Last TV series you watched and your rating

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Tafdolphin
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
Joined in 2008

PostRe: RE: Re: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Tafdolphin » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:21 pm

Death's Head wrote:
more heat than light wrote:I mean, I haven't seen Dark yet (someone here mentioned a similarity to Stranger Things which put me off a bit) but based on that trailer I don't see how those two series are comparable at all.
Don't be put off by that comparison, it doesn't really make sense.

I think I preferred Altered Carbon to Dark and it is very clear that Dark is on a much lower budget. But it doesn't have a futuristic setting so a higher budget isn't necessary.

If you're talking about my comparing AC to Dark, it wasn't a thematic or narrative comparison. I was simply saying that Dark was better and more creatively shot than AC on a much smaller budget, and that this was a good way to illustrate my assertion that AC looked 'cheap' at times despite being anything but.

If you're talking about my comparison of Dark to Stranger Things (I make a lot of comparisons apparently) this was based around the similar set-up they share (odd things start happening in small 80s town involving kids and a mysterious organisation). Apart from that they're totally different.

---------------------------
Games wot I worked on:
Night Call: Out now!
Rip Them Off: Out now!
Chinatown Detective Agency: 2021!
EXOGATE Initiative: Early Access Summer 2021
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin

PostRe: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by 7256930752 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:03 pm

The Sinner

If Bill Pullman as a grizzled cop speaking in a Michael Ironside-esq barely comprehensible voice and Jessica Biel getting sexed don't make a good TV show I don't know what does. Seriously though I thought it was great and it actually had an ending which is a revalation for modern TV shows.

I love Bill Pullman.

Death's Head
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: RE: Re: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Death's Head » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:35 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
more heat than light wrote:I mean, I haven't seen Dark yet (someone here mentioned a similarity to Stranger Things which put me off a bit) but based on that trailer I don't see how those two series are comparable at all.

I think I preferred Altered Carbon to Dark and it is very clear that Dark is on a much lower budget. But it doesn't have a futuristic setting so a higher budget isn't necessary.

If you're talking about my comparing AC to Dark, it wasn't a thematic or narrative comparison. I was simply saying that Dark was better and more creatively shot than AC on a much smaller budget, and that this was a good way to illustrate my assertion that AC looked 'cheap' at times despite being anything but.

If you're talking about my comparison of Dark to Stranger Things (I make a lot of comparisons apparently) this was based around the similar set-up they share (odd things start happening in small 80s town involving kids and a mysterious organisation). Apart from that they're totally different.

It was ST and Dark. They are very different stories so I wouldn't go into Dark thinking it is similar to ST.

Yes?
Tafdolphin
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
Joined in 2008

PostRe: RE: Re: RE: Re: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Tafdolphin » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:38 pm

Death's Head wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Death's Head wrote:

It was ST and Dark. They are very different stories so I wouldn't go into Dark thinking it is similar to ST.

Oh no, you're 100% correct there! Sorry if it looked like I was suggesting that!

Games wot I worked on:
Death's Head
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Last TV series you watched and your rating.
by Death's Head » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:33 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Death's Head wrote:

Oh no, you're 100% correct there! Sorry if it looked like I was suggesting that!
What a lovely bloke apologising for something that doesn't really need to be apologised for.

Yes?
Tafdolphin
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
Joined in 2008

by Tafdolphin » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:01 pm

I've been on something of an antagonistic rampage here recently. Felt right to apologise for possibly misleading people!

Also, more people need to watch Dark. It's not perfect but it's really good.

Games wot I worked on:
Squinty
Joined in 2009

by Squinty » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:52 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:I've been on something of an antagonistic rampage here recently. Felt right to apologise for possibly misleading people!

Also, more people need to watch Dark. It's not perfect but it's really good.

I loved it. Beautifully shot, good performances, interesting plot and characters. I can see the comparisons between it and Stranger Things, but Dark definitely turns into its own thing. The last few episodes of it are really quite grim.

satriales
Joined in 2008

by satriales » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:19 pm

Drumstick wrote:The Sopranos S4 – 10/10

This show seems to deliver one faultless season after another. This is the zenith of television.

There was a point in the season where I really, really felt that Ralphy and Tony had patched things up, despite Tony openly bestowing such obvious contempt for the guy. Thankfully, Tony eventually got his hands dirty because I really, really hated Ralphy. :lol:

With every passing episode I get progressively sadder about Gandolfini’s passing as he is genuinely incredible in this. I feel that the few times Tony is shown being genuinely loving and caring toward his family is a window into how Gandolfini was in life away from the screen. His performance this season in particular was stunning… but somehow, he was upstaged.

