Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Glowy69
Joined in 2008

PostRe: HDTV Thread.
by Glowy69 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:27 pm

They've copied Samsung basically

Fabian Delph is a banana split.

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Mommy Christmas
Multiball!
Joined in 2009

by Mommy Christmas » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:43 pm

glowy69 wrote:They've copied Samsung basically

Which is a big plus, right?

:dread:
HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:43 pm

All TVs will eventually be bezel free, it just makes sense especially with 3D.

No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Joined in 2008

by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:25 pm

maybe dunno who came up with the idea first but the LG one looks nicer imo with the stainless steel like stand. Whereas the Samsung's looks very plasticky

HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:45 pm

No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:

maybe dunno who came up with the idea first but the LG one looks nicer imo with the stainless steel like stand. Whereas the Samsung's looks very plasticky

Have you seen them in person? I don't think the Samsung one looks particularly plasticky at all.

Its more whats not there than what is anyway.

No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Joined in 2008

by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:33 pm

HSH28 wrote:
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:

Have you seen them in person? I don't think the Samsung one looks particularly plasticky at all.

Its more whats not there than what is anyway.

hmm maybe it aint as plastic looking as i thought then.

I like the LG one having nearly no bezel at all. Perfect for 3D.

Mr.Jeff
Joined in 2008

Postwelll
by Mr.Jeff » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:43 pm

So I'm currently eyeing up tv's for my first ever proper tv and have spotted this.

My only two problems are: i)it's Currys, ii)their extended warrantee is ridiculously priced.

Any thoughts?

Grumpy David
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

by Grumpy David » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:59 pm

Pretty much the best TV of 2011 and at an insane price for the 46" version too. Buy that ASAP.

Forget about warranties for things which don't get moved about constantly. Or get contents insurance to cover it.

Glowy69
Joined in 2008

by Glowy69 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:02 pm

How is £170 for 3 years over priced? :?

Thats like £60 a year. If you use your contents you'll have to pay your excess too. Just go and ask them, they'll generally do you a discount, I know we would

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Mr.Jeff
Joined in 2008

PostOh god
by Mr.Jeff » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:06 pm

Well I'm stil with my 'rents just now so insurance is a big mystical world of "What?" to me right now so I'm not entirely sure how that would turn out.

£170 over three years sounds fine when you say it like that but when you instead say it as "this tv is now £870, would you also like some really expensive glasses as well?", it loses some it's lustre.

Maybe I'm just thinking about this the wrong way.

Glowy69
Joined in 2008

by Glowy69 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:08 pm

Not at all mate, if you feel you could replace if it broke then dont bother.

Also, I have heard gooseberry fool reports about currys mastercare, ours isnt any better but just be wary

Mr.Jeff
Joined in 2008

PostAugh
by Mr.Jeff » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:12 pm

Am I right in thinking there's a 1 year guarrantee as standard anyway? Their rather unhelpful FAQ seems to suggest as much.

If anything, I'm less concerned about anything going wrong 2/3 years from now and more what happens in the short term such as it turning up and having one damn annoying dead pixel in the middle of the screen. :P

HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:23 pm

glowy69 wrote:How is £170 for 3 years over priced? :?

John Lewis give you a 5 year guarentee for free.

Granted that TV is more expensive there, but then they have the never knowingly undersold promise, so he might be able to get it there at the same price as Currys anyway.

Mr.Jeff
Joined in 2008

Postgood point!
by Mr.Jeff » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:31 pm

That's a point, I never thought of that. My brother works for John Lewis so I can at least ask him and see if he reckons it would work.

Also, they're no longer allowed to say their guarantee is free because of places like Currys. It now has to quoated as "at no additional cost" because being free implies it had a cost applied to originally.

Saint of Killers
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Augh
by Saint of Killers » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:35 pm

Mr.Jeff wrote:Am I right in thinking there's a 1 year guarrantee as standard anyway? Their rather unhelpful FAQ seems to suggest as much.

Yup. If it strawberry floats up of its own accord then you're covered.

Last edited by Saint of Killers on Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grumpy David
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

by Grumpy David » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:36 pm

John Lewis won't price match a web-exclusive price. Has to be in a retail store AFAIK.

Mr.Jeff
Joined in 2008

Postyou are a penis SoK
by Mr.Jeff » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:42 pm

Saint of Killers wrote:Yup. If it strawberry floats up of its own accord then you're covered.

That's something at least. Being paranoid about getting screen burn should help me at least not have that problem unlike a certain individual so if anything does go, it'll hopefully be more than likely the machine itself.

So basically the only thing left to worry about is dead pixels but I guess that's the same with everyone.

Saint of Killers
Joined in 2008

PostRe: yeah definitely looks that way :lol:
by Saint of Killers » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:00 pm

Mr.Jeff wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:Yup. If it strawberry floats up of its own accord then you're covered.

That's something at least. Being paranoid about getting screen burn should help me at least not have that problem unlike a certain individual so if anything does go, it'll hopefully be more than likely the machine itself.

So basically the only thing left to worry about is dead pixels but I guess that's the same with everyone.

First of all, strawberry float you. :lol: :oops: Secondly, screen burn (or the more likely but less permanent/serious but still hella annoying image retention -to get screen burn with current plasmas is meant to be almost impossible) won't be covered by the 12 month warranty. Apologies if you knew that but I couldn't figure out what you meant by Being paranoid about getting screen burn should help me at least not have that problem. :fp: at self. If you're really worried about it then go for a LCD as I don't think they can suffer from IR.

Mr.Jeff
Joined in 2008

PostAhahahahaha
by Mr.Jeff » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:07 pm

I was meaning that after your hilarious incident, it's made me wary enough to be paranoid about image retention if/when I get the TV. To the point of having an alarm set up every hour or two to switch to some lovely static just as a precaution.

Glowy69
Joined in 2008

PostRe: good point!
by Glowy69 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:55 am

Mr.Jeff wrote:That's a point, I never thought of that. My brother works for John Lewis so I can at least ask him and see if he reckons it would work.

Also, they're no longer allowed to say their guarantee is free because of places like Currys. It now has to quoated as "at no additional cost" because being free implies it had a cost applied to originally.

Lewis's guarantee doesn't cover half the things it should

No accidents
No pixel drop out

Just mechanical failure

But yeah it's still free

Return to “Stuff”