Brexit

Our best bits.

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

Remain a member of the European Union
80%
Leave the European Union
20%

Total votes: 279
DML
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by DML » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:06 pm

Blue Eyes wrote:BBC Five Live asking if it's now time for remainers to accept Brexit. strawberry float off is it. This ain't final yet.

The whole reason we shout is because we aren't being listened to. Why on earth would we stop?

Return_of_the_STAR
Joined in 2008

by Return_of_the_STAR » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:11 pm

Moggy wrote:
Return_of_the_STAR wrote:I must say I do think that the EU may well implode in the future. It did become too big. I would have been happy with an EU containing the UK, Ireland, France, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark and Luxembourg. Maybe Sweden and Austria. Not Spain or Italy. For the record this isn't about EU immigration, just economics. I don't have an issue a lot of the Eastern European immigration. I believe they've certainly helped our economic growth majority appear to be here to work and start a new life. But I believe their economies do not fit in with the more economically developed countries. Spain is on massively borrowed time and struggling massively, it needs to get out of the EU as well. Economically currently I don't think we needed too.

I do see your point there, even if I disagree with it. The EU should be working to improve the lives in the poorer European countries (and I think they do), not leaving them out.

Look at the difference to Ireland since it joined the EU. It went from one of the poorest places in Europe, to having a reasonable economy – so reasonable in fact that Photek might be buying a 4K TV from Northern Ireland. ;)

All countries have the same issue though, the rich American states v the poorer ones. London v Cornwall. The answer isn’t to cut bits off or leave in some sort of race to the bottom, but to work together and try and raise everybody up.

The threat though of mass immigration to the eu from Africa and the Middle East is a whole different ball game.

That has little to do with the EU though. The EU disappearing wouldn't stop migration from poorer parts of the world.

In regards to the mass immigration I was referring to us being out of the eu or in it.

Yeah I understand what u r saying about everywhere having poor parts, you can keep going smaller and smaller, every city has poor districts, every street has poorer residents but I do believe that the EU got too large too quickly. Spain needs drastic economic action, the euro and European bank I don't believe has been good for it.

Shoe Army
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Garth » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:13 pm

Couple of leave people on BBC earlier were talking about how in the North East of England they rely more heavily on EU trade, subsidies and companies for employment, but feel their parts of the country have been under-invested in by the UK government compared to London since the financial crisis, so voted for Brexit to change that.

This begs the question, when they lose their EU subsidies (and potentially even face EU trade barriers and relocation of jobs) are they honestly expecting the government to not only keep providing that money post-Brexit but then also increase spending in those areas and take money away from London?

I just can't see it happening...I think they'll have ended up harming themselves more.

Errkal
Joined in 2011

by Errkal » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:14 pm

Spain is much like Cornwall, it is a holiday destination with not much else. So out of season there are loads of empty holiday places and no one there as there are no holiday makers.

Hexx
Joined in 2008

by Hexx » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:17 pm

Garth wrote:Couple of leave people on BBC earlier were talking about how in the North East of England they rely more heavily on EU trade, subsidies and companies for employment, but feel their parts of the country have been under-invested in by the UK government compared to London since the financial crisis, so voted for Brexit to change that.

This begs the question, when they lose their EU subsidies (and potentially even face EU trade barriers and relocation of jobs) are they honestly expecting the government to not only keep providing that money post-Brexit but then also increase spending in those areas and take money away from London?

I just can't see it happening...I think they'll have ended up harming themselves more.

Blue Eyes
Joined in 2011

by Blue Eyes » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:20 pm

Best use of any Gif ever :lol:

Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

by Qikz » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:20 pm

Honestly, the analogy of turkeys voting for christmas is completely true.

It's sad, but this is what "THE PEOPOL" have done.

The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by Moggy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:21 pm

Blue Eyes wrote:BBC Five Live asking if it's now time for remainers to accept Brexit. strawberry float off is it. This ain't final yet.

I accept it is happening and that May is not going to change it now.

I don't accept that it should be happening or that we should shut up about it.

Knoyleo
Joined in 2008

by Knoyleo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:23 pm

Errkal wrote:Spain is much like Cornwall, it is a holiday destination with not much else. So out of season there are loads of empty holiday places and no one there as there are no holiday makers.

Spain is more than just the Costa del Sol.

pjbetman wrote:That's the stupidest thing ive ever read on here i think.
Kezzer
Joined in 2012

by Kezzer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:39 pm

for one Spain is a massive country

This post is exempt from the No Context Thread.

