Edge 215 review scores - Edge 216 out 17/6 due to embargo

Anything to do with games at all.
Captain Kinopio
Joined in 2008
AKA: Memento Mori

PostRe: Edge 215 review scores
by Captain Kinopio » Sun May 09, 2010 2:16 pm

I don't agree with any of the GamesTM 10's I've played and only two of the Edge ones from this generation.

Having said that I do in general think games are, on average, over scored by one or two marks this gen and critics opinions and scores are beginning to mean less and less to me.

Time for adventure
consolegaming
Joined in 2008

by consolegaming » Sun May 09, 2010 8:05 pm

TBH people cannot justify 'good edge games' being a 7 when they gave halo 3 a 10, that just kills all arguments. :mrgreen:

Christopher
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Christopher » Sun May 09, 2010 8:07 pm

consolegaming wrote:TBH people cannot justify 'good edge games' being a 7 when they gave halo 3 a 10, that just kills all arguments. :mrgreen:

If you experience Halo 3 in four player co-op and then factor in all the online modes, then it deserves a 10, if they reviewed the single player on its own then it would be a 7.

ODST deserves a 10 for single player :wub:

consolegaming
Joined in 2008

by consolegaming » Sun May 09, 2010 8:09 pm

suzzopher wrote:
consolegaming wrote:TBH people cannot justify 'good edge games' being a 7 when they gave halo 3 a 10, that just kills all arguments. :mrgreen:

If you experience Halo 3 in four player co-op and then factor in all the online modes, then it deserves a 10, if they reviewed the single player on its own then it would be a 7.

But thats where they are going wrong. They need to review the single player and online separately, especially for 360 games, which follow the trend of 1 hour single player, 10 hour online.

HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Sun May 09, 2010 8:30 pm

consolegaming wrote:They need to review the single player and online separately, especially for 360 games, which follow the trend of 1 hour single player, 10 hour online.

This is exactly the kind of nonsense they don't need to do.

Seperate SP and MP reviews are completely stupid, as if you somehow are aquiring these things seperately. If you don't review the full package then you might as well not review it at all.

Pancake
Joined in 2008

by Pancake » Sun May 09, 2010 8:34 pm

So hyped for Galaxy 2! It sounds perfect. :wub: :wub:

by 7256930752 » Sun May 09, 2010 9:22 pm

HSH28 wrote:
consolegaming wrote:They need to review the single player and online separately, especially for 360 games, which follow the trend of 1 hour single player, 10 hour online.

Seperate SP and MP reviews are completely stupid, as if you somehow are aquiring these things seperately. If you don't review the full package then you might as well not review it at all.

Totally agree, if it's on the disk or at least part of the package then it should be in the review. Separately reviewing the content would ultimately mean marking a game down for lack of multiplayer, and that wouldn't be good.

Doc Miles
Joined in 2010

by Doc Miles » Sun May 09, 2010 9:23 pm

Hime123 wrote:
HSH28 wrote:

Totally agree, if it's on the disk or at least part of the package then it should be in the review.

Separately reviewing the content would ultimately mean marking a game down for lack of multiplayer, and that wouldn't be good.

That already happens. :shifty:

Mafro
Joined in 2008
AKA: based

by Mafro » Sun May 09, 2010 9:55 pm

consolegaming wrote:
suzzopher wrote:

But thats where they are going wrong. They need to review the single player and online separately, especially for 360 games, which follow the trend of 1 hour single player, 10 hour online.

Why have you singled out 360 games? :lol:

Most games are like this nowadays.

Fisher wrote:shyguy64 did you sell weed in animal crossing new horizons today.

Twitter
Venom
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Venom » Sun May 09, 2010 10:05 pm

The quickest way to make me cancel a subscription.... have the magazine available in the shops before delivering my copy. :x

JayGo
Joined in 2008

by JayGo » Sun May 09, 2010 10:07 pm

Mafro wrote:Why have you singled out 360 games? :lol:

Because he's a trolling Sony fanboy.

jamcc
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by jamcc » Sun May 09, 2010 10:19 pm

Zellery wrote:Edge have gave a lot of good games a 7.

Fallout 3, Heavy Rain and now Alan Wake are recent examples.

I loved the first two and I'm really looking forward to Alan Wake so it really has zero effect on me whatsoever.

