All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 49124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1925, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1929, 1930, 1931 ... 2457  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:11 pm 
I'll never understand some people's fanatical devotion to '80es movies. Yeah all right they blew you away when you were eight years old and you can quote the whole movie by heart, but that doesn't mean it's amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:14 pm 
Commando is shite.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:24 pm 
Archaeon wrote:
I'll never understand some people's fanatical devotion to '80es movies. Yeah all right they blew you away when you were eight years old and you can quote the whole movie by heart, but that doesn't mean it's amazing.

Because nothing has that effect these days. Action films are just CGI fests these days with little to remember.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:50 pm 
The 80's produced some of the greatest movies of all time, including THE greatest movie of all time - Robocop.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:22 pm 

AKA: Ryallback
The Muppets

Segel written, starred. Bret McKenzie in charge of music. Loads of guest stars - Jack Black, Neil Patrick Harris, Kristen Schaal, Rashida Jones, Zach Galifianakis, Ken Jeong, etc...

Oh and MUPPETS!

Superb.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:29 pm 
Cuttooth wrote:
Commando is shite.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:30 pm 

AKA: Mind Crime
I watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs earlier. It was absolutely wonderful! :wub: The picture quality was utterly fantastic, too. Instantly one of my favourite animations. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:37 pm 

AKA: Bigbruva
DMT: The Spirit Molecule 5/10
An hour and 15 min long infomercial for DMT. Although I kind of want to do it now....

The above post, unless specifically stated to the contrary, should not be taken seriously. If the above post has offended you in any way, please fill in this form and return it to your nearest moderator.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:37 pm 
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:
I watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs earlier. It was absolutely wonderful! :wub: The picture quality was utterly fantastic, too. Instantly one of my favourite animations. :mrgreen:

Anna Faris :wub:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:44 pm 
Cinema does really seem to kick off in the 80s and start churning out some quality films. There were classics in the decades prior but the 80s seem to be bursting with top films. Would love to hear from someone who studies the history of film on why that might be, it can't just be that we're remembering the films we grew up with fondly because I barely watched any films as a kid.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:07 am 
Pacman wrote:
Cinema does really seem to kick off in the 80s and start churning out some quality films. There were classics in the decades prior but the 80s seem to be bursting with top films. Would love to hear from someone who studies the history of film on why that might be, it can't just be that we're remembering the films we grew up with fondly because I barely watched any films as a kid.

What am I reading.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:15 am 
Office Space

4/5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:42 am 
Avatar (Extended Collector's Edition Cut - DVD)

It's a good-looking film undermined throughout by clumsy, infantile 'eco-messaging' and anti war propaganda. Cameron clearly believes his own myth - his ego has now reached the point of hubris, which in turn lends his awkward directorial and authorial posturing a certain element of farce.

Technically, Avatar is wonder, even in ye olde 2D. It looks terrific. The animation and SFX are top-notch and pure weapons-grade Cameron. The characters are also, sadly vintage Cameron and also resolutely 2D. One can only imagine Sigorney Weaver signed up to collect the pay cheque; she won't be winning any awards for her 'acting' in this picture. The rest of the cast are entirely forgettable.

Shortly after the filming of Avatar multimillionaires Cameron and Weaver decamped to Patagonia, South America to engage in some eco-protesting of their own. Says it all, really.

6.5/10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:45 am 
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:

:wub:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:58 am 
Poncho wrote:
Pacman wrote:

What am I reading.

I know. :lol:

The '70s is the greatest period in cinema history, by far. Will probably stay that way for a long, long time as well. If you're purely talking about action films, then the '80s is probably the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:13 am 
Luke_25 wrote:
Poncho wrote:
Pacman wrote:

What am I reading.

The '70s is the greatest period in cinema history, by far. Will probably stay that way for a long, long time as well. If you're purely talking about action films, then the '80s is probably the best.

Die Hard brought the average up so much that the entire decade became the best in cinema history 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:16 am 
Luke_25 wrote:

The '70s is the greatest period in cinema history, by far.

Although the '70s often gets touted as the best period in cinema I'm really not sure how you can ever truly decide because each decade did something different with different countries coming to the fore. Even if you just say it was the best period in American cinema it is still pretty debatable seeing how great the '40s and '50s were and how much the New Hollywood films were inspired by European cinema of the '60s. Or maybe the '20s should be classed as the best seeing as most genres we still have today were defined during the period meaning it is probably the most formative decade in cinema.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:20 am 
Or maybe we can just enjoy good movies when they come out instead of categorizing everything all the time. GOD.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:20 am 

AKA: Anung
Pacman wrote:
Luke_25 wrote:
Poncho wrote:
Pacman wrote:

What am I reading.

Die Hard brought the average up so much that the entire decade became the best in cinema history 8-)

Luckily Die Hard 2 (the worst one) came in to 90's and didn't blemish the 80's.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:12 am 
Frank wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:

Anna Faris :wub:

Steeeeeve :wub:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 49124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1925, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1929, 1930, 1931 ... 2457  Next