PostRe: #MakePonyFamous
by Pacman » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:43 pm

TheTurnipKing wrote:
Knoyleo wrote:Kony jokes

if Joseph Kony was a rock, he would be Joseph Stoney

if Joseph Kony was a meat, he would be Joseph bologna

if Joseph Kony was really skinny, he would be Joseph Boney

if Joseph Kony was a father, he would be Joseph Alimony

if Joseph Kony was made of plastic he would be Joseph Phoney.

if Joseph Kony was a banker, he would be Joseph loany

if Joseph Kony had no friends he would be Joseph Lonely

:lol: :lol:

Pacman
Joined in 2009

by Pacman » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:32 pm

A clear and concise response to all of the criticism they have received can be found here

Rightey
Joined in 2008

by Rightey » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:35 pm

Pacman wrote:A clear and concise response to all of the criticism they have received can be found here

404 page not found?

Unless this is a joke :shifty:

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Pacman
Joined in 2009

by Pacman » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:11 am

Call and Answer
Joined in 2008

by Call and Answer » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:00 am

The idea is a-OK by me, stop a guy who's making people's lives miserable. And I like the plan for one big day where you put up posters and gooseberry fool to get people's attention. I don't like the video, it's smug and emotionally manupulative and it made me well up like a bitch, and I don't see why anyone in the UK is propagating this without putting some thought into what this campaign is. It's American, and their goal is to get the attention of American government. Perhaps it would be better to take it as a starting point and say "OK, I didn't know who Joseph Kony was, now I do, is the UK government doing anything to stop him? Not killing people and not forcing children into sex slavery and murder are issues I care about, maybe we should step in here?"

Douglas Adams wrote:I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
Igor
Joined in 2008

by Igor » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:11 am

I've known about Kony ever since I read about the time a few hundred of his men abducted around 140 girls from a Catholic boarding school. The school's head nun and a male teacher (two unarmed people) at the school chased after the group and managed to secure the release of about 110 of the girls within a few hours. Badass nun. 8-)

Kony is a strawberry floating mentalist, though. He believes that painting a cross in oil on his chest will protect him from bullets.

Also;

Wiki wrote:On October 14, 2011, Rush Limbaugh, a political commentator, originally questioned the U.S. move against the LRA on the grounds that "Lord's Resistance Army are Christians. They are fighting the Muslims in Sudan. And Obama has sent troops, United States troops to remove them from the battlefield, which means kill them." "So that’s a new war, a hundred troops to wipe out Christians in Sudan, Uganda." Later, Limbaugh stated that he would research the group as he was made aware of accusations of their atrocities.[70] Contrary to this assertion, however, he later allowed the show's written transcript to be posted on his website under the title "Obama Invades Uganda, Targets Christians".

Luboluke
Joined in 2008

PostRe: #MakeKonyFamous
by Luboluke » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:37 am

Skippy wrote:I really don't like how they've gone about it. It's idealistic to the extreme and entirely self-congratulatory, but if it gets the job done and Kony stopped then fair enough.

This is what annoyed me about the video as well, so much self indulgence and wannabe activists who want to 'change the world' with as little effort as possible. Also annoyed me how the guy seemingly used half of the video to carve out an acting career for his son. And from what I've read the Invisible Children charity is dodgy to say the least, but yes, If it actually helps get the guy then fair enough. I still doubt the effectiveness of wearing 'Kony 2012' bracelets and putting up stylistic posters with his face on them, as if he were running for strawberry floating president, though.

Fade
Joined in 2011

PostRe: #MakeKonyFamous
by Fade » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:55 am

Jigger Jay wrote:You're only posting this because Enter Shikari just posted in on their facebook wall!

TheTurnipKing wrote:30 seconds and nothing has happened. strawberry float this gooseberry fool.

:D

Ecno
Joined in 2008

by Ecno » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:21 am

Igor wrote:I've known about Kony ever since I read about the time a few hundred of his men abducted around 140 girls from a Catholic boarding school. The school's head nun and a male teacher (two unarmed people) at the school chased after the group and managed to secure the release of about 110 of the girls within a few hours. Badass nun. 8-)

Kony is a strawberry floating mentalist, though. He believes that painting a cross in oil on his chest will protect him from bullets.

Also;

Wiki wrote:On October 14, 2011, Rush Limbaugh, a political commentator, originally questioned the U.S. move against the LRA on the grounds that "Lord's Resistance Army are Christians. They are fighting the Muslims in Sudan. And Obama has sent troops, United States troops to remove them from the battlefield, which means kill them." "So that’s a new war, a hundred troops to wipe out Christians in Sudan, Uganda." Later, Limbaugh stated that he would research the group as he was made aware of accusations of their atrocities.[70] Contrary to this assertion, however, he later allowed the show's written transcript to be posted on his website under the title "Obama Invades Uganda, Targets Christians".

Can we have #RushLimbaugh2013. He's such a vile man.

Donate to the Ukrainian Military's fight against fascism.

https://bank.gov.ua/en/news/all/natsion ... ebi-armiyi

Contact your MP to voice support for Ukraine
freeda
Joined in 2011

by freeda » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:58 am

It's awesome to hear my Facebook friends say they feel "empowered" by sharing the video — but remember that charity isn't really about you feeling empowered, is it?

Exxy
Joined in 2008
AKA: Dodems

by Exxy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:55 am

Joseph Kony 2012: growing outrage in Uganda over film

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -film.html

Interesting read. Ugandans don't seem particularly happy about all this.

Pacman
Joined in 2009

by Pacman » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:19 pm

Telegraph wrote:"Have they thought of the consequences? Making Kony ‘famous’ could make him stronger."

:|

"Arguing for more US troops could make him scared, and make him abduct more children, or go on the offensive.”