Not played Fallout 3, though I intend to as I loved Oblivion. Heavy Rain was really good, I thought. I can see how it got a 7 but it all depends on whether you buy into the story, so hopefully it's a similar (for want of a better word) story with Alan Wake. :)

Edit - consolegaming, seriously, you were doing so well fighting off your fanboy tendencies but recently you've let that slip. Sad to see.

Rapidly-Greying
Joined in 2008

by Rapidly-Greying » Sun May 09, 2010 11:34 pm

VenomUK wrote:The quickest way to make me cancel a subscription.... have the magazine available in the shops before delivering my copy. :x

Enjoy paying through the nose for your copy then.

Rapidly-greying is Mediocre to Average at games :fp:
HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Sun May 09, 2010 11:59 pm

VenomUK wrote:The quickest way to make me cancel a subscription.... have the magazine available in the shops before delivering my copy. :x

This issue isn't in shops till Tuesday...

rudderless
Joined in 2009

by rudderless » Mon May 10, 2010 12:09 am

HSH28 wrote:

It's been seen in shops - I think that might well be where the info comes from, because I've not had my subs copy yet, and I don't know anyone else who has either. People on rllmuk said it was available in supermarkets this weekend.

[iup=3595962]KB[/iup] wrote:People like Glen Whelan have a proper face!
Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008

by Winckle » Mon May 10, 2010 1:42 am

rudderless wrote:
HSH28 wrote:

It's been seen in shops - I think that might well be where the info comes from, because I've not had my subs copy yet, and I don't know anyone else who has either. People on rllmuk said it was available in supermarkets this weekend.

Not had mine yet either. It is kind of irritating.

We should migrate GRcade to Flarum. :toot:
Fm
Joined in 2008
AKA: Foolish Mortal

by Fm » Mon May 10, 2010 1:58 am

HSH28 wrote:Seperate SP and MP reviews are completely stupid, as if you somehow are aquiring these things seperately.

You sort of are, if you're like me and don't play online.

It's pretty annoying when they score a game based on MP. I mean I have to read the text and everything!

Pedz wrote:recharging shields are gay.
HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Mon May 10, 2010 7:26 am

Winckle wrote:
rudderless wrote:
HSH28 wrote:

Not had mine yet either. It is kind of irritating.

Its not supposed to be in shops till Tuesday. You can't blame Edge if places have put it out early.

rudderless
Joined in 2009

by rudderless » Mon May 10, 2010 7:37 am

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen games rated more highly simply by virtue of them having a multiplayer component - regardless of whether it's any good or not. I do think anything with a multiplayer mode gets an easier ride, often because the reviewer thinks "well, lots of people like multiplayer and will probably enjoy this" and also because it's often a bit of an unknown quantity, what with the size of the online audience, the stability of the netcode, potential future patching and DLC all making a difference.

In many ways, it makes more sense to score the multiplayer completely separately, if only because most reviewers' experience of the online game before a timely review can be produced is based on playtesting at either a specific press event (where often it's a LAN setup) or on a debug console where servers are relatively empty. But then you have games where the focus is plainly on the multiplayer component, where rating them is more difficult if the publisher isn't willing or able to provide reviewing conditions akin to playing the game over LIVE/PSN.

Speaking from experience, I've had to review games where I've barely been able to get a decent game of multiplayer going because for the most part there's been no-one about. In which case there's a kind of tacit understanding that you assume that the net code's stable, that it doesn't degenerate into an unplayable mess when everyone's online, that there's a decent audience for it so you don't really need to wait any length of time for a game and it's easy to connect. It's often why reviews either gloss over the multiplayer side or talk about it in a way which doesn't really seem to tally with players' experiences weeks or months down the line. Heck, it's even worked the opposite way for me - Mario Kart Wii's online absolutely made the game but Nintendo didn't give me the opportunity to examine it at all, hence me being forced to rate it on the single-player alone. I wasn't going to extrapolate because I'd never played a Mario Kart game online before and it was impossible for me to assume that connectivity and lag wouldn't be issues.

People take the piss out of Games TM for reviewing the multiplayer component of a game well after its release, but it's eminently pretty sensible to do so. Even if it can make a mockery out of the initial score.

[iup=3595962]KB[/iup] wrote:People like Glen Whelan have a proper face!
Harry Ola
Joined in 2008

by Harry Ola » Mon May 10, 2010 8:31 am

Serious question, having never played Galaxy, what am I missing out on? A platformer executed to perfection or something much deeper?

Return to “Games”