Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Conditions

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Akai XIII
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Conditions
by Akai XIII » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:45 pm

I've been offered it before, but it's not for me. Other people I know have tried it and it worked...

If she's willing to try it there's no reason not to give it a go.

The Watching Artist
Scrub
Joined in 2008

by The Watching Artist » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:18 pm

Slayerx wrote:I'm wondering if anyone has found cognitive therapy useful?

My girlfriend suffer from anxiety and extreme OCD and it's been an issue that's just getting worse.

Im trying to not let it get to me and understand she can't just stop doing what she does in an instant and really want to get her some sort of help.

She's open to it and even realises she's getting worse over time.

Yes. Its not a quick fix though. Its about breaking down and understanding how your thoughts are unhelpful. Then to try and undo those thoughts. But it takes time.

KomandaHeck
Joined in 2008

by KomandaHeck » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:32 pm

Tragic Magic wrote:My wife bought me a creative writing course book for Christmas. Been reading it and writing already and I think it's going to do wonders with my writing and helping me get over my depression. It's just such an enjoyable thing to do and it helps so much to clear my head and gives me a real sense of achievement. The book looks excellent so far, lots of writing tasks and questions to really get you thinking and trying new styles. Makes me think I should make some kind of blog to get things out there, the good and the gooseberry fool.

Do you have a link for the book? I might pick it up for myself.

Tragic Magic
Joined in 2008

by Tragic Magic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:38 pm

SugarDave wrote:
Tragic Magic wrote:My wife bought me a creative writing course book for Christmas. Been reading it and writing already and I think it's going to do wonders with my writing and helping me get over my depression. It's just such an enjoyable thing to do and it helps so much to clear my head and gives me a real sense of achievement. The book looks excellent so far, lots of writing tasks and questions to really get you thinking and trying new styles. Makes me think I should make some kind of blog to get things out there, the good and the gooseberry fool.

Do you have a link for the book? I might pick it up for myself.

It's by Chris Sykes and it's called Complete Creative Writing Course. A quick search on Amazon should find it.

KomandaHeck
Joined in 2008

by KomandaHeck » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:36 pm

Nice one, thanks.

Alvin Flummux
Joined in 2008

by Alvin Flummux » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:11 am

I believe that I'm suffering from depression, anxiety, or perhaps both. Maybe neither, could just be something else. I haven't received a diagnosis from a doctor.

For the past few months, I've felt as though a timer of some kind has been ticking away inside my mind, but down to what I simply don't know, but it puts me on edge most of the time, making me feel two steps away from a breakdown at any given moment. I find that I can't control my thoughts like I used to, and now I spend most of my days dwelling incessantly on my many failures, wrong turns in life, and other regrets. It's a constant mental feedback loop of misery. I try to write, but all I can come up with are stupid emo "poems" and letters to nobody in particular, or to my close friend Danielle, which she will ever read because why would I inflict that on her? I've tried putting my energy into writing a work of fiction, but all I can come up with is lore, and not, you know, stories or whatever.

I was able to keep my state hidden away from the missus for a good while, but lately I just can't any more. She tries her best to cheer me up, she has the biggest heart of anyone I've known and she does help, but as a near-lifelong sufferer of severe depression (and probably undiagnosed PTSD) herself, who has only in the last year been able to break free of its dark grasp, I'm deathly afraid of pushing her back down with my own problems. And that's just one thing that bothers me; I have troubling thoughts and questions regarding the most fundamental components of my life running about my head day and night that I'm much too scared to confront.

tl;dr, I'm just a sad man. :(

You can all go back to whatever you were doing now. I just needed to vent.

shadow202
Joined in 2012

PostRe: RE: Re: Depression, Anxiety, or other Mental Health Conditions
by shadow202 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:54 am

Alvin Flummux wrote:I believe that I'm suffering from depression, anxiety, or perhaps both. Maybe neither, could just be something else. I haven't received a diagnosis from a doctor.

For the past few months, I've felt as though a timer of some kind has been ticking away inside my mind, but down to what I simply don't know, but it puts me on edge most of the time, making me feel two steps away from a breakdown at any given moment. I find that I can't control my thoughts like I used to, and now I spend most of my days dwelling incessantly on my many failures, wrong turns in life, and other regrets. It's a constant mental feedback loop of misery. I try to write, but all I can come up with are stupid emo "poems" and letters to nobody in particular, or to my close friend Danielle, which she will ever read because why would I inflict that on her? I've tried putting my energy into writing a work of fiction, but all I can come up with is lore, and not, you know, stories or whatever.

