Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by rinks » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:49 pm

Robbo-92 wrote:I'll probably end up with the 12.9" model, it'll certainly be my go to device in most circumstances (maybe all circumstances now? I have no idea how much iOS has evolved since iOS 9) so I'll probably appreciate the extra screen space. Looks like some lines of the new pros are selling well anyway, couple of items have a 2 to 3 week dispatch time now. I reckon my main issue is 64GB or 256GBm, still reckon they should have started at 128GB ideally.

Yeah, 64GB is ridiculous. My Air from five years ago (to the day!) is 64GB, and I'm constantly having to delete stuff just to make room for app updates. I'll be going for 256GB, and I'm veering more to the 12.9" now too. But I don't really want the keyboard case. It'll just get in the way, and the on-screen keyboard is great. I've got an iMac wireless keyboard I can use if I really want to type something lengthy. I'm hoping that I can basically do away with my laptop for most stuff, but I'll still need it for ripping CDs and the like. I definitely don't need the pencil. But I kind of want one.

I've lost track of what has changed since iOS 9, but as you'll be upgrading from a 2nd gen iPad you'll have all the multitasking stuff to play with. It's going to be immense. My Air can only do the basic multitasking, so I'm looking forward to being able to use the split-screen etc.

User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by Robbo-92 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:36 pm

rinks wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:I'll probably end up with the 12.9" model, it'll certainly be my go to device in most circumstances (maybe all circumstances now? I have no idea how much iOS has evolved since iOS 9) so I'll probably appreciate the extra screen space. Looks like some lines of the new pros are selling well anyway, couple of items have a 2 to 3 week dispatch time now. I reckon my main issue is 64GB or 256GBm, still reckon they should have started at 128GB ideally.

Yeah, 64GB is ridiculous. My Air from five years ago (to the day!) is 64GB, and I'm constantly having to delete stuff just to make room for app updates. I'll be going for 256GB, and I'm veering more to the 12.9" now too. But I don't really want the keyboard case. It'll just get in the way, and the on-screen keyboard is great. I've got an iMac wireless keyboard I can use if I really want to type something lengthy. I'm hoping that I can basically do away with my laptop for most stuff, but I'll still need it for ripping CDs and the like. I definitely don't need the pencil. But I kind of want one.

I've lost track of what has changed since iOS 9, but as you'll be upgrading from a 2nd gen iPad you'll have all the multitasking stuff to play with. It's going to be immense. My Air can only do the basic multitasking, so I'm looking forward to being able to use the split-screen etc.


I've had the chance to have a go on a family members newer iPad (running iOS 12) this evening but didn't have a chance to really get to grips with it, one thing I did like is the night shift mode, imagine it makes reading books in bed much better on it (another thing I'll be looking to delve into, my bookcase is getting far too full! So I'm hoping to go digital via the Kindle app except for the odd book which will benefit from being a physical book or for series I have already that I feel the need to complete the set of). That was running on a 5th gen iPad and iOS 12 seemed really snappy on it so I can only imagine how quick it is on one of the new iPad Pro's, the geekbench scores I've seen are certainly on the very high side.

My iPad is just 32GB but it's right on the limit, I have 1GB free just for updates and a bit of a buffer. I'll be going for the keyboard folio case though, I think its a lot better than the previous couple of keyboard cases Apple have offered with the previous two generations of iPad Pro, mainly as it actually protects the rear of the device as well as the front (plus the case nullifies the camera notch), the multiple angles are a plus point as well and I like the fact that its powered via the iPad rather than battery in bluetooth keyboards (not that I own one anyway). I'll certainly be buying the pencil as well, like yourself I don't need it but I think it looks really neat and I dare say I'll get a bit of use out of it, maybe a lot if I get on with it. I'll also be using my PC to chuck a load of music on there and then hopefully not have to connect it that often (if at all), although I presume I'll need a USB A to C adaptor for this purpose as I presume the included cable is USB C on both ends?

Image

Image
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by rinks » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:51 am

Yeah, I’ve just checked and the supplied cable is USB C at both ends (and so the power adapter is USB C too). That’s annoying. I like to use one adapter for all my devices.

Anyway, you could sync with PC over WiFi but - this is the good bit - you have to set it up over USB first. Do you have a Switch Pro pad? You could use the cable from that for the initial setup, then use WiFi.

