World Cup 2018

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: World Cup 2018 - CRC-SRB, GER-MEX, BRA-SWI
by Dowbocop » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:03 pm

Jenuall wrote:What are the guys with "Dope Control" jackets doing exactly - making sure nobody's shooting up behind the dugout?! :lol:

Country banned from two Olympics for state sponsored doping having special high profile bibs for the wee wee collectors, Orwell would be proud...

PurplePenguin
Joined in 2008

by PurplePenguin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:03 pm

How Stones misses that chance too. Some glaring misses from us tonight really.

more heat than light
Joined in 2008
AKA: mhtl

by more heat than light » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:05 pm

Great and well deserved result. Commentary was awful, complaining about the performance being 'pedestrian' when England were playing pretty much the entire match in Tunisia's half. They were dreadful, on another day that would have been 5-0.

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:MHTL is an OG ledge
Return_of_the_STAR
Joined in 2008

by Return_of_the_STAR » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:05 pm

PurplePenguin wrote:Alli was poor though tonight I'm not sure if he did have a slight knock. Lingard just seemed jinxed missing chances he's fully capable of finishing off.

Dele clearly picked up an injury very early on. He limped around the pitch for about 50 mins, why either he or Southgate didn't take the decision for him to go off i don't know. He also clearly had a number of communications with the bench during the game as well where they were asking if he was ok. Prior to the knock i thought he was playing good enough.

Shoe Army
SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by SEP » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:06 pm

Someone with more skill and talent than me should do a mash-up of Kane being speared/"tackled" with Jim Ross commentary clips.

KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:18 pm

Southgate’s face is the length of my TV.

Dual
Joined in 2008

by Dual » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:21 pm

We'll thump Panama and hopefully drag out a draw against Belgium

Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: based

by Mafro » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:23 pm

KK wrote:Southgate’s face is the length of my TV.

:lol: :lol:

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell weed in animal crossing new horizons today.

Twitter
BOR
Joined in 2008

by BOR » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Funny that four years ago Kane was taking corner kicks.

Now, he scored two goals on a set piece by a corner.

:lol:

"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
Rex Kramer
Joined in 2008

by Rex Kramer » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:36 pm

Against better teams, our best hope is 2 midfielders sitting in and then hope to hit with pace or from a set piece. It'll be boring as hell but we might get lucky.

PurplePenguin
Joined in 2008

by PurplePenguin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:36 pm

If Alli was injured he should have been off as he clearly became somewhat of a passenger after the first twenty minutes. Sterling wasn't fantastic tonight either really but all that said how we didnt score at least two more in that first half I dont know.

I think he'll start the same team against Panama now and hope they improve on tonights performance which was good in parts.

Rubix
Joined in 2008

by Rubix » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:43 pm

Still annoyed by the lack of VAR, two easy penalty shouts on Kane

PLAY | Persona 3 Reloaded [3h]
WATCH | Ted Lasso S3, HiJack S1, Red Dwarf S4, Dexter S2
RACE | Chew Valley 10k (June), GNR (Sept), Cardiff Half (Oct)
more heat than light
Joined in 2008
AKA: mhtl

by more heat than light » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:53 pm

twitter.com/NaomiKyle/status/1008583029957148672

The gif that keeps on giving. :lol:

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:MHTL is an OG ledge
PES Fan
Joined in 2008

by PES Fan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:59 pm

Important result considering we play Belgium last. Not really a game you want to go into having to win, whilst Belgium would have had no pressure.

3 points against Panama and hopefully Belgium beat Tunisia, so we can make a few changes in the last game.

Tineash
Joined in 2008

by Tineash » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:02 pm

It's definitely coming home, lads. Nailed on.

"exceptionally annoying" - TheTurnipKing
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

by Drumstick » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:24 pm

Unsure about you lot but I found Henderson extremely frustrating tonight. His distribution is, nine times out of ten, sideways or backwards (usually to the player he received the ball from) which is a shame because, as he showed on a couple of occasions tonight, he's got a great long pass on him. This is why I didn't want him in the team.

Check out my YouTube channel!
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image Image
Irene Demova
Joined in 2009
AKA: Karl

by Irene Demova » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:43 pm

Drumstick wrote:Unsure about you lot but I found Henderson extremely frustrating tonight. His distribution is, nine times out of ten, sideways or backwards (usually to the player he received the ball from) which is a shame because, as he showed on a couple of occasions tonight, he's got a great long pass on him. This is why I didn't want him in the team.

He's very slow on the cross field balls too. It wasn't my biggest concern (having no player who can even use their left foot on the left wing was infuriating) but it is a drawback.
One of the big losses from Walker playing CB (besides it emphasizing all of his weaknesses and none of his strengths) is that England lose the chance for him to do the long passes up to the wings, something City used all season to start attacks.

Psychic
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Psychic » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:52 pm

The only players to make more forward passes tonight than Henderson were the three English centrebacks. A little over half his passes were forward and while we'd all like more, I feel that's more down to the system and his role in it. Playing two attacking midfielders in front of your defensive midfielder is going to inevitably lead to them getting drawn forward and less options being available.

Agree about Irene about Walker and it says a lot about the lack of depth in central defence. Lucky that Trippier has been molded into such a good player.

Vermilion
Gnome Thief
Joined in 2018

by Vermilion » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:10 am

Great result, and overall England played pretty well (especially compared with previous tournaments). Panama will hopefully be a straight win, especially since Belgium are a pretty formidable team and will not go down easily.

Benzin
Joined in 2011

by Benzin » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:21 am

Don't think the formation helps at all, likes of Lingard and Sterling should be using their pace on the wing; there's a big difference between fluidity and players ambling around not sure where to move to.

Hell a midfield 3 of Henderson, Alli and Loftus-Cheek would be great for these sort of games, with trickier ties gaining Dier instead of one of the attacking two. Though I don't think Henderson is good enough to be a true 'brick wall' midfielder.

Trippier was the best player on the pitch last night mind.

Return to “Stuff”