I was able to keep my state hidden away from the missus for a good while, but lately I just can't any more. She tries her best to cheer me up, she has the biggest heart of anyone I've known and she does help, but as a near-lifelong sufferer of severe depression (and probably undiagnosed PTSD) herself, who has only in the last year been able to break free of its dark grasp, I'm deathly afraid of pushing her back down with my own problems. And that's just one thing that bothers me; I have troubling thoughts and questions regarding the most fundamental components of my life running about my head day and night that I'm much too scared to confront.

tl;dr, I'm just a sad man. :(

You can all go back to whatever you were doing now. I just needed to vent.
Have you booked an appointment to go and see your doctor? If you haven't then please do.

Corazon de Leon

by Corazon de Leon » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:00 am

Has/does anyone else take ADHD medication? I’m two weeks in and the side effects have been booting my balls all over the place. Mood swings, depression, severe tiredness, the works. It’s been brutal.

Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008

by Green Gecko » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:35 am

I'm of the mind that medicating ADHD is a bit like medicating autism. Does it help?

Alvin, please see a doctor and post here where you can, if you feel alone we're here to listen. It sounds like this has been building up a while and there's no reason to contain yourself if you are feeling sick.

"It should be common sense to just accept the message Nintendo are sending out through their actions."

❤ btw GRcade costs money and depends on donations - please support one of the UK's oldest video gaming forums → HOW TO DONATE
That
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008

by That » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:21 pm

Having a bit of a tough day today.

"u ok hun xx"s gratefully received.

Corazon de Leon

by Corazon de Leon » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:35 pm

Green Gecko wrote:I'm of the mind that medicating ADHD is a bit like medicating autism. Does it help?

Alvin, please see a doctor and post here where you can, if you feel alone we're here to listen. It sounds like this has been building up a while and there's no reason to contain yourself if you are feeling sick.

It's too early to tell really - it helps in the sense that I seem to be noticing more things around me and my time management has picked up since I started taking the tablets, but it's been very difficult to get around the fact that I'm sleeping 12 hours per day, and have been much more emotional than I normally am since I went on them. I have my girlfriend keeping a list of possible side effects so that I can reel them off when I go back to the ADHD guy at the end of January. I don't know if I'll keep taking the tablets for that long.

Corazon de Leon

by Corazon de Leon » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:35 pm

Karl wrote:Having a bit of a tough day today.

"u ok hun xx"s gratefully received.

u ok hun xx

jawafour
Joined in 2012

by jawafour » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:36 pm

Last edited by jawafour on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
That
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008

by That » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:16 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:u ok hun xx

:wub: Thanks pal.

Sorry to hear about your side effects, sounds really rough. Hope you can find a different pill that works better for you.

jawafour wrote:There has been a pressure to "get things right" and "have fun!" for an extended time and that can be quite stressful for some people.

This is definitely a part of it. Best wishes to you too mate.

smurphy
Joined in 2008
AKA: A Little Cocky Child

by smurphy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:00 pm

jawafour wrote:There has been a pressure to "get things right" and "have fun!" for an extended time and that can be quite stressful for some people.

100% this. My year from school have this reunion every Christmas eve in my hometown, and it was only the other year I realised I didn't have to go. It was a revelation. Everyone I like I keep in touch with anyway, and being in that sort of situation with people I didn't really like just made me feel horrible. Same with New Year. I always felt like you have to do something amazing or you've failed, but I just totally gave up on it (to the point I didn't even realise it was the 31st this year) and the whole Christmas period has become the most peaceful and relaxing time of year for me.

Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

by Qikz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:56 pm

I don't think this is depression but I really just need to vent. I guess it's more anxiety than anything else, but hopefully venting here might help me.

I got made a manager at work the other month and I've been trying really hard to do a good job, it was going fine but recently within the last 2 weeks I've seemingly let everything get on top of me after a big mistake which I'm not even in trouble for. I've been getting more and more stressed, because the more I feel like I want to do a good job the more I've found it harder to keep up. Stress sets my IBS off so my stomach has been causing me issues which hasn't helped it at all.

