The DVD/Blu-Ray Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

What format do you purchase Films/TV on?

Only DVD
8%
Only Blu-Ray
63%
A mixture of both
29%

Total votes: 59
Banjo
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The DVD/Blu-Ray Thread
by Banjo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:37 pm

He was quoting Spaced.

_wheredoigonow_
Peter Crisp
Joined in 2008

by Peter Crisp » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:49 pm

That's ok then as being mean about Babylon 5 should be considered a treasonous offence.

Vermilion wrote:I'd rather live in Luton.
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

by Dowbocop » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:59 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:Yep, Deep Space 9 is indeed vastly better than Voyager.
The characters evolve much more in DS9 and some of the vast battle episodes are amazing. A personal favourite of mine is the episode The Siege of AR-558 in which they defend an asteroid.

DS9 :wub:

It gets the best of both worlds - instead of a starship visiting a planet every week it's the other way round, with ships docking and bringing the story to the characters. However, you also have main characters travelling in ships, discovering new worlds etc, so the environments don't become stale.

No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Joined in 2008

by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:16 pm

Thanks. I am now so hyped to start watching DS9 and Babylon 5 both are on the way to me now.
Got Babylon 5 boxset from Asda entertainment for only £43.17 and it includes all the films etc

Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

by Skarjo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Ad7 wrote:Babylon 5s a big pile of gooseberry fool!

GET OUT.

Karl wrote:Can't believe I got baited into expressing a political stance on hentai

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
Delusibeta
Joined in 2011

by Delusibeta » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:40 pm

Skarjo wrote:

GET OUT.

YAY!

Victor Mildew
Joined in 2009

by Victor Mildew » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:38 am

Skarjo wrote:

GET OUT.

o/

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
TigaSefi
Joined in 2008

by TigaSefi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:17 pm

Never liked Babylon 5 with the Amiga graphics!!

1 > 2 > 3 >>>>>>> 4 >>>>> 5
Wedgie
Joined in 2008

by Wedgie » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:45 pm

Yes, it may looked dated. (I got into the show much late.)

But the characters and stories are absolutely brilliant (until the later seasons.) And it pisses all over Star Trek, for me at least.

I shall never look at Star Trek's Chekov in the same light again. :lol: He was awesome as Bester.

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.

Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
JChalmers
Joined in 2010

by JChalmers » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:33 pm

Whats the crack with Star Wars?

Went to buy the prequel trilogy on DVD and I was told that the only way of getting them now is via Blu-Ray. I'm all for Blu-Ray Star Wars, just heard mixed reviews on the box set?

Anyone here that has picked up the Star Wars Blu-Ray box set and is it worth it?

GrinWithoutaKat
Joined in 2009

by GrinWithoutaKat » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:39 pm

JChalmers wrote:Whats the crack with Star Wars?

Went to buy the prequel trilogy on DVD and I was told that the only way of getting them now is via Blu-Ray. I'm all for Blu-Ray Star Wars, just heard mixed reviews on the box set?

Anyone here that has picked up the Star Wars Blu-Ray box set and is it worth it?

You can buy the Original Trilogy and Prequel Trilogy boxes separate if you wish. I've got the full box set and I'm happy with it, but a lot of people don't like changes made to the films and wanted the original theatrical releases.

Delusibeta
Joined in 2011

by Delusibeta » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:48 pm

GrinWithoutaKat wrote:
JChalmers wrote:Whats the crack with Star Wars?

You can buy the Original Trilogy and Prequel Trilogy boxes separate if you wish. I've got the full box set and I'm happy with it, but a lot of people don't like changes made to the films and wanted the original theatrical releases.

tl;dr it has been George Lucas'd. Again. To be specific:
he added the Darth Vader "No!" from Episode 3 to the climax of Return of the Jedi, and replaced the puppet Yoda from Episode 1 with a CGI version.

JiggerJay
Joined in 2008

by JiggerJay » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:21 pm

I ordered A Bittersweet Life on Blu Ray the other day, I have a feeling it will be a fake, but here's hoping!

Skarjo wrote:You can buy all the fancy houses you want, we still remember you in a bath covered in ketchup for a free copy of CSI.

Instagram Twitter
Joined in 2008

by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:41 pm

Wedgie wrote:Yes, it may looked dated. (I got into the show much late.)

But the characters and stories are absolutely brilliant (until the later seasons.) And it pisses all over Star Trek, for me at least.

I shall never look at Star Trek's Chekov in the same light again. :lol: He was awesome as Bester.

Yeah the awful computer graphics seems off putting but I am willing to oversee them just for the story and characters alone.

Anyone here planning on getting ST: TNG on blu ray? I use to watch the reruns on BBC2 but never got addicted to it as Voyager was on at the same time and TNG just seemed too dated. I pre-ordered the taster blu ray (£6.99 for 3 eps in HD) but I think thats as far as I will go.

Frank
Joined in 2009

by Frank » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:37 am

Morgan Spurlock's latest documentary, The Greatest Movie Ever Sold comes out on DVD next month. Been waiting for this, since I couldn't find any cinemas showing it :wub:

sawyerpip
Joined in 2009

by sawyerpip » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:43 am

Babylon 5 is awesome. My only complaints with it are that the first season can be very slow and difficult to get into, and the 5th Season isn't great, but that's because they thought it would be cancelled and rushed things towards the end of Season 4. Top quality sci-fi though.

On the subject of sci-fi shows, anyone who hasn't watched Farscape needs to get around to it. It has the best villain I've ever seen in a TV series and is amazingly fun to watch. Like B5, the first season can be a bit slow but from the last quarter of the first season to the end of the series it never lets up. Just recently came out on blu-ray too, I need to upgrade my DVDs. Farscape :wub:

Banjo
Joined in 2008

by Banjo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:50 am

Frank wrote:Morgan Spurlock's latest documentary, The Greatest Movie Ever Sold comes out on DVD next month. Been waiting for this, since I couldn't find any cinemas showing it :wub:

Missed it when it was showing near me. :oops:

_wheredoigonow_
Joined in 2008

by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:07 pm

Received my ST DS9 boxset today but now have to return it.

It was brand new, shrink wrapped etc. But some of the discs had already slipped out when I opened it. One disc had lots of scratches on it and covered in finger prints. Must have happened during the manufacturing process? Also the DVDs from this new compact boxset feel quite thin compared to the ones in my slimline voyager boxset that was released in a few years back and only has text printed on them.
If anyone is considering buying the ST boxsets then I recommend you just buy the separate slim line boxes as it works out cheaper than the new boxsets atm (because they are no longer on major offer) and are of better quality.
I just ordered all 7 seasons of DS9 from thehut.com and it worked out only about £6 more :) with a 10% off code.

John Matrix
Joined in 2008

by John Matrix » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:45 am

Just saw the Star Wars Blu Ray box for 50 quid in Sainsburys. Dunno if that's a good deal or not?

Rubix
Joined in 2008

by Rubix » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:48 am

John Matrix wrote:Just saw the Star Wars Blu Ray box for 50 quid in Sainsburys. Dunno if that's a good deal or not?

Been that price online since Christmas

PLAY | Final Fantasy VII Rebirth [92h]
WATCH | Ted Lasso S2, HiJack S1, The Apprentice S18
RACE | Westonbirt Half (March), Chew Valley 10k (June), GNR (Sept), Cardiff Half (Oct)

Return to “Stuff”