The Football Thread 2018-19 - Boys of Betis Do Are Troops Praaad

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Match Week 1 Underway
by Dowbocop » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:24 pm

Irene Demova wrote:Emery bringing on his more defensive midfielder after going two down is some genius gooseberry fool

I can only assume Xhaka was in better shape physically. It seems we were better once Torreira came on. I didn't watch the game due to a family commitment but from Arseblog we seemed suspect at the back, compounded by our third choice left back coming off injured (are you strawberry floating kidding me?!).

I didn't expect to win today, I just wanted to see a better performance than last year's horrorshows against City, which I think we got judging from Arseblog not being apoplectic during the live text. I'm placing a lot more importance on the Chelsea match. I'd like to see Leno and Torreira starting. Genuinely no clue what to do at left back but I think Monreal only had a minor knock so maybe he can come back in.

User avatar
Ploiper
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - As you were
by Ploiper » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:10 pm

it will take time for us to fully get into gear, but there was some positives to take away from that game. Guendouzi did pretty well, one or two errors but is still young so forgivable. but full of running, the other new boys did alright as well. Lacazette looked dangerous when he came on, good work rate from ozil, and the pressing game was forcing man city into some mistakes. once this all clicks into place fully we shall be in for some good times, just got to be patient.

:toot: :toot: :toot:
User avatar
shadow202
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - As you were
by shadow202 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Watching Arsenal today reminded me a bit of Klopps first couple of months with Liverpool. The misplaced passes because the run wasn't made or the lack of finishing because something just didn't click. It takes time for it to all come together but once it does Arsenal should be a much better team and like Nev said today after a couple of transfers windows and Emri gets in the players he needs

PES Fan
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - As you were
by PES Fan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:35 pm

shadow202 wrote:Watching Arsenal today reminded me a bit of Klopps first couple of months with Liverpool. The misplaced passes because the run wasn't made or the lack of finishing because something just didn't click. It takes time for it to all come together but once it does Arsenal should be a much better team and like Nev said today after a couple of transfers windows and Emri gets in the players he needs


The issue with Arsenal is that it was the same old players letting them down again. No idea why Cech started, when they just signed Leno. Mkhitaryan and Ozil were invisible, Mkhitaryan also didn’t bother tracking back. Ramsey, Bellerin and Mustafi didn’t really cover themselves in glory. Xhaka like always didn’t do a lot.

Obviously Emery couldn’t make 6 or 7 signings. But he has got his work cut out to get them in the top four. Heavy loss to Chelsea next week and confidence will already be down.

He needs to make changes. If you going into a big game, I don’t think the team can afford to carry Mkhitaryan and Ozil. One of them needs to be dropped for next week.

Another issue is will Emery get the time. Pretty sure Arsenal board will want Champions league football and they will probably get rid of him if they don’t achieve that. If they wanted to finish 5th or 6th they would have kept Wenger.

User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Gunners in a relegation scrap
by Photek » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:13 am

I thought Emery made 6 or 7 signings??

Also, he doesn’t need top 4 to keep his job, don’t be so silly.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
PES Fan
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Gunners in a relegation scrap
by PES Fan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:25 am

Photek wrote:I thought Emery made 6 or 7 signings??

Also, he doesn’t need top 4 to keep his job, don’t be so silly.


They made five signings. Spent the same amount as Liverpool and Chelsea spent on their goalkeepers.

You want to bet then? Kronkes whole business plan at Arsenal is being based around being in the champions league and he doesn’t care about winning titles. Once Wenger stopped reaching that objective he was out of the door. Wenger would have gone earlier if he wasn’t consistently getting Arsenal champions league football.

The reason you sign someone who has won the Europa league 3 times is you hope if they can’t get it through the league then they can succeed that way.

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - As you were
by Hime » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:20 am

PES Fan wrote:
shadow202 wrote:Watching Arsenal today reminded me a bit of Klopps first couple of months with Liverpool. The misplaced passes because the run wasn't made or the lack of finishing because something just didn't click. It takes time for it to all come together but once it does Arsenal should be a much better team and like Nev said today after a couple of transfers windows and Emri gets in the players he needs


The issue with Arsenal is that it was the same old players letting them down again. No idea why Cech started, when they just signed Leno. Mkhitaryan and Ozil were invisible, Mkhitaryan also didn’t bother tracking back. Ramsey, Bellerin and Mustafi didn’t really cover themselves in glory. Xhaka like always didn’t do a lot.

Obviously Emery couldn’t make 6 or 7 signings. But he has got his work cut out to get them in the top four. Heavy loss to Chelsea next week and confidence will already be down.

He needs to make changes. If you going into a big game, I don’t think the team can afford to carry Mkhitaryan and Ozil. One of them needs to be dropped for next week.

