Xbox handheld?

Anything to do with games at all.

Would you buy an Xbox portable?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:25 pm

Yes
11
31%
No
24
69%
 
Total votes: 35
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostXbox handheld?
by Peter Crisp » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:25 pm

With Microsoft making the recent announcement that they're developing next generation consoles one of the possibilities is a handheld.
I think the first thing we need to see is if there's even a market for such a device as if we on a games forum don't want it I think they'll struggle to convince the more casual masses.

Would you like Microsoft to go the Nintendo route of low power or go all out for a technical showcase (maybe somewhere between xbox one and One X?
I think if they make the Gamepass available (maybe give handheld owners a discount as well) and make all games run at 1080p 60 in handheld mode it could be a pretty enticing offer.

So, do you think Microsoft should enter the handheld arena?

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Xbox handheld?
by Errkal » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:53 pm

I could see it being both.

I've said before I think they will use azure and let you stream you game while it runs in azure maybe with a handheld or a fire TV stick type device that does media too.

As well as a powerhouse device for people that can't stream / don't want to.

User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox handheld?
by NickSCFC » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:01 pm

Xbox One games running on ARM processors?

Don't see it myself.

Image
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:I remember playing through one of the female character's campaigns in Tekken 2 just so I could desperately try and fit in a wank for the ending video
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox handheld?
by Peter Crisp » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:06 pm

NickSCFC wrote:Xbox One games running on ARM processors?

Don't see it myself.


Who said anything about Arm?
I'm sure Microsoft can adapt the technology in the Xbox One and just shove it in a handheld as it would be at least a few years after the launch of the One X and won't be as powerful. They may even have had the thought of doing just that when they designed the One X.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Xbox handheld?
by Photek » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:47 pm

Xbox execs regularly talk about playing on their Switches, they don’t see it as a direct competitor.

They have the money and tech (MS surface) but I don’t think they’ll ever go handheld, if they do it’ll be stream based.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox handheld?
by NickSCFC » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:05 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:Xbox One games running on ARM processors?

Don't see it myself.


Who said anything about Arm?
I'm sure Microsoft can adapt the technology in the Xbox One and just shove it in a handheld as it would be at least a few years after the launch of the One X and won't be as powerful. They may even have had the thought of doing just that when they designed the One X.


Yeah sure

Image
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:I remember playing through one of the female character's campaigns in Tekken 2 just so I could desperately try and fit in a wank for the ending video
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox handheld?
by Peter Crisp » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:07 pm

NickSCFC wrote:
Peter Crisp wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:Xbox One games running on ARM processors?

Don't see it myself.


Who said anything about Arm?
I'm sure Microsoft can adapt the technology in the Xbox One and just shove it in a handheld as it would be at least a few years after the launch of the One X and won't be as powerful. They may even have had the thought of doing just that when they designed the One X.


Yeah sure


Is it really that hard to imagine a company may produce a product with future applications in mind?

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
BID0
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Essex

PostRe: Xbox handheld?
by BID0 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:46 pm

They can’t even make games to support their main piece of hardware :slol:

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox handheld?
by Peter Crisp » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:25 pm

BID0 wrote:They can’t even make games to support their main piece of hardware :slol:


Fair point.
I think they're slowly rectifying that though.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Yubel
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Nowhere
Contact:

PostRe: Xbox handheld?
by Yubel » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:26 pm

Microsoft are in the worst position to be dividing their resources between multiple platforms, not to mention they seem incapable of capturing the Japanese market.

User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox handheld?
by NickSCFC » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:34 pm

Photek wrote:Xbox execs regularly talk about playing on their Switches, they don’t see it as a direct competitor.

They have the money and tech (MS surface) but I don’t think they’ll ever go handheld, if they do it’ll be stream based.


Switch is here to compliment either a PlayStation or Xbox.

Nintendo left the home console market after the failure of the Wii U, the Switch is merely a handheld that, thanks to a bundled dock, can also be used on a TV.