User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by Robbo-92 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:26 am

I'm 99% sure I have an Anker USB A to C cable anyway thinking about it, pretty sure I bought one so I could charge my Switch via a powerbank so I should be good on that front. Is syncing via WiFi easy? Take it I'd finally need to install iCloud for Windows for that to work?

Image

Image
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by rinks » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:46 am

I still use the cable to sync, so I’m going to have to get out of that habit. I don’t think there’s any need for the iCloud Windows app, if your PC and iPad are on the same network.

User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by Robbo-92 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:05 am

I'll have to look into that then, everything is on the same network so it should work fine.

Having second thoughts about which size option to go for now, the 12.9 is pretty much a sheet of A4 (plus around £220, not sure if the slightly extra space is worth the cost.....), not ordered anything yet mind as I'm awaiting reviews when they do launch on November 7th.

Image

Image
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by rinks » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:44 am

Yeah, I could still go either way between the two sizes. Bear in mind, though, that the seemingly small 1.9" extra diagonal actually increases screen space by a full 40%. It’s a hell of a difference.

And I’ve just realised that the new Pros are thinner than my iPhone 6!

User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by Robbo-92 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:19 pm

Wonder what the % increase is for the 11 from a 9.7 then.... Still jumping between the two at will!

Edit, think it's about a 25% increase from a 9.7 to the 11 (well I think it's 11.04 officially), still a decent increase really.

I do wonder if they are getting a little too thin for their own good, I can't be the only one who'd have taken a few extra mm for more battery and a headphone jack right?

Image

Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by jawafour » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:15 pm

I don't really keep up-to-date on the computing scene but I have an iMac and I enjoy using it. Anyway, I heard that you can now get a black ("slate gray") Apple keyboard and mouse and, as my old white ones do get a bit grubby, I thought I'd check 'em out.

£150 for the keyboard and £100 for the mouse.

... :shock: . At those prices, I just gave my current ones a bit of a clean :lol: .

User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by Robbo-92 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:32 pm

The reviews for the new iPad Pros are certainly positive, still not sure which size to opt for (hopefully now reviews are out we'll get some decent size comparisons between the two sizes) but I am leaning more to the 11", mainly as its the same size (screen wise) as my current iPad (size of the screen and the bezels) so it won't feel much different but I'll have a lot more screen space.

Image

Image
User avatar
RichardUK
Member
Joined in 2015
Location: Nottinghamshire
Contact:

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by RichardUK » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:46 pm

I have been checking various websites constantly for stock and finally found the iPad Pro, Pencil and Case I wanted and it all should be delivered on Saturday morning :D

Image
Image
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by Robbo-92 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:17 pm

Nice, what size have you gone for? What iPad have you got at the moment? Presume we can expect a pic or two come Saturday then?

I'm pretty much set on 11" but I feel like I'm having pre buyers remorse :lol: for what it'd cost I could get a normal 128 GB iPad (which is meant to be a solid device and still a good step up performance over my current iPad), with a Logitech keyboard case, Apple Pencil and an iPhone 8 to replace my Windows phone...... I really want that 11" Pro though :lol:

Image

Image
User avatar
RichardUK
Member
Joined in 2015
Location: Nottinghamshire
Contact:

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by RichardUK » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:42 am

I have gone for the 12.9 256GB in Silver, along with the new Pencil and the official grey smart folio cover, I have also ordered a gaming controller

Surprisingly I don’t have a iPad, I have pretty much everything else Apple - iPhone X, HomePod, AirPods, Apple TV 4K, IPod Touch, MacBook Pro, Apple Watch 2 & 4 but I have never had a iPad so I am looking forward to trying it out, I will be posting photos on Saturday of course next to my flag! :)

I never nearly ended up ordering a 64GB with cellular just because it was in stock but I’m glad I didn’t as I don’t want or need it to be cellular because it’s something I will probably only use at home or somewhere where there is WiFi and if I really wanted to use it out and about I’d just connect it to my iPhone, 256GB is the size I wanted because I think that’s big enough for me and it’s the same as my iPhone that still has loads of space left on it where as 64GB would be to small, I wanted silver as I always go for the white or silver option in Apple products if I can, I wanted the 12.9 over the 11 just because it’s bigger, I have not seen either size (apart from on the Apple event) so I have not seen the sizes for real yet

Image
Image
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by Robbo-92 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:49 am

Well as a first foray into the iPads you've certainly picked a good time to get one, the newest iPad Pro's really do looks great.

