Life in Taiwan

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Bacon
Joined in 2012

PostLife in Taiwan
by Bacon » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:19 am

So I'm living here for 2 years, love it so far, I will post stuff in here that I find interesting about the country, because I'm too lazy to make a blog.

Couple of things I've noticed today:

-This country is insanely clean, there is hardly any litter, even dingy alleyways are mostly spotless, and on the main streets you'll only see the odd cig butt.
The 'MRT' which is Taiwan's equivalent of the tube or metro etc, is clinically clean, like you could probs eat of the floor lol, it makes the tube in London look like some African slum or something, the trains themselves are strawberry floating silent also..

The way the Taiwanese do recycling is crazy/awesome, In the uk we just dump paper/metal/plastic etc in one bin, in TW it all has to be separated and they are super strict about it.
The rubbish trucks also play music like an ice cream van lol, and everyone will come and throw in the rubbish themselves:

-City's booming with people are somehow quiet..I think it's because Asian people have really soft voices, so when hundreds are taking in unison, it's just not that loud.. Lots of us westerners have pretty booming voices, we just talk loudy, Asians don't? I just didn't get when the city we were in today was so quiet, in comparison to London or something, so yeah I think it's that. Maybe it's not I dunno.

Goker
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Life in Taiwan
by Goker » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:35 am

I was told that these guys were Taiwanese Special Forces in riot gear.

Ever seen one of those? Yes, that is the first question that came to mind.

The second is: How is Taiwanese cuisine like? A relative that had gone said most of the stuff they ate there didn't really appeal to him. Then again, he is Turkish, a country that consumes a lot of beef and the like. I would assume Taiwanese people consume more seafood.

Bacon
Joined in 2012

by Bacon » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:54 am

lol that is a pretty badass mask. I've not seen one of those no. only been here for 5 days so far though.

as for food, it's strawberry floating nice. there are awesome night markets that sell everything:

The nicest thing I've eaten so far are fried dumplings:

you can get 10 of them for like 50p, and you dip them in soy sauce or w/e, they're godlike

massimo
Joined in 2008

by massimo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:45 am

Bacon wrote:lol that is a pretty badass mask. I've not seen one of those no. only been here for 5 days so far though.

as for food, it's strawberry floating nice. there are awesome night markets that sell everything:

The nicest thing I've eaten so far are fried dumplings:

you can get 10 of them for like 50p, and you dip them in soy sauce or w/e, they're godlike

Oh man, is that with the sausage style meat inside? Love them. :wub:

So why the hell are you in Taiwan for two years?

Return_of_the_STAR
Joined in 2008

by Return_of_the_STAR » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:17 am

Enjoy real China.

Shoe Army
SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by SEP » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:50 pm

Bacon wrote:lol that is a pretty badass mask. I've not seen one of those no. only been here for 5 days so far though.

Reminds me of Sleeping Dogs.

~Earl Grey~
Joined in 2008

by ~Earl Grey~ » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:50 pm

Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, Bacon.... tell me about the ladyboys.

SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by SEP » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:04 pm

~Earl Grey~ wrote:Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, Bacon.... tell me about the ladyboys.

That's Thailand, not Taiwan.

Floex
Joined in 2008

by Floex » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Somebody Else's Problem wrote:

:lol: :fp:

Sounds great Bacon, I love the fact the first thing you show is the rubbish trucks :lol: What's the place you're staying like?

That's not a growth
Joined in 2008

by That's not a growth » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:58 pm

What you doing out there Bacon? My girlfriend talks about me moving out to Taiwan to be with her since she got kicked out of the UK but I'm terrified of living in a country where I don't speak the language. You know much mandarin?

Kinetic
Joined in 2008
AKA: Abraham, Son of Man

by Kinetic » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:58 pm

Glad to hear it mate. I lived in Taiwan for a year and it was fantastic. Beautiful country and really really lovely people. Make sure you see as much of the place as possible, particularly the outlying islands (Mazu, Jinmen, Penghu, Lvdao, Lanyu, Xiaoliuqiu), which are amazing.

I'd also recommend doing joining some Taiwan hash runs. Great way to meet people, see parts of the countryside you never ordinarily would, get some exercise... and then get smashed afterwards. I'd also recommend buying a second-hand scooter. It's easy enough (ish) to rent them from towns that you visit, but I've gotta say, I do regret not buying one.

Hope you have a great time buddy. I am very envious of you!

Kinetic
Joined in 2008
AKA: Abraham, Son of Man

by Kinetic » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:00 pm

Also, you will learn to hate the late-night recycling dash. The novelty of greensleeves-playing rubbish trucks wears off quickly!

~Earl Grey~
Joined in 2008

by ~Earl Grey~ » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:44 pm

In that case you must be a full Moon.

Pontius Pilate
Joined in 2008

by Pontius Pilate » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:36 pm

That's not a growth wrote:What you doing out there Bacon? My girlfriend talks about me moving out to Taiwan to be with her since she got kicked out of the UK but I'm terrified of living in a country where I don't speak the language. You know much mandarin?

I posted this in another thread. But it might give you some peice of mind about living in a country where you don't speak the language.

Pontius Pilate wrote:Literally made no real attempt to learn Korean. Not in an organised and structured way anyway. I've learned a lot of words, simply from dating girls and hanging out with Koreans. And I actually learn quite a lot from my students. I might take up classes, but in all honesty, Korean is so hard that it's very difficult for a foreigner to become fluent in. I think only Chinese is supposed to be harder.

It's very interesting living in a country where you don't know the language. I often realise that I'm just walking around 24/7 soaking up new information like a sponge. It's also interesting how easily you can get by without knowing the language (and this isn't like visiting Europe, where almost everyone speaks English). A lot of people here can understand very very basic English, but can't/are too afraid to speak it. Miming and gesture skills really come in handy. :lol: I even went on a date with a girl who spoke like, really minimal English, and still had a great time. It's really cool how you can communicate in other ways. Oh and smart phones are a god send in terms of language barriers.

Also, I could be wrong, but I think English is the official 2nd languageof Taiwan. So, a lot of people probably speak English there.

Pontius Pilate
Joined in 2008

by Pontius Pilate » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:38 pm

Bacon wrote:Image

There is a food stall a stone throw away from my apartment that sells these. :wub: Pretty good, albeit a little greasy.

~Earl Grey~
Joined in 2008

by ~Earl Grey~ » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:12 pm

The Korean alphabet is surprisingly simple. I can't speak for the grammar, except that they go "se yooooooooooohhhh" at the end of lots of sentences.

SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by SEP » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:46 pm

~Earl Grey~ wrote:The Korean alphabet is surprisingly simple. I can't speak for the grammar, except that they go "se yooooooooooohhhh" at the end of lots of sentences.

Maybe they're subtly trying to tell you to go away.

~Earl Grey~
Joined in 2008

by ~Earl Grey~ » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:05 pm

~Earl Grey~ wrote:The Korean alphabet is surprisingly simple. I can't speak for the grammar, except that they go "se yooooooooooohhhh" at the end of lots of sentences.

Maybe they're subtly trying to tell you to go away.

What a prick!

Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Buffalo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:14 pm

That's what they said!

~Earl Grey~
Joined in 2008

by ~Earl Grey~ » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:50 pm

Buffalo wrote:That's what they said!