have good memories :) )

Here is basic information of the specs using a program called "Piriform Speccy"

    Summary
    Operating System
    MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz 39 °C
    Wolfdale 45nm Technology
    RAM
    2.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (5-5-5-16)
    Motherboard
    Intel Corporation DG33FB (CPU1) 35 °C
    Graphics
    VW202 (1680x1050@60Hz)
    512MB GeForce 9500 GT (Gigabyte) 42 °C
    Hard Drives
    488GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD501LJ ATA Device (SATA) 27 °C
    Optical Drives
    TSSTcorp DVD-ROM SH-D163B ATA Device
    LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S ATA Device (Two more slots left)

    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

Further information: There are two free memory slots and 6 free PCI slots. From the front of the PC 2 out of four disk drive slots are free (will likely get a blu ray burner down the line) and 1 out of 2 smaller slots free (one of which is currently used to provide two front USB slots).

I have never even opened a PC, let alone installed new hardware, but will use google to learn that (or if anyone could give me some useful website suggestions that would help). I could just do to know if I bought the graphics card mentioned in this thread (the Gigabyte ATI HD6850 1GB PCI-E Graphics Card) and a processor(Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache), both seemingly offering the best bang for buck would they work in this PC?

I will likely not bother with a hard drive for now as they all are a bit pricey at the minute.

I think instead of spending money on upgrading that PC you'd be better off building a new one. To save a little bit of money you could re-use the HDD, DVD drives, and maybe the Case from the old PC.
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

Re: General PC Help Thread - Hardware guide p1 - See OP
Postby Grumpy David » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:42 pm

TheTurnipKing wrote:
Grumpy David wrote:
Winckle wrote:Just bite the bullet and buy a decent case David.



I've been eyeing up the Coolermaster case from the front page build. I like that it has an additional support structure for heavy graphics cards. The ASUS fatty is a heavy as strawberry float! Just trying to justify it to myself, as well as wondering what I'd do with a spare cheapo PC case!

Put a cheapo PC in it?


I'd be spending more money on something I didn't need if I did that. I suppose I could hold on to it in case my mum's Dell PC breaks down, but for now at least her PC seems fine - the only thing it could benefit from really would be W7 64 bit so I could stick an extra 2gb of RAM in the Dell. Vista with 2gb of RAM isn't ideal.
User avatar
Mr Chips
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Nubbing

Re: General PC Help Thread - Hardware guide p1 - See OP
Postby Mr Chips » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:50 am

Cheers for the advice chaps. What be the best motherboard then for the processor and graphics card I want ?
User avatar
Falsey
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

Re: General PC Help Thread - Hardware guide p1 - See OP
Postby Falsey » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:58 am

Er, there a literally a million options.
It is never too late to give up on your dreams.
User avatar
TheTurnipKing
Member
Joined in 2008

Re: General PC Help Thread - Hardware guide p1 - See OP
Postby TheTurnipKing » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:12 pm

PC BUYING in a nutshell:
The most expensive is obviously the best.

Unless price is a factor, in which case the cheapest is best.

Unless the cheapest sucks too much and lacks too many features you actually want, in which case you'll probably go for something something in the middle.


You can apply this handy buying guide to just about any component.
User avatar
jamcc
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

Re: General PC Help Thread - Hardware guide p1 - See OP
Postby jamcc » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:50 pm

Okay, a catchup from a few months ago.... After not being able to do a factory image reset of my Dell laptop (as I've had the hard drive replaced - thanks for not telling me that bit, Dell :? ) I was unable to reset my laptop without buying a Vista disc off Dell (apparently Windows 7 or 8 wouldn't even work on my laptop :x ). Paying £50 for Vista again was a no no from me, so I left it and put up with my laptop being a bit sluggish.

However, my parents have sold their house and in clearing out the garage I fond my mum's Dell Vista reinstallation DVD for her Studio 17 (I have a Studio 15). Will it work on mine?? :o

Please say yes. Please say yes. Please say yes. Please say yes. Please say yes. Please say yes.
User avatar
systematic
Member
Joined in 2010
Contact:

Re: General PC Help Thread - Hardware guide p1 - See OP
Postby systematic » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:22 pm

PC upgrade time! :D

Image
User avatar
Somebody Else's Problem
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: Wherever you want me to be, baby

Re: General PC Help Thread - Hardware guide p1 - See OP
Postby Somebody Else's Problem » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:32 pm

That's a Wii, not a PC.
Image
User avatar
systematic
Member
Joined in 2010
Contact:

Re: General PC Help Thread - Hardware guide p1 - See OP
Postby systematic » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:57 am

You're right ;)

Image

At the native Wii resolution I get 60FPS and 100% speed just using the integrated 2500K GPU and the CPU overclocked at 4GHz. The motherboard has built-in bluetooth so I can use a real Wiimote as well.
User avatar
Joer
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Ramsgate

Re: General PC Help Thread - Hardware guide p1 - See OP
Postby Joer » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:18 am

Joer wrote:Is there a way to mark a file like, just a program that'll let you ctrl and click something and it'll mark it permanently until you ctrl click it again? I want it for marking episodes of shows i've seen that i've not watched in a while if that helps make you understand what I mean.
Image
I'm trying to lose weight, lots of it, and since I come here every day, this'll be like a nagging reminder to myself every time I post I should be doing something else.
User avatar
Falsey
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

Re: General PC Help Thread - Hardware guide p1 - See OP
Postby Falsey » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:23 am

Not as a standard windows feature.
It is never too late to give up on your dreams.
User avatar
TheTurnipKing
Member
Joined in 2008

Re: General PC Help Thread - Hardware guide p1 - See OP
Postby TheTurnipKing » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:27 am

Falsey wrote:Not as a standard windows feature.

I suppose you could use an attribute tag. It's really not ideal for what you have in mind though.
User avatar
Falsey
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

Re: General PC Help Thread - Hardware guide p1 - See OP
Postby Falsey » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:31 am

Drag and drop into another folder?
It is never too late to give up on your dreams.

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bigcheez2k3, BTB, chalkitdown, degoose, Finiarél, Frank, Garth, Karl, Mafro, Minty14, Monkey Man, Nathanbrains, Ord, Rax, RogueLeader and 40 guests