Edie Falco’s acting this season was absolutely astounding, genuinely some of the best acting I’ve ever seen. The scenes with Carmela and Furio were electric. The scene in the garage in ‘Whitecaps’ where Tony repeatedly rams his fist through the wall is perfect in so many ways but it’s Falco’s performance as Carmela, a housewife finally rebelling against the mob-boss husband that has treated terribly for years, that elevates it to a level unreachable to just about any other show. I haven’t bothered to check it out but I would be nothing short of speechless if she didn’t clear up during awards time for this season, in particular that episode.

Hoping S5 delivers more of the same.

Glad to see you're enjoying it :mrgreen:
You're right that James Gandolfini and Edie Falco won best actor and actress Emmys for this season, along with hundreds of other awards.

My memory is a bit hazy but I think there is a slight dip coming up, perhaps it's not until the start of S6, however S5 contains my favourite episode in the show.

I need to begin a rewatch, can't believe it's been 11yrs since it ended!!

satriales
Joined in 2008

by satriales » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:24 pm

Marcella - A whodunnit murder mystery where the hunt for the killer is stretched over 8 episodes with a constant stream of twists and cliffhangers to keep you hooked the whole way. It can be a bit ridiculous in the usual way of everyone looks guilty and has something to hide, but it's great fun. Also caught up with S2 which continues tonight...
9/10

Cheeky Devlin
Joined in 2008

by Cheeky Devlin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:31 am

satriales wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote:The Genius (Season 1) - 9/10

EDIT: The show's too good to be confined here. I might have to start a thread for it later on. :lol:

Loved that show. I think S2 dipped a little but S3 and S4 were just as good as the first season.
There was talk of a UK version and they even made a hype trailer to try and drum up interest but it seems to have not got anywhere.

All the links used to be on Dailymotion but looks like they've been taken down now. Might be able to get them at this Reddit page instead: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheGenius/comm ... enius_s14/

Yeah I managed to get S2/3/4 from a reddit page a week or two ago.

Just watched the Monopoly (No, not that kind of Monopoly) episode in Season 2. That was easily one of the best episodes so far, if not the best. Absolutely brutal in places. :nod:

by 7256930752 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:13 pm

satriales wrote:Marcella - A whodunnit murder mystery where the hunt for the killer is stretched over 8 episodes with a constant stream of twists and cliffhangers to keep you hooked the whole way. It can be a bit ridiculous in the usual way of everyone looks guilty and has something to hide, but it's great fun. Also caught up with S2 which continues tonight...
9/10

Is that a 9/10 for series 1? I hated the ending, they left so much answered.

satriales
Joined in 2008

by satriales » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:16 pm

Hime wrote:
satriales wrote:Marcella - A whodunnit murder mystery where the hunt for the killer is stretched over 8 episodes with a constant stream of twists and cliffhangers to keep you hooked the whole way. It can be a bit ridiculous in the usual way of everyone looks guilty and has something to hide, but it's great fun. Also caught up with S2 which continues tonight...
9/10

Is that a 9/10 for series 1? I hated the ending, they left so much answered.

I didn't mind that, but then I was binging on it over a few days and went straight on to S2, which does fill in some of those answers. Had I had to wait a year, or if there was no S2 then I may have been a bit harsher.

satriales
Joined in 2008

by satriales » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:33 pm

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (Season 1) - I'm not familiar at all with the source material so I've no idea how faithful this is, but I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. It's just so wacky and weird, but it all comes together to makes sense by the end. I was getting Utopia vibes when watching it, and part of that might be the bright colour scheme, but I also found the same person does the music in both shows. Now to start S2...
9/10

Frank
Joined in 2009

by Frank » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:14 pm

It's not faithful in the slightest :slol: It's less an adaptation and more telling new stories with a slightly similar core concept ("holistic" investigations).

Took me a while to appreciate it as it's own thing rather than an adaptation, but it's fun

Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Buffalo » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:34 pm

Some people will literally watch anything. Yes I’m going to keep shitposting about it.

Tafdolphin
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
RETURN POLICY ABUSER
Joined in 2008

by Tafdolphin » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:32 am

The creator is a serial sexual assaulter. Gonna keep bringing that up too.

Games wot I worked on:
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by Moggy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:22 am

Seinfeld Season 8 – 6/10

I have continued to work through Seinfeld and after getting through the first couple of seasons was really enjoying it. Season 8 was a massive dip in quality though, not awful but it really went downhill. It seems that Larry David left the show after Season 7, which may well explain it.

I only have the one season left, so will continue!

Gemini73

by Gemini73 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:56 pm

Altered Carbon.

Didn't actually finish S1 as for all its lavish presentation it's nothing more than a dull murder mystery.

3/10

Errkal
Joined in 2011

by Errkal » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:59 pm

The Expanse - awesome show, really enjoyed it, ended up watching both seasons over 3 days, I had watched S1 before but it was awesome on a second watch as it was the first.

Lotus
Joined in 2008

by Lotus » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:02 pm

Modus - Season 2 - 7/10

Not as good as the first season, but still decent, and better than a lot of the shite that's usually on.

Return to “Stuff”