The Football Thread 2023/24: Derby promoted, Brian Clough Trophy up for grabs in 24/25?

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Tomous
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Football Thread 2023/24: Forest given 4-point deduction
by Tomous » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:15 pm

Imrahil wrote:As expected, Dani Alves has forked out a 6-figure sum to be released immediately following his guilty rape verdict.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68616200

He's appealed and has paid $1.1m bail bond so he can be released until the appeal verdict is heard. He has already served 13 months in jail and if the appeal upholds the original verdict he'll go back to jail.

Imrahil
Joined in 2013

by Imrahil » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:23 pm

I know that. It doesn't change the fact he was rich enough (or had rich enough contacts) to fork out that money to be released following a guilty rape verdict.

With the Spanish justice system, it's typically a formality if you're allowed to get bail on appeal. The whole thing is pretty disgraceful really.

Tomous
Joined in 2010

by Tomous » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:38 pm

Imrahil wrote:I know that. It doesn't change the fact he was rich enough (or had rich enough contacts) to fork out that money to be released following a guilty rape verdict.

With the Spanish justice system, it's typically a formality if you're allowed to get bail on appeal. The whole thing is pretty disgraceful really.

This isn't preferential treatment because of how rich he is though. Provisional freedom and bail are standard procedure for the appeal process and the bail has been set at that price because of how rich he is. If he was poor it would be much lower than $1.1m.

Now whether you think Spain should grant provisional freedom to people in these types of cases is another question.

Imrahil
Joined in 2013

by Imrahil » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:41 pm

Spanish justice is rife with rich people getting very low sentences and preferential treatment though, so it's no surprise Alves is basically getting away with this. It just tends to be the way it goes.

Although, yes I'm sure Spanish rape laws are too lenient in general.

Last edited by Imrahil on Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomous
Joined in 2010

by Tomous » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:46 pm

None of what has happened so far is him getting preferential treatment because he is rich. Now, if they overturn the sentence on appeal that is a different debate but there is no reason to think they will at the moment.

So far, he has spent 13 months in jail (including before the trial while it was investigated because he was denied bail at that time) and will go back to jail if he has appeal fails. He hasn't gotten away with anything yet.

Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by Moggy » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:47 pm

Imrahil wrote:Spanish justice is rife with rich people getting very low sentences and preferential treatment though, so it's no surprise Alves is basically getting away with this. It fits with everything else I see.

It's wrong, but it seems to be standard in Spain and not just for rich people.

Five men who were found guilty of sexually assaulting a woman at the July 2016 running of the bulls festival in Pamplona, Spain, were released on bail Thursday, setting off protests by women in several Spanish cities.

In the case, seen as a landmark for women’s rights in Spain, a regional court panel of three judges ruled 2-1 that the men be released on bail of €6,000 pending the appeal of an April ruling in which they were sentenced to nine years in prison for “continuous sexual abuse.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/e ... -1.3540039

Imrahil
Joined in 2013

by Imrahil » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:50 pm

I don't think you can say that with any certainty when Spain has plenty of examples of rich people paying their way out of longer jail terms in general. Regardless, I wouldn't be at all surprised though if his capacity to find money has ended up reducing his overall time in jail for rape compared to someone less wealthy.

I mean, he already was able to reduce the initial sentence because he was able to pay the fine. Someone who couldn't afford to pay a fine would have had longer than 4 and a half years to begin with. So it's already had an effect anyway.

Tomous
Joined in 2010

by Tomous » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:04 pm

Moggy wrote:
Imrahil wrote:Spanish justice is rife with rich people getting very low sentences and preferential treatment though, so it's no surprise Alves is basically getting away with this. It fits with everything else I see.

It's wrong, but it seems to be standard in Spain and not just for rich people.

Five men who were found guilty of sexually assaulting a woman at the July 2016 running of the bulls festival in Pamplona, Spain, were released on bail Thursday, setting off protests by women in several Spanish cities.

In the case, seen as a landmark for women’s rights in Spain, a regional court panel of three judges ruled 2-1 that the men be released on bail of €6,000 pending the appeal of an April ruling in which they were sentenced to nine years in prison for “continuous sexual abuse.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/e ... -1.3540039

Exactly. I agree though, it is totally wrong.

Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Cuttooth » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:30 pm

It'd be interesting to see a comparison in conviction rates on sexual assault between the UK and Spain. I can't imagine we have that much to crow about as a country.

<]:^D
Joined in 2008

by <]:^D » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:14 pm

its quite common to release people accused of rape on bail in the UK; although being released on bail when you've been convicted, pending appeal is a slightly disturbing one...
i wonder if the same happens in the UK? i doubt it :s

Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Drumstick » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:57 pm

Leicester City: Premier League charges Championship club with alleged breaches of financial rules

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68580638

Check out my YouTube channel!
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image Image
Benzin
Joined in 2011

by Benzin » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:08 pm

Might as well start everyone on negative points next season.

Apart from City of course, as they're completely innocent.

ITSMILNER
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2023/24: Gammons rise up against Nike's new England kit
by ITSMILNER » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1773354736994996515

What a plum, still betting whilst you are banned for betting :fp: :lol:

Tomous
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Football Thread 2023/24: Gammons rise up against Nike's new England kit
by Tomous » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm

ITSMILNER wrote:

twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1773354736994996515

What a plum, still betting whilst you are banned for betting :fp: :lol:

That isn't right, Tonali wasn't banned until the end of October, his final game this season was 25th October.

Rex Kramer
Joined in 2008

by Rex Kramer » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 pm

Surely he was under investigation for it at least during that period.

Tomous
Joined in 2010

by Tomous » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:29 pm

Newcastle announced he was under investigation on October 18th and he was then charged on 26th so I assume the 18th is when he found out.

Sounds like he admitted everything to the FA last Autumn and they've only got round to charging him now. And Newcastle don't expect him to get anything further ban wise. Guess we'll see.

Monkey Man
Joined in 2008

by Monkey Man » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:19 pm

Xabi Alonso says he will remain Bayer Leverkusen manager next season despite interest from Liverpool and Bayern Munich.

The Spaniard has been heavily linked with the manager's job at Anfield since Jurgen Klopp said he will stand down at the end of the season.

More to follow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68692969

PuppetBoy
Joined in 2008

by PuppetBoy » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:02 pm

twitter.com/AwayDays_/status/1774100383817732181

It's like something from a cartoon. :lol:

Return_of_the_STAR
Joined in 2008

by Return_of_the_STAR » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:34 pm

PuppetBoy wrote:

twitter.com/AwayDays_/status/1774100383817732181

It's like something from a cartoon. :lol:

I just came to post this, it's brilliant :lol:

Shoe Army
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Dowbocop » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:14 pm

Maybe a save of the season contender from Onana, great double stop.

Return to “Stuff”