It's obvious from E3 that Nintendo is still squarely focused on kids, so Sony and Microsoft should hope that Nintendo's gateway to gaming is successful.

Image
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:I remember playing through one of the female character's campaigns in Tekken 2 just so I could desperately try and fit in a wank for the ending video
User avatar
more heat than light
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Xbox handheld?
by more heat than light » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:55 pm

Microsoft couldn't make Windows Phone work, why on earth would they want to make something with a more niche market? Steaming Xbox content to tablets and phones is as close as you'll ever get to a Microsoft handheld.

jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
KjGarly
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Xbox handheld?
by KjGarly » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:20 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:With Microsoft making the recent announcement that they're developing next generation consoles one of the possibilities is a handheld.
I think the first thing we need to see is if there's even a market for such a device as if we on a games forum don't want it I think they'll struggle to convince the more casual masses.

Would you like Microsoft to go the Nintendo route of low power or go all out for a technical showcase (maybe somewhere between xbox one and One X?
I think if they make the Gamepass available (maybe give handheld owners a discount as well) and make all games run at 1080p 60 in handheld mode it could be a pretty enticing offer.

So, do you think Microsoft should enter the handheld arena?


But they can't even manage 1080p/60fps with the majority of games as it is. gooseberry fool even after all the damn updates State of Decay 2 is still well below 30fps most of the time on the X, even recorded vids as it seems worse now.

Image Image
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Xbox handheld?
by Photek » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:04 pm

No one can achieve 1080/60fps for majority of consoles this gen, it doesn’t negate the fact that X1X is easily the most powerful console though.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Xbox handheld?
by Ad7 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:59 pm

Photek wrote:No one can achieve 1080/60fps for majority of consoles this gen, it doesn’t negate the fact that X1X is easily the most powerful console though.


Came for a variant of this, leaving not disappointed :lol:

User avatar
KjGarly
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Xbox handheld?
by KjGarly » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:09 am

Most powerful console means strawberry float all when the games, which are no way near the technical prowess in terms of looks and performance, perform so bad even after multiple major updates. I'm not slating the Xbone in a hateful fanboy way, far from it as my X has been used more since getting it than my PS4 Pro apart from dipping in to Horizons Frozen Wilds DLC, which blows anything on Xbone out the water in terms of looks and performance and that's on what your considering an interior machine.

Image Image
HSH28
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox handheld?
by HSH28 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:09 am

Power of the hardware is irrelevant. I'm sure if they wanted to MS could put together a portable device that was powerful enough to run games (though current gen stuff at 1080p/60 might be pushing it).

For me that's not the issue. The problem is that they don't have the games to put on the device, getting 3rd Parties on board would be difficult I think.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Xbox handheld?
by Moggy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:14 am

Ad7 wrote:
Photek wrote:No one can achieve 1080/60fps for majority of consoles this gen, it doesn’t negate the fact that X1X is easily the most powerful console though.


Came for a variant of this, leaving not disappointed :lol:


:lol:

User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: Xbox handheld?
by Death's Head » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:05 am

HSH28 wrote:Power of the hardware is irrelevant. I'm sure if they wanted to MS could put together a portable device that was powerful enough to run games (though current gen stuff at 1080p/60 might be pushing it).

For me that's not the issue. The problem is that they don't have the games to put on the device, getting 3rd Parties on board would be difficult I think.
If the games scaled to the platform (i.e. same game ran on handheld or full fat console) it would be doable. But then you have the problem of either needing massive storage or an always on, fast connection (and associated costs) for streaming, which basically stops all of this from being viable.

Sorry Pete.

Yes?
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Xbox handheld?
by Errkal » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:15 am

Streaming viable. We had this discussion in the OK most people have access to Internet fast enough for streaming. The average UK speed is like 30Mb which is plenty think of how many stream movies now on Netflix or use iplayer streaming a game is no different to that and if Netflix is viable so is game streaming.


Return to “Games”