I really, really don't want to strawberry float this up and today my Boss called me up to his office as he realised something was going on and he asked if he could help. I tried to explain away the stress to pressure with tickets but I can't help but feel it's more than that. I'm getting really self defeatest that any time I notice myself make a single mistake or feel like I'm falling behind on one thing I just feel like I'm going to fail. It's like there's a voice in my head telling myself over and over again that "oh gooseberry fool you're strawberry floating everything up, you're an idiot why can't you get anything right" and it scares me that I might have bigger mental health problems than stress.

I've been through phases like this all my life. I often get back on top of it and it goes away for a while. It's not like it even happens just to me IRL. There's a game I play and just before Christmas I went through this entire thing just localised to my streaming of said game/tournaments I run and how I play it. I read some book about how to not tilt or at least how to improve the negative thoughts that were building up and it genuinely feels so much better. It's weird, because it feels like I'm tilting but at work. I'm letting all my negative emotions build up and overthrow me.

I think I know what I need to do to get on top of things again and I think my chat with my boss genuinely helped a lot, but I'm going to talk to him more tomorrow and just explain what I've just vented about here. I just need to take control of everything again, but where I get so damn anxious all the time that I'm going to screw everything up it's hard.

Thanks for listening, sorry if this doesn't belong here but I didn't know who else to talk to.

Last edited by Qikz on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...
still
Joined in 2008

by still » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:00 pm

On my i-pad Qikz so can’t write a lot. But my first thought is, have you tried mindfulness meditation or relaxation techniques? I think you can still trial Headspace for free. Might be worth giving them a go so that you can a) relax at a fundamental level, b) watch your thought processes and see when they are illogically doing you harm. Just a thought.

Edit: by the way, your story definitely belongs here.

That
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008

by That » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:03 pm

Of course it's fine to vent here, Qikz. It sounds like some kind of performance anxiety, or like, mental block caused by stress. I think you're doing the right thing by being open with your boss and trying to tackle it head-on. Something it might help to focus on is that you simply wouldn't have been promoted if you weren't the best-suited candidate for the role. Everyone messes something up now and then, but overall your performance must be good, so you have every reason to believe you can handle the job.

Hope it starts to go better for you from here on in. :wub:

still
Joined in 2008

by still » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:43 am

Latest research on anti-depressents:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43143889

A good read if you have concerns about taking them.

Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

by Preezy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:21 pm

I've been feeling a bit "down" lately (not sure I'd define it as down per se, but can't think of a more appropriate word), seems to be a combination of work starting to get quite heavy as I've got loads on with no time or resource (or clear idea) to complete it, and a distinct feeling of loneliness.

When I say lonely, I really mean friend-lonely. I spend 99% of my personal life with my wife and daughter and it's great, but I do miss that camaraderie you get with your regular friends. My best friend of many years moved to New York last year with his new GF on a secondment (during which he fell off the radar and was really hard to get in touch with) and has since returned but is living in London, so I probably see him maybe once a month for a couple of hours in an evening if I'm lucky. Usually just playing co-op FIFA or having a natter. It's not enough. I used to see him regularly once a week for Games Night™ and it was a fixture in both our calendars. Other than him I've got guys that I work with but we don't hang out outside of work, everyone's got families and other commitments and honestly everyone just seems knackered all the time :lol: I have a couple of other old friends but contact is intermittent at best and at worst non-existent for months on end.

I used to have a group of guys from school (that included my best friend) who all played in a 5-a-side team together but we disbanded a couple of years back (too much glory or something) and everyone's spread out and lost contact other than token gestures. I'm just as guilty as any of them, I'm not the most social person and in my younger days I was never one to go to house parties or clubbing, and that's not changed as I've got older. I also just think generally as you get older people have less and less free time, it's not a surprise or anything.

The other night my wife went out for the evening with her work friends and I was sat at home bored out of my tree, I didn't fancy playing videogames or watching a film or TV, I just felt really lonely. It was a bit gooseberry fool and I really noticed it for the first time.

I appreciate that some of you are going through genuinely difficult times and I'm just having what appears to be a bit of a whinge, but I felt the need to type this so perhaps there's something to it? I dunno. What to do, eh?

Return to “Stuff”