Denster presents: The 4K/8K HDR HDTV Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
Oblomov Boblomov
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: HDTV Thread.
by Oblomov Boblomov » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:58 pm

Well, balls. Why does it seem so difficult to find a good selection of affordable 2.1 systems for TVs?

Pez
Joined in 2008

by Pez » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Well, balls. Why does it seem so difficult to find a good selection of affordable 2.1 systems for TVs?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003H9NHXI/r ... HXI6448506

Oblomov Boblomov
Joined in 2008

by Oblomov Boblomov » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:18 pm

Pez wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Well, balls. Why does it seem so difficult to find a good selection of affordable 2.1 systems for TVs?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003H9NHXI/r ... HXI6448506

Thanks dude, but if £219.95 is classed as affordable when it comes to 2.1 systems then I'm out! :shock:

Glowy69
Joined in 2008

by Glowy69 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:13 pm

Bose do the companion 3 for that sort of price, its amazing :wub:

Fabian Delph is a banana split.

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Glowy69
Joined in 2008

by Glowy69 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:14 pm

Mommy wrote:
glowy69 wrote:He needs an amp mommy, there is nowhere for them to go, and its kind of pointless

Agreed. Onto more serious matters. Are Comet going to have any nice sales at Easter?

I would assume so, but it might be delayed due to the sporting nature of the summer as big sales will be expected during the footy and olympics, plus Im sure something will be happening the new owners won't want to just sit there and do nothing

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

KK
Joined in 2008

by KK » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:22 pm

A load of new reviews up at HDTV Test.

Sony KDL-55HX823 LED LCD 3D TV

£1,469.99

'For a short time in the mid-2000s, Sony (which was transitioning away from CRT televisions) was one of the top names in LCD performance. Using panels produced in a joint venture with Samsung (who, at the time, were still inflicting questionable picture “enhancement” on their own HDTVs), buying a Sony LCD TV guaranteed the happy combination of a high-contrast Samsung LCD panel coupled with Sony’s taste in design, and video processing know-how. A lot has changed in 7-8 years though, and the competition is now tougher than ever (that’s our polite way of saying that Samsung HDTV displays have improved by an astronomical amount since then). So, with all that in mind, do Sony BRAVIA LCD TVs still have a place in the market?'

Conclusion

If we had to sum up Sony’s LCD (and LED LCD) output for the last few years in one word, we’d probably choose “decent”. And so it goes with the KDL-55HX823… other than the unusually slow menu interface, there’s nothing really wrong with it in terms of performance when compared to other LED TVs, but also nothing hugely exceptional about it, either.

Like many HDTV displays based on this technology, it produces decent black levels and an accurate picture, and suffers from the usual positives and negatives of LED LCD: in exchange for low power consumption and the ultra-slim profile, users will have to accept uneven brightness distribution across the screen, and some viewing angle limitations. The going rate for the Sony KDL-55HX823 online appears to be around £1300, which places it in a similar price bracket to the Samsung UE55D7000, an edge LED TV which shares very similar strengths and weaknesses. Users who are concerned primarily with picture quality, and who want a large-screen display, are still better served by Plasma televisions from both Panasonic and Samsung, in our opinion. LED LCDs have their benefits, most notably their very low power consumption and ability to produce very bright images, but picture quality appears to be lower down the list of priorities with this display type. If LED LCD is your thing, then the Sony KDL-55HX823 is one of many good choices in this category.

Panasonic TX-P65VT30B 3D Plasma TV

£999.99 -£2,989.00

Conclusion

If you’re interested mainly in 2D viewing and want the biggest, and by most people’s estimation, the best consumer Plasma TV available at the time of writing, then this is it. Running the newest system software (firmware), the Panasonic TX-P65VT30 is a slightly refined, jumbo-sized version of the 50″ VT30 model we reviewed previously. It features the usual Panasonic Plasma strengths: class-leading black levels which act as a canvas for rich, vibrant video images, freedom from any sort of viewing angle restrictions (the picture looks as good from the sides as it does face-on), a motion rendering method that’s very crisp (although not entirely trouble-free), and very low video processing delay, which is excellent news for gamers. It also features excellent colour accuracy, and, if calibrated, excellent Greyscale accuracy, too (although we think the out-of-the-box Greyscale accuracy could be improved, because like most of the 2011 models, pictures have a slight green cast to them before calibration).