Another issue is will Emery get the time. Pretty sure Arsenal board will want Champions league football and they will probably get rid of him if they don’t achieve that. If they wanted to finish 5th or 6th they would have kept Wenger.

Can't really disagree with that.

Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Gunners in a relegation scrap
by jawafour » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:15 am



Incredible stuff from Rooney :o .

User avatar
<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Gunners in a relegation scrap
by <]:^D » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:55 am

what a legend

User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Gunners in a relegation scrap
by Photek » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:43 am

PES Fan wrote:Once Wenger stopped reaching that objective he was out of the door. Wenger would have gone earlier if he wasn’t consistently getting Arsenal champions league football.

Wenger wasn’t sacked!? That’s some crazy revisionist history going on.

If he was I presume it was because of the fans, emirates stopped being sold out every game.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Gunners in a relegation scrap
by KK » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:31 pm

Questions have been raised over the safety of Tottenham’s new stadium after the club announced it is to delay the opening of the £850m venue.

At least two Premier League games as well as a lucrative NFL fixture will now be played at Wembley
this autumn after Spurs said they had found “issues” with critical safety systems at the new White Hart Lane. As the club pursue “urgent” meetings with the project’s contractor, there remains the possibility of further fixtures being moved. It is understood that Spurs have paid an undisclosed sum for the use of Wembley until the end of the year.

In a statement the club said: “Following the release of the Premier League fixtures for the 2018/19 season, we announced that, barring any significant issues with the final stages of stadium completion, our match against Liverpool on 15 September would be the first in our new stadium. Recent testing and commissioning has now shown issues with the critical safety systems. Urgent follow-up meetings with [the construction company] Mace and the trade contractors are now taking place.

“The delays created by these difficulties mean test events need to be rescheduled to take place ahead of any first official match at the new stadium in order to achieve the safety licence. In the meantime, therefore, our upcoming Premier League matches against Liverpool and Cardiff City [6 October] will be switched to Wembley, as will the NFL match scheduled for 14 October.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... al-stadium

Well that’s embarrassing.

Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Gunners in a relegation scrap
by Saint of Killers » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:24 am

:lol: The complete lack of details suggests to me that it's something hilariously basic that got overlooked.

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Gunners in a relegation scrap
by Tomous » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:21 am

Last minute design changes to stop it looking like a toilet perhaps?

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Gunners in a relegation scrap
by Moggy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:24 am

Gamerforever broke into the new stadium and had a dirty protest due to the lack of signings. The clean up is going to take months…

User avatar
Winckle
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Gunners in a relegation scrap
by Winckle » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:58 am

Moggy wrote:Gamerforever broke into the new stadium and had a dirty protest due to the lack of signings. The clean up is going to take months…

Can you have a dirty protest inside a toilet?

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Gunners in a relegation scrap
by Tomous » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:04 pm

Winckle wrote:
Moggy wrote:Gamerforever broke into the new stadium and had a dirty protest due to the lack of signings. The clean up is going to take months…

Can you have a dirty protest inside a toilet?


You’ve clearly never been to my office’s toilets after curry Thursday in the canteen....

User avatar
Winckle
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Gunners in a relegation scrap
by Winckle » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:14 pm

Tomous wrote:
Winckle wrote:
Moggy wrote:Gamerforever broke into the new stadium and had a dirty protest due to the lack of signings. The clean up is going to take months…

Can you have a dirty protest inside a toilet?


You’ve clearly never been to my office’s toilets after curry Thursday in the canteen....

No, I should have been clearer. By toilet, I meant the actual toilet, not the room.

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Gunners in a relegation scrap
by Tomous » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:14 pm

So BBC Sport's best contribution to football, Garth Crooks' team of the week, has a new feature called THE CROOKS OF THE MATTER

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45163683

Any guesses for what gets discussed in week 1?

If you said Pogba and his hair, you are correct.

User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Gunners in a relegation scrap
by DML » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:26 pm

This Spurs stadium thing is turning into a joke, the pictures today show a stadium that doesn't look close to ready.

I honestly believe Spurs should be deducted points for this. It's an absolute mistake to use the national stadium all last year and then be unable to fulfil games. It gives City an extra game at home if the game is swapped, and unbalanced the league. Teams are not let into the league for not having stadiums up to standard, never mind failing to provide a stadium. I think a 3pt deduction would be fitting in the circumstances.

Image
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Gunners in a relegation scrap
by Drumstick » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:45 pm

Tomous wrote:So BBC Sport's best contribution to football, Garth Crooks' team of the week, has a new feature called THE CROOKS OF THE MATTER

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45163683

Any guesses for what gets discussed in week 1?

If you said Pogba and his hair, you are correct.

:lol:

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Frank, kerr9000, massimo, Rich, Rightey and 65 guests