All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2871 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138 ... 144  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:54 am 

No joke either, only one bloody cash machine on campus. Reading :fp:

No longer free MP for PS4.

Microsoft win E3.

Umi Yukaba - A Japanese Hearts of Iron III After-Action Report

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:51 am 
Emeritus
Lol blackboard.

PM is your friend.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:43 am 
What's even worse are the lecturers who don't put the content on Blackboard so that people are less likely to miss the lecture itself.

1. What about the people who actually were there and want to look at the actual notes

2. Bit unfair to people who haven't turned up for reasons other than CBA

3. The people who aren't there because they CBA aren't going to care about this idiotic viewpoint, because they're not there.

I also had a dyslexic lecturer who always put about 100 slides into his presentation per lecture, and then spent 5 minutes on each one, so obviously we get through about 12 slides. Especially the ones (there were many) that had Michael Jackson tracks playing in the background. He was also black and had a massive hard-on about talking about inequality, even when it had little to do with the topic that day. So when he put his presentations on Bb, they were just inpenetrable.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:22 am 
So I'm defending my thesis at 11am tomorrow... and I'm oddly calm about it. I think at this point I just know my research as thoroughly as I possibly can, so there's nothing left to do. I definitely know my own research better than my reviewers, so I'm pretty confident I'll be able to answer their questions.

Just have to remember to speak slowly during my presentation.

Assuming all goes well, this time tomorrow I'll be a graduand :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:13 pm 

AKA: Deadpool / sntaa
Good luck(or well played/unlucky if I'm too late) :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:31 am 
It's the night before a big exam.

Do you stay up late and work?

Oh, and I have a viva in Internal Medicine tomorrow, and I definitely don't know internal medicine better than my examiner. It's also gotten to the point where I'm trying to remember so much that sometimes I just stop thinking logically, which would make some questions much easier.

He's one of the best gastroenterologists in Europe, apparently, so I'm quite curious to meet the fella.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:40 am 
For exams I tend to stay up until quite late and only have 3-4 hours sleep before the exam. If I have a decent breakfast, shower ect. before I leave, I'm normally pretty alert during the exam. Guess it depends what works for people. I am incredibly lazy laid back when it comes to work so doing stuff at the last minute doesn't really send me into a panic or anything like that.

Good luck with the viva, oh and your thesis defence kiera :)

No longer free MP for PS4.

Microsoft win E3.

Umi Yukaba - A Japanese Hearts of Iron III After-Action Report

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:45 am 

AKA: Wuijibobo
A good sleep the night before an exam is always better than staying up (except for the cases where you haven't actually done any work, in which case, start cramming like mad).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:22 am 
There was a study that showed looking at the information then getting a good night's sleep before an exam is better than even cramming all the information over the night before, tired or not.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:50 am 
Depends on how far you behind are on your revision, surely. You can get by perfectly fine on a few hours sleep, so I'd much rather have a cramming session, then get 3-4 hours sleep before getting up early and cramming again before the exam. (This is assuming a morning exam, you might feel it a little more in the evening). I feel better knowing I've worked right up to the exam as well, I'd get annoyed with myself if I'd had a massive sleep and then couldn't remember some little fact that I should have known.

Good luck with the thesis defense Keira.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:27 am 
I preferred getting a decent sleep (7-8 hours; but I usually got that every night during revision times), though most of the time I'd done most of the revision I needed. I've always been laid back about exams, even when I haven't quite revised as much as I should!

I'm now done with exams for ever (at least academic exams), but I do prefer them to coursework....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:47 am 
I remember in first year, for my Histology final, I stayed up late going through notes and seemingly couldn't remember a thing. I got about three hours sleep, but in the morning felt like I knew it all.

Sleep is a great organisational process for the mind. Which is why usually I will stay up late to go over last minute notes, but I need a minimum of about 3 hours sleep.

And my exam went well. :D Heart Failure and Peritoneal Dialysis. Could have had much worse questions.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:50 am 
Whoops, with all the celebrating I forgot to come back and say I PASSED and have now completed ALL the requirements to graduate with my PhD in organic chemistry at the end of March :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:54 am 
Now you're a doctor you need to wear a lab coat 24/7. Lab coats. 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:58 am 

kiera229 wrote:
Whoops, with all the celebrating I forgot to come back and say I PASSED and have now completed ALL the requirements to graduate with my PhD in organic chemistry at the end of March :D

Congratulations! In three years I hope to be where you are now, only with history and not organic chemistry. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:59 am 
StayDead wrote:

This is true. You are not a proper doctor unless you either wear a lab coat or are from Gallifrey.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:02 pm 
StayDead wrote:

My mates and I are totally having a doctors-and-nurses-themed party as soon as I get back to Australia, it'll be awesome. I think I'll have to get a new labcoat though, the one I've been using for the last four years is covered in stains from all sorts of gooseberry fool I don't really want to bring home with me.

Corazon de Leon wrote:
Congratulations! In three years I hope to be where you are now, only with history and not organic chemistry. :lol:

Thanks, and good luck! Do you know what area/topic you'll be looking at for your thesis yet, or does that come later? I have no idea how doctorates work in humanities...

Moggy wrote:
This is true. You are not a proper doctor unless you either wear a lab coat or are from Gallifrey.

Oh I totally wear a labcoat.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:44 pm 
Just got my first MA offer, from Warwick. Strawberry float yeaaah.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:46 pm 

Congrats Clarkman, it's a strawberry floating good feeling when you get the offer in. :wub:

kiera229 wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:

Thanks, and good luck! Do you know what area/topic you'll be looking at for your thesis yet, or does that come later? I have no idea how doctorates work in humanities...

Cheers dude. I need to have an area of study all sorted out by the end of this month and have funding and whatnot applied for by March 31st. Not looking forward to sorting all that out but the end result will be killer, hopefully. I want to look at the effect of propaganda on Western Europe during the Cold War, specifically US video propaganda. It's not exactly life changing stuff, but I'm sure it will help someone...somewhere. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:47 pm 
kiera229 wrote:
I think I'll have to get a new labcoat though, the one I've been using for the last four years is covered in stains from all sorts of gooseberry fool I don't really want to bring home with me.

Mine is a constant shade of off white and won't go white no matter how many times I wash it. :lol:

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2871 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138 ... 144  Next