If Gamesradar asked us back, would you go?

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

If Gamesradar asked you back, would you go?

Yes, bring back the good ol' times
19%
No, GRcade fo' life
81%

Total votes: 70
Floex
Joined in 2008

PostRe: If Gamesradar asked us back, would you go?
by Floex » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:39 am

Cheeky Devlin wrote:I'd have no interest in going back to the 'Radar' at all. We've got a fairly good thing going on here, and while we have our problems at least there's no company looking at how they can monetise us.

Because we're doing such a great job of funding this place :roll:

As a couple of people mentioned before I wouldn't be averse to seeing the forum expand into creating it's own "Front page" so to speak. There's easily enough people with the talent to produce something about "Games + Stuff", at least on a small trial basis.

I never got this front page stuff, who exactly is going to work on it? Why would anyone come here to read it?

Mommy wrote:Other than the funding side, there is nothing they have that is better than what we have.
What if they dump us again? I couldn't go through another night like that.
Mocky playing his fiddle as Gamesradar burned, topics disappearing, one by one, into the void.

Dark days.

Glorious

Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Buffalo » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:47 am

I don't believe we've missed a payment since this place opened...so yeah, we are doing a great job funding this place.

LewisD
#grcadesangle
Joined in 2008
AKA: L3wisD

by LewisD » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:23 pm

The last four days of GamesRadar were hilarious.

I don't really do forums anymore however.. If this place went, I'd probably die with it.
Like a hamster that dies after being re-homed..

1cmanny1
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by 1cmanny1 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:30 pm

I would probably just go to Neogaf and continue to be an infrequent poster. That place isn't as good as GRcade.

JediDragon05
Joined in 2010

by JediDragon05 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:46 pm

I'd be on ign ( :dread: ) if things had gone/ will go tits up.
I like gaf but there godawful sign up system is godawful.
That & they don't have a babe / celebrity women thread like we do

West side mofos
Madness
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Tom Sawyer

by Madness » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:56 pm

Absolutely not. The GamesRadar forums now are terrible - remember when someone (PsychoPriest?) infiltrated the US forums and made a diary as a forumite forfeit?

PurplePenguin
Joined in 2008

by PurplePenguin » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:05 pm

The only thing I miss about GamesRadar was some of the people who I don't believe migrated over to here. I can't remember names so much but we used to play Smash Bros and it was awesome. I hope this place never goes dark it is quite simply the best forum ever created.

JiggerJay
Joined in 2008

by JiggerJay » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:10 pm

Buffalo wrote:I don't believe we've missed a payment since this place opened...so yeah, we are doing a great job funding this place.

We are and we aren't at the same time, it's hardly self sufficient when you rely on the same donators each month, it needs a steady stream either from advertising or referrals to survive the next few years.

Skarjo wrote:You can buy all the fancy houses you want, we still remember you in a bath covered in ketchup for a free copy of CSI.

Instagram Twitter
Errkal
Joined in 2011

by Errkal » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:00 pm

The problem is how you get the revenue, the easiest is subscriptions for some preium features but it brings the worry of people lording it over others or acting up and saying well i support this place so its fine.

Adverts are fine but most people block them so they wont be seen, also i could push people away from signing up if there are ads and if theya re for revenue you cant just ditch them if you login as they then serve no revenue purpose.

There are affiliate links but will they really bring in that much?

What ever happened about the offer to pay a chunk of the fee for a sub forum and mod rights in that area from the gamer guide person (sorry can't remember the name).

SEP
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

by SEP » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:02 pm

1cmanny1 wrote:Wherever the bull is I imagine.

So NeoGAF then?

That's not a growth
Joined in 2008

by That's not a growth » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:39 pm

Errkal wrote:The problem is how you get the revenue, the easiest is subscriptions for some preium features but it brings the worry of people lording it over others or acting up and saying well i support this place so its fine.

Adverts are fine but most people block them so they wont be seen, also i could push people away from signing up if there are ads and if theya re for revenue you cant just ditch them if you login as they then serve no revenue purpose.

There are affiliate links but will they really bring in that much?

What ever happened about the offer to pay a chunk of the fee for a sub forum and mod rights in that area from the gamer guide person (sorry can't remember the name).

How about for every £1 you donate you're allowed to edit 1 word in a post.

Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: based

by Mafro » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:24 am

Buffalo wrote:I don't believe we've missed a payment since this place opened...so yeah, we are doing a great job funding this place.

Not really. The amount of regular members vs the amount of regular members that donate/have donated is pretty shocking.

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell weed in animal crossing new horizons today.

Twitter
Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Buffalo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:27 am

I was just focusing on the positive. Misery guts.

Dig Dug
Joined in 2011

by Dig Dug » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:48 am

Mafro wrote:

Not really. The amount of regular members vs the amount of regular members that donate/have donated is pretty shocking.

You're right I've been using this place for free for far too long. Donated.

1cmanny1
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by 1cmanny1 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:06 am

People would be more willing to donate if we actually were being more proactive to sustain ourselves without needing donations. But we have discussed this all before.

Cheeky Devlin
Joined in 2008

by Cheeky Devlin » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:27 am

1cmanny1 wrote:People would be more willing to donate if we actually were being more proactive to sustain ourselves without needing donations. But we have discussed this all before.

Speaking of discussion, has anything came from the group of members who took part in the Open Working Group (http://www.grcade.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34261)?

1cmanny1
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by 1cmanny1 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:17 am

Nope.

Irene Demova
Joined in 2009
AKA: Karl

by Irene Demova » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:01 am

It's an interesting question if nothing else, I'd personally always expected small forums with close communities like ours to slow down when the members get older but this definitely hasn't been the case here. However the issue of us effectively being an island in the vast sees of the internet remains for better or for much worse being tied to a major website does lead to a membership which grows rather than dwindles.

That said I didn't even think gamesradar still existed, the place seems to have dropped completely from relevance

Rog
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Rog » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:21 am

I refuse to donate to this site as I have less privileges than everyone else.

Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

by Qikz » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:29 am

Rog wrote:I refuse to donate to this site as I have less privileges than everyone else.

check your privelage you cis white man.

The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Qikz...

Return to “Stuff”