Image

Image
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by Robbo-92 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:49 pm

Any chance of a bit of help if possible.....

My mums iPhone (think its a 4s) has randomly come up with the message, iPhone disabled and connect to iTunes. Weird thing is she hasn't put her passcode in wrong for it to become locked? Typical fashion from her is she's not actually backed it up to a PC and I last had it hooked up just to grab some photos off of it about a year back (with the plan for her to delete them off the phone which she didn't end up doing). Looking around the only way to get rid of this message is to restore it via iTunes by putting it into recovery mode and setting up as new. Personally don't see any other way round this as it won't let me access anything on the device via the devices section on my PC or I could pull any new pictures off a go from there.

So any way to make a backup before I do that? Worth taking it into the authorised Apple seller in town? I imagine they'll need proof of purchase (which with it being a hand me down from another family member and a 7 year old device she doesn't have).

Any help would be much appreciated!

Image

Image
User avatar
massimo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by massimo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:05 pm

Robbo-92 wrote:Any chance of a bit of help if possible.....

My mums iPhone (think its a 4s) has randomly come up with the message, iPhone disabled and connect to iTunes. Weird thing is she hasn't put her passcode in wrong for it to become locked? Typical fashion from her is she's not actually backed it up to a PC and I last had it hooked up just to grab some photos off of it about a year back (with the plan for her to delete them off the phone which she didn't end up doing). Looking around the only way to get rid of this message is to restore it via iTunes by putting it into recovery mode and setting up as new. Personally don't see any other way round this as it won't let me access anything on the device via the devices section on my PC or I could pull any new pictures off a go from there.

So any way to make a backup before I do that? Worth taking it into the authorised Apple seller in town? I imagine they'll need proof of purchase (which with it being a hand me down from another family member and a 7 year old device she doesn't have).

Any help would be much appreciated!


Did she have iCloud backups turned on by any chance? If so, it would have likely backed up over night.
If not, she may have been using iCloud Photo Library which will have all her photos stored.
But yeah, she’ll have to restore the iPhone and I’m not aware of any way round it.

User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by Robbo-92 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:47 pm

massimo wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:Any chance of a bit of help if possible.....

My mums iPhone (think its a 4s) has randomly come up with the message, iPhone disabled and connect to iTunes. Weird thing is she hasn't put her passcode in wrong for it to become locked? Typical fashion from her is she's not actually backed it up to a PC and I last had it hooked up just to grab some photos off of it about a year back (with the plan for her to delete them off the phone which she didn't end up doing). Looking around the only way to get rid of this message is to restore it via iTunes by putting it into recovery mode and setting up as new. Personally don't see any other way round this as it won't let me access anything on the device via the devices section on my PC or I could pull any new pictures off a go from there.

So any way to make a backup before I do that? Worth taking it into the authorised Apple seller in town? I imagine they'll need proof of purchase (which with it being a hand me down from another family member and a 7 year old device she doesn't have).

Any help would be much appreciated!


Did she have iCloud backups turned on by any chance? If so, it would have likely backed up over night.
If not, she may have been using iCloud Photo Library which will have all her photos stored.
But yeah, she’ll have to restore the iPhone and I’m not aware of any way round it.


I've been saying for a while she would be needing an upgrade at some point in the near future so I think that may be the case sooner than I expected. She does seem to have all the iCloud settings on as contacts sync between her iPhone and iPad, upgraded the iCloud storage plan as well and will leave the phone plugged in overnight to see what it can upload and what can be salvaged.

Cheers for the reply though :)

Image

Image
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by KK » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:48 pm

I’m currently contemplating these three machines...

- 13.3” MacBook Air 1.6GHz dual‑core 8th gen Intel Core i5 processor, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD: £1,579
- 13.3” MacBook Pro TouchBar 2.3GHz quad-core 8th gen Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD: £1,749
- 13.3” MacBook Air 1.6GHz dual‑core 8th gen Intel Core i5 processor, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD: £1,779

In terms of overall performance I was wondering, comparatively speaking, what would the trade offs be to have one machine with a lot more RAM but a slower processor, and another with a faster processor but less RAM.

I also noticed missing from the Air is True Tone and Wide colour (P3).

Image
User avatar
RichardUK
Member
Joined in 2015
Location: Nottinghamshire
Contact:

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by RichardUK » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:28 am

Image

:toot:

Image
Image
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by Moggy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:39 am

RichardUK wrote:Image

:toot:


Image


Return to “Stuff”