Tomous wrote:Tell him to take his fake reality out of your virtual reality and strawberry float off

Photek
Joined in 2008

by Photek » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:43 pm

Hexx wrote:
Garth wrote:Couple of leave people on BBC earlier were talking about how in the North East of England they rely more heavily on EU trade, subsidies and companies for employment, but feel their parts of the country have been under-invested in by the UK government compared to London since the financial crisis, so voted for Brexit to change that.

Amazing. :lol:

BID0
Joined in 2008

by BID0 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:32 pm

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:The threat though of mass immigration to the eu from Africa and the Middle East is a whole different ball game.

Whether we are in the EU or not, that problem is still coming to bite us in the ass unless we tackle the causes now. Burying our heads in the sand by leaving the EU isn't going to make that migration go away and will just increase the problem for us, probably within the decade.

Return_of_the_STAR
Joined in 2008

by Return_of_the_STAR » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:00 pm

BID0 wrote:
Return_of_the_STAR wrote:The threat though of mass immigration to the eu from Africa and the Middle East is a whole different ball game.

Whether we are in the EU or not, that problem is still coming to bite us in the ass unless we tackle the causes now. Burying our heads in the sand by leaving the EU isn't going to make that migration go away and will just increase the problem for us, probably within the decade.

I agree we need to tackle the problem asap. The thing is most people I think who voted to leave did so because they think it will give us more control over tackling that issue. That was the main motivator not whether the EU spent money on a wine collection or wanted bananas to be more bent (or straight, can't remember which lie it was).

Shoe Army
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:08 pm

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
BID0 wrote:

I agree we need to tackle the problem asap. The thing is most people I think who voted to leave did so because they think it will give us more control over tackling that issue. That was the main motivator not whether the EU spent money on a wine collection or wanted bananas to be more bent (or straight, can't remember which lie it was).

Which was crazy as it gives us no extra control. We are not members of Schengen, there is therefore no free movement to the UK for refugees or migrants from outside of the EU.

Grumpy David
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

by Grumpy David » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:14 pm

twitter.com/JoeTwyman/status/847017907800412160

DAT list. Imperial system. Smoking in pubs and restaurants. :dread:

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

by Moggy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:17 pm

Grumpy David wrote:Image

Yay we get the death penalty and smoking back!

Hypes
Joined in 2009

by Hypes » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:19 pm

Moggy wrote:
Grumpy David wrote:[img]twat[/img]

Farage on a bonfire :datass:

Hypes
Joined in 2009

by Hypes » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:24 pm

Moggy wrote:
Return_of_the_STAR wrote:I must say I do think that the EU may well implode in the future. It did become too big. I would have been happy with an EU containing the UK, Ireland, France, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark and Luxembourg. Maybe Sweden and Austria. Not Spain or Italy. For the record this isn't about EU immigration, just economics. I don't have an issue a lot of the Eastern European immigration. I believe they've certainly helped our economic growth majority appear to be here to work and start a new life. But I believe their economies do not fit in with the more economically developed countries. Spain is on massively borrowed time and struggling massively, it needs to get out of the EU as well. Economically currently I don't think we needed too.

I do see your point there, even if I disagree with it. The EU should be working to improve the lives in the poorer European countries (and I think they do), not leaving them out.

Look at the difference to Ireland since it joined the EU. It went from one of the poorest places in Europe, to having a reasonable economy – so reasonable in fact that Photek might be buying a 4K TV from Northern Ireland. ;)

Yes, Ireland has benefitted massively from being in the EU, the problems that Spain, Italy and a lot of eastern European countries are facing/will face is a result of the Euro and the ECB, a central bank and monetary policy for countries with wildly differing strengths of economies will not work well for those with weaker economies

That
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008

by That » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:32 pm

Moggy wrote:
Grumpy David wrote:

53% of Leavers think it's okay to slaughter criminals. 42% want to beat children. One in ten desire to live in a period drama so strongly they want to actually bring back the shilling.

For a group so angry about being stereotyped as unintelligent they are sure making it easy.

Errkal
Joined in 2011

by Errkal » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:37 pm

This was the issue with the ref, these strawberry floaters are live in the past and think it will just be as it was. The world is strawberry floating different now gooseberry fool moves on.

Return to “Archive”