So basically we should leave him alone in case we upset him and he REALLY starts abducting children :lol: We should try that with all criminals!

The following criticisms are going to keep popping up because the same people who complain that the #stopkony zombies haven't taken the time to read more into this whole thing won't have the time to read more than a few paragraphs about it themselves.

Telegraph wrote:Invisible Voices has faced criticism over its finances. Of more than £6 million it spent in 2001, less than £2.3 million was for activities helping people on the ground.

IC wrote:Re: Financials

Invisible Children's financial statements are online for everyone to see. Financial statements from the last 5 years, including our 990, are available at http://www.invisiblechildren.com/financials. The organization spent 80.46% on our programs that further our three-fold mission; 16.24% on administration and management costs; and 3.22% on direct fundraising in Fiscal Year 2011. Invisible Children is independently audited every year and in full compliance with our 501(c)3 nonprofit status.

Below is a screen-shot from pages 35 and 36 of the 2011 Invisible Children annual report that detail our total expenses for Fiscal Year 2011. An expense statement by class is the way nonprofits present their expenses to the public because it's the clearest way to show the purpose of different organizational expenses vs. a line item expense statement such as the one on page 6 of our Audited Financial Report.

Telegraph wrote:“It is totally misleading to suggest that the war is still in Uganda,” said Fred Opolot, spokesman for the Ugandan government.

IC wrote:RE: EXAGGERATING THE IMPACT OF THE LRA AND IMPLYING THE WAR IS IN UGANDA

Since the LRA left Uganda in 2006, Invisible Children has been publicly denouncing their atrocities in DR Congo, South Sudan, and the Central African Republic (CAR), while continuing to work with now-peaceful communities in post-conflict northern Uganda. In September 2011, Invisible Children launched the LRA Crisis Tracker website with the aim of providing high-quality, verified information about LRA attacks in DR Congo, South Sudan, and CAR. A detailed methodology is available on this website that explains how information is collected, verified, and rated in terms of its accuracy and reliability. Every incident that is reported through the Early Warning Radio Network run by Invisible Children's partner organizations is carefully verified with other actors in DR Congo and CAR before being published to the LRA Crisis Tracker; even after publishing, incidents on the website continue to be modified as--and when--further information becomes available. Each incident is rated according to two criteria, on a scale of 1 to 5: whether an incident has actually occurred, and whether it was committed by the LRA. In this way, Invisible Children is providing concrete data and helping to dispel unfounded rumours about LRA attacks.

Poncho
Joined in 2008

by Poncho » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:57 pm

Igor wrote:Kony is a strawberry floating mentalist, though. He believes that painting a cross in oil on his chest will protect him from bullets.

He's still alive, is he not?

And if he gets got then superb but I'm not liking or sharing the video like everyone else on Facebook. I was asked to join a protest group and all anyone is talking about is what they're going to wear and what posters they're going to make. It's attracted a load of fickle bandwagoners who don't really give a dick. Also, on my Facebook anyway, I'm seeing a lot people posting up memes and whatnot making light of the Kony situation. How is that helping exactly?

Igor
Joined in 2008

by Igor » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:39 pm

Poncho wrote:
Igor wrote:Kony is a strawberry floating mentalist, though. He believes that painting a cross in oil on his chest will protect him from bullets.

Good point. Do you think it'd also work in, say, ketchup?

TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:30 pm

Igor wrote:
Poncho wrote:

It's not the act, it's the belief. It may not be able to actually protect you from bullets, but the belief that you are impervious to bullets might well inspire a legion of weak-minded, uneducated idiots to stand between you and any sources of incoming bullets.

Knoyleo
Joined in 2008

by Knoyleo » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:18 pm

Spotted this in a window on my way in to town today:

Deep, man.

pjbetman wrote:That's the stupidest thing ive ever read on here i think.
Delusibeta
Joined in 2011

by Delusibeta » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:20 pm

Pacman wrote:-snip-

Telegraph's spot on with regards to their money comment. It's a valid criticisim, tbf: isn't the American Red Cross' proportion of money raised spent on the ground above 90%?

Igor
Joined in 2008

by Igor » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:22 pm

TheTurnipKing wrote:
Igor wrote:
Poncho wrote:

It's not the act, it's the belief. It may not be able to actually protect you from bullets, but the belief that you are impervious to bullets might well inspire a legion of weak-minded, uneducated idiots to stand between you and any sources of incoming bullets.

Thank you for clarifying that oil does not, in fact, stop bullets.

TheTurnipKing
Joined in 2008

by TheTurnipKing » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:27 pm

Igor wrote:
TheTurnipKing wrote:
Igor wrote:
Poncho wrote:

Thank you for clarifying that oil does not, in fact, stop bullets.

I'm pretty sure I'm actually suggesting how the opposite could be considered to be true... from a certain point of view.

Pacman
Joined in 2009

by Pacman » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:57 pm

Delusibeta wrote:
Pacman wrote:-snip-

Telegraph's spot on with regards to their money comment. It's a valid criticisim, tbf: isn't the American Red Cross' proportion of money raised spent on the ground above 90%?

I won't pretend to be any good with finances but each little segment of that circle in the jpg I posted sounds pretty important to me. They aren't just aiming to be on the ground fighting their cause, they also want everyone in the world to be aware of it, and whether you agree that's money well spent or not it certainly seems to have worked.

Fake edit: Trying to work out if I think it's money well spent or not... I dunno. The guy in the film with his kid was a bit of a tosser and there was too much emotive bullshit in that film for my liking, but considering the reality that the US could withdraw troops at any moment and that that's less likely to happen with everyone talking about this I'm not sure I disagree with him for how he's spent the cash. Everyone in the US should be writing to those legislators atm so we'll see what happens with that.

Return to “Stuff”