Brexit

Our best bits.

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

Remain a member of the European Union
80%
Leave the European Union
20%

Total votes: 279
Knoyleo
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Knoyleo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:21 pm

Hexx wrote:strawberry float em. I hope they suffer. They actually deserve it (unlike their victims)

Charming.

I'm not sure what distinction you're making here, either. Unlike their victims? Brexit isn't like passover, it won't skip your house if you put the X in leave box. In many cases those who voted for it will be the victims, too, along with plenty who didn't vote for it. Unless of course you're referring to the victims of the leave campaign, in which case there's still no schadenfreude to be had, because the campaign leaders won't be the ones suffering.

I know you're utterly convinced that everyone who voted Brexit is a colossal moron, who willingly chose to believe a load of obvious lies, and so deserve everything bad they get. They plunged the country into uncertainty for a laugh, because they're a load of racists, who don't understand the idea of consequences, and so you want to see things go badly for the country as a whole, just so they have to suffer.

What you really want is things to go badly, so that you can feel better for being right all along.

People voted for Brexit for plenty of different reasons, and it's safe to say, regardless of whether you agree with them, most leave voters voted so because they thought it was the better option. Arguments about the campaign, the information/misinformation available, and who's ultimately responsible for engaging the electorate, politicians, or the people themselves; can all be had, but don't change the fact that by and large, people will tend to pick what they think is best.

Moggy wrote:A bit of schadenfreude and laughing on an internet form at idiots in Cornwall who want to have their cake and eat it, in no way compares to the above.

It’s a horrible horrible thing but we really need Brexit and Trump to really really hurt the idiots that supported them.

No, laughing at people who are going to see hard times because of bad choices is not as bad as racism. That doesn't make it a good thing to do, though. Cuts in funding will still have devastating effects for all of us in the areas that are affected. Areas will get poorer, austerity will grip tighter, and ultimately, the vulnerable will suffer, and die. But at least you and Hexx can feel good because the people of Cornwall deserved it.

People have suffered under nearly a decade of economic stagnation and austerity at this point. If you honestly think that people are going to start voting the way you think is right now, just because Brexit has a negative impact on them, you're deluded. Hard times harden opinions. Doubly so if the other side, rather than offer a helping hand, decide to sit there and gloat about it. The only way people will choose a better alternative, is if they can see something positive to reach out to. Who wants to side with the people who are glad the ship is sinking, because those who sailed it in the wrong direction deserve it? Nobody.

Moggy wrote:Because the alternative is that the idiots think that they did a good thing and that they continue to vote for fuckwits and fuckwitted policies.

Are you honestly saying, that if the unlikely happens, and Brexit is a success, and things go well, and there isn't another economic catastrophe off the back of it, you'd consider this to be a negative thing? You'd rather have Brexit go badly just to satisy your own desire to see one side proved wrong?

If Brexit is going to happen, which is almost inevitable at this point, we should all want it to go well, or as well as it can. Why wish more hurt and poverty on people?

pjbetman wrote:That's the stupidest thing ive ever read on here i think.
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by Moggy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:34 pm

You have to understand the context of my arguments, I am still absolutely strawberry floating furious that a bunch of racist and/or stupid bastards have dragged us out of the EU. I am apoplectic with rage about it.

Maybe I'll feel differently in a few years when people in places like Cornwall really start feeling the pinch. At the moment though I wish them nothing but misery - misery that they themselves voted for. That's the thing, I can hope and laugh for all sorts of horrible things, but I have no power to actually do it. Unlike the daft strawberry floaters who are dragging us all down the hole with them.

I'm at a stage where I've pretty much accepted that the government are going to force hard Brexit on us, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it or wish nice things on those that caused this. strawberry float them.

Grumpy David
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

by Grumpy David » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:30 pm

Carswell trolling Farage on his Twitter. The only person who can wind him up is his party's only MP. :slol:

Hexx
Joined in 2008

by Hexx » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:41 am

Knoyleo wrote:
Hexx wrote:strawberry float em. I hope they suffer. They actually deserve it (unlike their victims)

Charming.

I'm not sure what distinction you're making here, either. Unlike their victims? Brexit isn't like passover, it won't skip your house if you put the X in leave box. In many cases those who voted for it will be the victims, too, along with plenty who didn't vote for it. Unless of course you're referring to the victims of the leave campaign, in which case there's still no schadenfreude to be had, because the campaign leaders won't be the ones suffering.

Victims = anyone who voted Remain who'll suffer because those clunge monkeys were too stupid or hate filled to see through the lies

Leave voters aren't "victims". They're willing accompliances to their own (and others) suffering.

