Share Saving

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
kommissarboris
Joined in 2009

PostShare Saving
by kommissarboris » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:56 pm

Anyone Share Save?

I'm investing at the mo some money with work in a share save caper, just a small amount, about £50 a month fixed over three years to see what happens. Appears that its like a fixed savings account, I had a share rate fixed for the term, at the end I can take my money back out, if the share rate is the same or less, or buy the shares and then sell them if they are worth more.

For example, fixed share price is £1, I save £500, at the end I can take my £500 snoops back if the shares are worth less than a pound or are still only a pound, or if the shares are worth £5, buy £500 of them at a £1 a pop and net £2500 :datass:

Now I already have some savings, a few fixed bonds, an ISA and a few easy access savings (the rates are a joke, but I can get access to the money) but I've never saved through shares.

Anyone have experience with this though, I can't see the risk, other than that what ever I save I don't get an interest on it, it all depends on the share rate, worst case the shares will be worthless and i'll just get back what I put in, best case... well, the sky is the limit, who knows what could happen, share price could and can sky rocket.

The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them in parliament.
massimo
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Share Saving
by massimo » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:39 pm

I've recently signed up to my employers share purchase plan. Get them at 85% cost price, but it's deducting 10% of my wages every month which is a squeeze. Should be able to pick up a handful of shares after the six month period.

by 7256930752 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:56 pm

It's how I got my deposit for my house about 5 years ago. Mine was £250 per month mind.

It's win win, I'd always take a share save scheme at work given the chance.

Slartibartfast
Joined in 2008

by Slartibartfast » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:57 pm

I do it, get a 12% off the price and the option was in the middle of a slump. Shares are currently standing at $12705 from a total investment of £3600. Not too shabby. Got two more years until they mature though.

kommissarboris
Joined in 2009

by kommissarboris » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:54 pm

Cool, so no one has had any bad experiences, thats nice, hopefully the share rates in three years are back up to £13 a share :datass:

The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them in parliament.
KingK
Joined in 2008

by KingK » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:24 pm

ShareSave schemes are brilliant. I used to work at a stockbroker for 11 yrs and saw countless employees of UK & US companies (BT, Blockbuster, Centrica being the main ones), all of whom were making a great return.

Now I know the market was different then but as has been said previously the fact that you are guaranteed to get your money back (ok probably without any interest although some firms will pay some token interest if you're lucky), you can't lose. The fact that you could be looking at a return of 2x, 3x, 5x, or larger of your investment is a no-brainer.

Good luck and tell us in 3 yrs how much you've made!

Return to “Stuff”