Where the Panasonic TX-P65VT30B falls slightly (and we do mean very slightly) short is with 3D and overall value for money. There are many, many positive aspects of its 3-dimensional performance (for example, consistently judder-free motion, and almost-total lack of crosstalk artefacts), but a slight resolution limitation leads to some subtle jaggies being visible in 3D content. This is a little disappointing to see, seeing as Samsung’s cheapest 3D Plasma televisions don’t feature any such limitation, and the Korean company’s competitor to the 65VT30 costs considerably less (although can’t fully match its incredibly deep blacks).

Deciding on a final rating for the Panasonic TX-P65VT30 was difficult. There’s no doubting that it’s an incredibly high-performing display – again, due to its class-leading black level, it’s arguably the best. Whether we Recommend or Highly Recommend it to you depends on two factors: one, do you care about 3D and can you accept buying an expensive display with a slight handicap in this area, and two, can your home cinema setup and budget fit a projector and a screen, which will offer an even more immersive experience for a similar price? If you can’t accommodate (or don’t want to) accommodate a projector and are happy to pay quite a bit more than a comparable Samsung model in order to get access to Panasonic’s superior black level, then we highly recommend the TX-P65VT30B – it’s the best 2D HDTV around at the time of writing and its 3D support is excellent, albeit imperfect, too.

Panasonic TX-P42S30B Plasma TV

£438.98

Conclusion

After spending an unhealthy amount of time with the 2010 and 2011 Panasonic Plasma displays, we had a fairly good idea of how the TX-P42S30 was going to perform before we put it through our tests. The only sore points we found were its slightly cheap-looking design, and the predictable lack of effective screen filter, meaning that the Panasonic TX-P42S30B won’t produce rich, punchy images when faced with sunlight or strong artificial lighting. In these conditions, we’d encourage readers to look at LCD and LED LCD TVs instead, although this does mean giving up Plasma’s usually perfect screen uniformity, high motion clarity, and lack of viewing angle restrictions, all of which make the Panasonic S30 special amongst budget HDTVs. Lastly, like the rest of the 2011 Panasonic Plasmas, the TX-P42S30 sometimes reveals a little too much shadow detail (see the Gamma charts in the Calibration section), although this is the sort of error you’d need a perfect comparison display to pinpoint.

If you watch TV in dim conditions (or better yet, in a darkened home cinema room), then the TX-P42S30B is a bargain. In ideal conditions, it produces essentially the same contrast performance as considerably more expensive Plasmas, and the barely perceptible colour inaccuracies that result from the omission of calibration options are forgivable when you remember that the 42″ version can be had online for just £450. It also handles video games wonderfully, being the only Full HD flat-panel television in this price range that can deliver the winning combination of high motion clarity and high responsiveness simultaneously (on LCD, you can pick one or the other, but not both). It’s a fairly cheap HDTV that we feel has no serious flaws: nearly every quality that has made the 2011 Panasonic Plasma range so recommendable can still be found here, despite the budget price tag. As a result, it comes highly recommended.

Samsung UE32D5000 LED LCD TV

£389.99

Conclusion

There’s a lot to like about the Samsung UE32D5000, and at the current asking price of around £400, it presents decent value for money (although we begrudge the lack of Freeview HD/DVB-T2 tuner). The only real negatives relate to the use of non-MCFI assisted LED LCD display technology: fast motion video content will reveal motion blur, and the light distribution across the screen surface is slightly inconsistent, which is the price you pay for such a slim panel. It’s also a shame that the out-of-the-box picture was overly reddish, because we can’t imagine many entry-level televisions will be given the full calibration treatment.

However, if you’re looking for a smaller screen HDTV with great aesthetics, low power consumption, good black levels, excellent video game responsiveness, and potentially excellent picture quality with HD sources, then the UE32D5000 is a fairly solid choice.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk

Panasonic, probably unsurprisingly, leading the pack with Sony & Samsung bringing up the rear.

Glowy69
Joined in 2008

by Glowy69 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:32 pm

They arent new. Those tv's are ancient :?

Grumpy David
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

by Grumpy David » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:43 pm

New reviews are not the same as new TVs. I'm amazed they found somewhere selling the 65" VT30 for under a grand though, unless they meant the cheapest VT30 is under a grand, but then that's referring to the 42" VT30.

Oblomov Boblomov
Joined in 2008

by Oblomov Boblomov » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 pm

I emailed Amazon about the buzzing and they suggested I email Panasonic. I did that about a week ago and haven't heard anything back.

