47%
I don't have a savings account
9%

Total votes: 90
Gario
Joined in 2008

PostDo you have savings?
by Gario » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:15 am

I'm not asking you to reveal the exact details of your wealth or the contents of your bank account, but I am curious to know whether people on this forum are lucky enough to have savings, or just about manage to get by month-to-month with their salary.

You can use the poll to keep things anonymous or elaborate in the thread.

Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Do you have savings?
by Preezy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:18 am

Minted 8-)

But it's all getting spent on my wedding and honeymoon :(

JChalmers
Joined in 2010

by JChalmers » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:18 am

I've got an ISA with quite a bit in and then my main bank account I've got a sum which is meant to go into savings but I'd rather keep it in my account "just-in-case" and use my monthly wage to live off.

Basically I take away the sum in my bank from my balance and just look at my wages which I manage to get by month-to-month as what I have as disposable income.

jiggles
Joined in 2008

by jiggles » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:21 am

I spend as I get, but I'm just about to start saving. (and have been for 3 years now)

kommissarboris
Joined in 2009

by kommissarboris » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:23 am

Yeah I save.

Got 3 bank accounts, 1 for bills, 1 for spending, 1 as a back up.

2 easy access accounts, 1 ISA and 6 Fixed long term bonds which are my early retirement fund, I just don't think about them otherwise I'd spend the money, they are made up of money I made years ago in the golden age of ebay.

And I've just opened a fixed 3 yr shares saver which could turn out to be quite profitable.

The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them in parliament.
Barley
Joined in 2008

by Barley » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:24 am

Yes. General savings for household emergencies/big purchases etc which me and my partner put the same amount each into each month and my own seperate monthly savings for an engagement ring.

Gario
Joined in 2008

by Gario » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:29 am

I got a cheque for £3,618 six weeks ago and it's already gone down to £1,600, which I'm disappointed about. I was a month behind on the rent at the time and I've paid for a year's car insurance in a lump sum, plus my partner has been out of work so I've been paying for him, too. I've never had money, and this is by far the most I've ever had. I'd hate for it to all be gone in the next few months and I'll have nothing to show for it except a fully insured car and a few new Blu-rays :(

Oblomov Boblomov
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

by Oblomov Boblomov » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:34 am

I aim to put away around £1000 a month, usually manage a little more. Hoping to drop everything I've got into The Mortgage Project in a couple of months. That's going to be scary.

Mommy Christmas
Multiball!
Joined in 2009

by Mommy Christmas » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:46 am

I have 2 kids.

:dread:
Lime
Joined in 2008
AKA: Lime

by Lime » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:48 am

No savings at the moment, as all money is going towards paying off debt.

I would create an equivalent debt thread, but I'm at work so can't spend that much time on here.

I wonder if anyone still has savings AND debt? (morgages excluded).

Image< Click here to listen to my band, finally on Spotify (and all other streaming services!)
3ds - 0946-2364-6907
Wii U - Monkeylime
Switch Online - SW-0245-1766-8994
Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Buffalo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:52 am

63p 8-)

Gario
Joined in 2008

by Gario » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am

Lime wrote:I wonder if anyone still has savings AND debt? (morgages excluded).

I reckon lots of people fall into this category. There are people who get themselves into thousands of pounds worth of debt and simply can't afford to pay it all back, even at the rates their creditors suggest. Then they might come into a bit of money, from parents or their employers, and decide not to use it to pay off their debts, especially if these are years old.

jiggles
Joined in 2008

by jiggles » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am

Well, this thread popping up has given me the kick up the arse I've needed, and I've started the process of opening an ISA.

I need to change my current account to get the deal I want first, though. Application's submitted for that. I hope this doesn't all go horribly wrong.

Johnny Ryall
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig

by Johnny Ryall » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:55 am

Not really if I stopped spending money on shite I probably would. I seem to float between £900 and £1200.

On the plus side I have no debt.

Last edited by Johnny Ryall on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meep
Joined in 2010

by Meep » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:58 am

2,000 ISA, scraped together from temporary and part-time work. If I could only get a decent job on a permanent full-time basis I'd be able to actually budget and perhaps accumulate a decent amount and start paying into a pension. At the moment it's really a case of putting aside what I can when I can. That 2,000 has the heady goal of one day being part of a deposit but in the mean time it's more of a security blanket, in case my car completely packs in or I get some other unexpected expense.

Student loans are still looming over me, but I did the sensible thing and only took the minimum I needed at the time and the interest is pretty nominal.

Oblomov Boblomov
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

by Oblomov Boblomov » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:00 pm

Cuban Pete wrote:
jiggles wrote:I spend as I get, but I'm just about to start saving. (and have been for 3 years now)

Same here.

Ob, you put over £1k away per month?!!

Shamefully, my parents only ask for £150 per month in rent and they provide food and all the other essentials. Like I said, I'm moving out soon, I promise :oops:.

Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

by Lagamorph » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:02 pm

Only just opened an ISA to start saving for bits and pieces. Dumped a grand into it and planning on about £150-200 a month out of my wages.
Will probably spend it all in a year on a new car then start over.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
Rightey
Joined in 2008

by Rightey » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:03 pm

I started working my first full time job earlier last year and I've just been saving up ever since, I've been able to put away quite a bit but even so I find myself surprised by how much I spend on things like car repairs and gas.

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Slartibartfast
Joined in 2008

by Slartibartfast » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:06 pm

Yes, I've filled my ISA this year, I put £50 into premium bonds each month and £100 into work's sharesave scheme. Won't be able to fill the ISA next year probably, but will chuck in a couple of hundred as and when it's left over at the end of the month.

jiggles
Joined in 2008

by jiggles » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:08 pm

Have premium bonds ever paid out for you?

Return to “Stuff”