I know you're utterly convinced that everyone who voted Brexit is a colossal moron, who willingly chose to believe a load of obvious lies, and so deserve everything bad they get. They plunged the country into uncertainty for a laugh, because they're a load of racists, who don't understand the idea of consequences, and so you want to see things go badly for the country as a whole, just so they have to suffer.[/qouote]
What you really want is things to go badly, so that you can feel better for being right all along.

It'll be small comfort at best.

I don't want things to go badly - but when it goes badly for the ignorant cunticles that caused it for everyone I'm going to laugh at them when they start whining about getting what they choose (and were warned endlessly about).

People voted for Brexit for plenty of different reasons, and it's safe to say, regardless of whether you agree with them, most leave voters voted so because they thought it was the better option. Arguments about the campaign, the information/misinformation available, and who's ultimately responsible for engaging the electorate, politicians, or the people themselves; can all be had, but don't change the fact that by and large, people will tend to pick what they think is best.

And? Has any anyone said people voted for Leave beacuse they thought it's make them worse? (Some obvously voted to make others worse, but that's a different issue)

They got taken in because they were largely either too stupid or racist (simplyfying greatly). Their adherence to Dunning-Kuger or desperate desire to the "the woke" in more mainstream parlence caused their suffering.

It also caused other people's suffering.

One group I have significant sympathy for. And it's not the group that self inflicted their suffering.

. But at least you and Hexx can feel good because the people of Cornwall deserved it.

Hey. They voted for it. I'm just happy to see them get what they wanted. And so so richly deserve. (Again we're treating Cornwall as a whole here, rather than the uneven split it was)

I'm much less happy at people who didn't vote to make their situation worse.. So yeah. My sympathy is reserved for those that didn't knowingly cause their own suffering.

You're infantilising them "they didn't know what they were doing" (somehow. Despite all the information and evidence available)

At least I respect them enough to hold them accountable for their (strawberry floating attrocious) mistakes.

People have suffered under nearly a decade of economic stagnation and austerity at this point. If you honestly think that people are going to start voting the way you think is right now, just because Brexit has a negative impact on them, you're deluded. Hard times harden opinions. Doubly so if the other side, rather than offer a helping hand, decide to sit there and gloat about it. The only way people will choose a better alternative, is if they can see something positive to reach out to. Who wants to side with the people who are glad the ship is sinking, because those who sailed it in the wrong direction deserve it? Nobody

To be clear - I don't think that. They were stupid enough once to vote against self interest, I'm not convinced those types of people are salvagable or will change that approach. I think they're too damaged.. Moggy thinks different.

"The other side" in this case isn't some passive observer - it's been actively, and knowingly, hurt by these people despite previously trying to help.

To stretch your metaphor - both ships are sinking becaise of the choice one ship made. That ship didn't bring it's own life rafts either, and is now demanding the other ship share it's rafts.

It's noticeable you say "to reach out to", but what you mean is "reaching out to tthem".

It's up to other people to reach out/save them from their bad choices in your world - that's were you put the onus of responibility., (Ignoring it's already been occured, and that reaching hand was effectively spat on).

The complete adication of self responsibility and accoutability for choices would be staggering, if it weren't so widesrpead at the moment.

These twazocks, at best and being most charitable, cut off their nose to spite their face against all medical advice. It's strawberry floating funny that now they're complaining about not being able to smell.

I note you don't actually address my point. These people haven't gone "Oh strawberry float we've screwed ourselves - whoops". Their going "We shouldn't have to suffer as a result of our choices - money please".

Abdication of responsibility and desire for others to carry the burden of seeing them through it.

You could actually be a brilliant case study in some respects. You've completely bought into the narrative "Remain want Brexit to fail". It's forming the entire basis of your position - particulary you're attack on me, despite no evidence.

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:42 am

Hexx wrote:
You're infantilising them "they didn't know what they were doing" (somehow. Despite all the information and evidence available)

At least I respect them enough to hold them accountable for their (strawberry floating attrocious) mistakes.

They were stupid enough once to vote against self interest, I'm not convinced those types of people are salvagable or will change that approach. I think they're too damaged..

:lol:

Hexx
Joined in 2008

by Hexx » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:52 am

Moggy wrote:
Hexx wrote:

They were stupid enough once to vote against self interest, I'm not convinced those types of people are salvagable or will change that approach. I think they're too damaged..

:lol:

Purposefully included the bold ;)

And it's still more respectful to treat them as adult, then as poor naive mislead children like K wants.

Comparative, not absolute/quantitative descriptions :P

Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

by Lagamorph » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:07 am

strawberry float those banana splits.

The only reasons anyone voted leave were stupidity or racism, that's it.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:33 am

Lagamorph wrote:strawberry float those banana splits.

The only reasons anyone voted leave were stupidity or racism, that's it.

Leave supporters keep saying “you just call us stupid or racist” but have never really come up with any other reason why they voted the way they did.