:x

Chocolate Jim
Joined in 2008

by Chocolate Jim » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:58 pm

What Tv is considered to be top of the range at the moment?? I'm looking at upgrading from my 3d 40" Samsung LCD

Saint of Killers
Joined in 2008

by Saint of Killers » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:04 pm

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:I emailed Amazon about the buzzing and they suggested I email Panasonic. I did that about a week ago and haven't heard anything back.

Call 'em instead. You may not like what they have to say but getting through to 'em is relatively easy.

0844 844 3899 (UK)

01 289 8333 (RoI)

Opening Hours ▪ Monday - Thursday: 9 - 5.30pm ▪ Friday: 9.30-5.30pm ▪ Saturday & Sunday: CLOSED ▪ Bank Holidays: CLOSED

Chocolate Jim wrote:What Tv is considered to be top of the range at the moment?? I'm looking at upgrading from my 3d 40" Samsung LCD

Panasonic VT30 range. Samsung D7000/8000. LG Cinema 3D sets are pretty nifty too and the Sony sets offer best motion tracking (VT30 is awful at it - out of the box anyway, dunno if it's possible to improve it by professionally calibrating them).

HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:58 pm

Are there new ranges due out sometime soon?

The Samsung 46" D7000/8000s is no longer available from John Lewis unfortunately.

Saint of Killers
Joined in 2008

by Saint of Killers » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:27 pm

HSH28 wrote:Are there new ranges due out sometime soon?

The Samsung 46" D7000/8000s is no longer available from John Lewis unfortunately.

If they release them roughly at the same time every year, then the new ranges should start hitting in a few months time (April onward).

Glowy69
Joined in 2008

by Glowy69 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:51 pm

Yeah, a whole new ranger will be able soon, ready for the olympics and football.

We are struggling with the 7 & 8000 series

HSH28
Joined in 2008

by HSH28 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:26 pm

glowy69 wrote:We are struggling with the 7 & 8000 series

You mean to get them in stock?

Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

by Lagamorph » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:29 pm

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:I emailed Amazon about the buzzing and they suggested I email Panasonic. I did that about a week ago and haven't heard anything back.

Tell Amazon to stop being idiots and deal with it. The problem is Amazon's, nothing to do with Panasonic. It's Amazon's responsibility to fix any issues with your TV, not Panasonic's.

Amazon, like most other retailers, always try to dump off their (legal) responsibility to the manufacturer. The second you let the manufacturer touch that TV, you give up a ton of legal rights if more problems occur in future.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
Glowy69
Joined in 2008

by Glowy69 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:00 pm

HSH28 wrote:
glowy69 wrote:We are struggling with the 7 & 8000 series

You mean to get them in stock?

Yup, theyve been short for a while, tbf most of samsungs top end LEDs have been short in stock for a few weeks.

We have loads of the gooseberry fool cheap ones :fp:

Oblomov Boblomov
Joined in 2008

by Oblomov Boblomov » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:27 pm

Lagamorph wrote:

Tell Amazon to stop being idiots and deal with it. The problem is Amazon's, nothing to do with Panasonic. It's Amazon's responsibility to fix any issues with your TV, not Panasonic's.

Amazon, like most other retailers, always try to dump off their (legal) responsibility to the manufacturer. The second you let the manufacturer touch that TV, you give up a ton of legal rights if more problems occur in future.

Interesting. Is there any official garble I can throw at them that will get their arses into gear?

Glowy69
Joined in 2008

by Glowy69 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:30 pm

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:

Interesting. Is there any official garble I can throw at them that will get their arses into gear?

You should still email panasonic, just in case they know something you dont

Grumpy David
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

by Grumpy David » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:08 pm

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:

Sales of Goods Act template letter wrote:Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: Faulty goods and the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended)

On [date of purchase] I bought a [description of purchase] from you for [insert price] which has stopped working.

The problem is [enter description of fault].

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) states that when a consumer buys goods from a trader they must be: as described; of a satisfactory quality; and fit for any purpose made known at the time of sale to the seller.

This legislation also states that the seller, not the manufacturer, is legally obliged to sort out a problem if the goods do not meet these requirements.

The law also says I have six years from the date of purchase to claim damages for faulty goods.

My goods are not [delete as appropriate - as described/fit for purpose/of satisfactory quality] and I wish to claim a [delete as appropriate - repair/replacement/refund] of my goods under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 as amended.

Please respond to my complaint within 7 days from receipt of this letter.

Yours faithfully,
[your name]

Return to “Stuff”