All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 83  Next
 Post subject: Re: Windows 8
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:10 pm 
Somebody Else's Problem wrote:
1cmanny1 wrote:
What does windows 8 even do? Shouldn't they wait a few more years to release this?

Has Metro Interface
Runs on ARM Architecture
Allows mounting of ISOs onto a virtual drive
Windows Store digital distribution platform
Unifies Desktop and mobile Windows Operating Systems
Able to boot from USB device
Native USB 3.0 support
New system recovery features
Integration of user accounts with Windows Live accounts

Nothing then. Windows 7 still better be supported for years to come :x

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:55 pm 
1cmanny1 wrote:
Nothing then.

It's the biggest change Windows has gone through since, ooh, Windows 95? I'm not saying that means you need to run out and get it on release, but really? :|

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:02 pm 
It's consumer preview day!

Consumer preview download - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... er-preview
Engadget's WMC conference feed - http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/29/live ... orld-cong/

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Mafro wrote:
Price wasn't the only reson.

Last edited by NickSCFC on Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 11 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:21 pm 
Mogster wrote:
1cmanny1 wrote:
Nothing then.

It's the biggest change Windows has gone through since, ooh, Windows 95? I'm not saying that means you need to run out and get it on release, but really? :|

Change yes. Whether that change brings any actual improvement with it remains to be seen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:36 pm 

AKA: DAT MAF
Link to the consumer preview http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso

Blog | Twitter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:11 pm 
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Mafro wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:37 pm 

AKA: Somebody Else's Problem
Seems to be a lot of Xbox Live stuff on there. Anyone else getting the impression that eventually we'll be able to play Xbox Durango games directly on our Windows PCs? Or that Durango will come with Windows 8 as its operating system?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:39 pm 
Looks really good :)

I can see myself upgrading to W8 if they do another decent pre-order price like they did for W7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:46 pm 

AKA: Bigbruva
Seems to be a lot of Xbox Live stuff on there. Anyone else getting the impression that eventually we'll be able to play Xbox Durango games directly on our Windows PCs? Or that Durango will come with Windows 8 as its operating system?

Yep. Windows 8 might be the time MS brings the two brands together. Can't wait personally. A less restrictive console! :D

The above post, unless specifically stated to the contrary, should not be taken seriously. If the above post has offended you in any way, please fill in this form and return it to your nearest moderator.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:05 pm 
Fatal Exception wrote:

Yep. Windows 8 might be the time MS brings the two brands together. Can't wait personally. A less restrictive console! :D

Yes, that's entirely the direction they'll take. There's no way that it could result in a more tightly controlled Windows, Mac OSX stylee.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:20 pm 

AKA: DAT MAF
Downloaded the consumer version, might install it as a dual boot this weekend if I can be arsed.

Blog | Twitter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:27 pm 

AKA: Bigbruva
TheTurnipKing wrote:
Fatal Exception wrote:

Yes, that's entirely the direction they'll take. There's no way that it could result in a more tightly controlled Windows, Mac OSX stylee.

It wont. "Life without walls". 8-) Being restrictive on Windows goes against the main thing that makes it so much better than MacOS.

The above post, unless specifically stated to the contrary, should not be taken seriously. If the above post has offended you in any way, please fill in this form and return it to your nearest moderator.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:44 pm 

Mafro wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:47 pm 

AKA: Somebody Else's Problem
Fatal Exception wrote:

It could well be that the Durango is just a small form-factor PC, much like that Alienware thingy. Package it with Kinect, a 360 controller and basic wireless keyboard and mouse.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:35 pm 
Anybody trying out the preview then?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:25 pm 
TheTurnipKing wrote:
Mogster wrote:
1cmanny1 wrote:
Nothing then.

Change yes. Whether that change brings any actual improvement with it remains to be seen.

Oh sure, although I think it goes without saying that it'll make a massive improvement on Windows tablets. I was responding to 1cmanny1's comment that Windows 8 does nothing new.

Anyway, I've just got in so I'm downloading the preview to try out on a VM. I've downloaded both at work to try out on actual hardware tomorrow too. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:39 am 
Downloading this, hopefully it works with VirtualBox.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:30 am 
Copy downloaded :) Might get it installed at the weekend if I get a chance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:46 am 
It does work with Virtualbox, but I did run into a bit of weirdness with some Metro apps. Impressively it actually works much better with an old laptop I had lying around, even installing all components bar the graphics chip automatically once I hooked it up to the Internet. Even without the proper graphics driver installed it still runs pretty well and even enables Aero.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:47 am 
I'll grab this and have a play.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 83  Next