Before and after the election I have asked them over and over again for any decent reason why they wanted to be out of the EU and the answers always seem to be the same, either the parroting of the lies of Boris/Gove/Farage (which is stupid) or comments on not being ruled by foreigners/not wanting so many immigrants (which while not necessarily racist is certainly in the realm of xenophobia).

I don’t believe all Leave supporters are stupid or racist but they do a damn fine impression of it. ;)

Errkal
Joined in 2011

by Errkal » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:35 am

I asked a mate and his reason was because he didn't like that a government we don't elect makes laws for us. I pointed out we don't have to implement a lot of them and that if you vote in EU elections you have got a say the same as with our parliament, I think asked for examples of laws that were forced on us he didn't like.
It was amusing watching the realization that he had strawberry floated up take over his face.

Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

by Lagamorph » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:43 am

Moggy wrote:I don’t believe all Leave supporters are stupid or racist but they do a damn fine impression of it. ;)

They most definitely are.

There is not a single 'reason' a leave voter can give for voting leave that doesn't fall into the categories of stupid or/and racist.

Errkal
Joined in 2011

by Errkal » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:47 am

I don't think they are all stupid, I do however think they many of them were incredibly naive and didn't look into anything of the assumptions they had made, like a mate of mine it took seconds to prove his view was wrong, they just didn't take the time to check any of the "facts" thrown at them.

Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

by Lagamorph » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:48 am

Not taking the time to check facts that were thrown at them falls solidly into the stupid category.

Rex Kramer
Joined in 2008

by Rex Kramer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:49 am

Errkal wrote:I asked a mate and his reason was because he didn't like that a government we don't elect makes laws for us. I pointed out we don't have to implement a lot of them and that if you vote in EU elections you have got a say the same as with our parliament, I think asked for examples of laws that were forced on us he didn't like.
It was amusing watching the realization that he had strawberry floated up take over his face.

This is what really galls me, we have repeated elected a bunch of people whose idea of best representing this country is either not turning up or being outright offensive. Then the same people who voted UKIP as their MEP then claim that the EU parliament pass rules we have no say in. It's absolutely strawberry floating ridiculous

Errkal
Joined in 2011

by Errkal » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:50 am

There is also a good chunk that wanted out of the EU but would have wanted to stay in the free market with free movement etc. The government is totally ignoring those people by going for the hard line all out option regardless of the damage, those people were justified in voting out if that's what they wanted but there was no way of know "how much out" people wanted.

The issues now and our strawberry floated future are only partly to blame on leave voters, there is a large part to blame on banana split may for choosing to go hard line without justification and on Cameron for not making sure that the vote was clear on what "out" meant.

That said leave campaigners wouldn't have wanted it to be specific as it would have split their vote giving an advantage, it would have need to be a sub question or something.

Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

by Lagamorph » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:53 am

Errkal wrote:There is also a good chunk that wanted out of the EU but would have wanted to stay in the free market with free movement etc. The government is totally ignoring those people by going for the hard line all out option regardless of the damage, those people were justified in voting out if that's what they wanted but there was no way of know "how much out" people wanted.

Anyone with an ounce of intelligence knew that was never going to happen though. To get those you'd be so bound by the EU anyway that to leave would be a completely and utterly pointless exercise as any 'positive' of leaving would be immediately cancelled out.

BID0
Joined in 2008

by BID0 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:22 am

I don't think a hard brexit is guaranteed, it's just the position that we are going in to negotiations with so we have at least something to try and bargain with. Not that it's a very big hand we have to get 27 individual countries to give us a good deal with :lol:

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:25 am

Lagamorph wrote:
Moggy wrote:I don’t believe all Leave supporters are stupid or racist but they do a damn fine impression of it. ;)

They most definitely are.

There is not a single 'reason' a leave voter can give for voting leave that doesn't fall into the categories of stupid or/and racist.

Voting for a stupid thing doesn't necessarily mean that somebody is actually stupid, after all you vote Tory don't you? ;)

Being more serious, I have really racked my brains to try and think of serious (non-xenophobic) reasons why we should leave the EU.

All I have is that it is not fully democratic, while we have MEPs there are a lot of unelected people that are appointed.

But, it’s a bit strawberry floating rich for a country that has a Queen and a House of Lords (that still has Bishops automatically appointed to it!) to use that as a reason to leave. :lol:

Hexx
Joined in 2008

by Hexx » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:06 pm

Errkal wrote:I don't think they are all stupid, I do however think they many of them were incredibly naive and didn't look into anything of the assumptions they had made, like a mate of mine it took seconds to prove his view was wrong, they just didn't take the time to check any of the "facts" thrown at them.

Sounds like someone "stupid" to me

Hexx
Joined in 2008

by Hexx » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:42 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04vdjs7

R4 Today programme, Farage 'we are the turkeys that voted for Christmas'

:slol: :fp:

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008