63% of actors and performers earn less than £5,000 per year

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: 63% of actors and performers earn less than £5,000 per year
by Lex-Man » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:47 pm

Clarkman wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Clarkman wrote:I stand to make under 5 figures on my next novel (due September 2019, available in all good shops :shifty: ), and it has taken 4 years of work.


What's it called? I'll buy it in an attempt to get you over the 5 figure threshold, even if it's gooseberry fool. :)


The Art of the Body, published by Dialogue Books (imprint of Little, Brown - Hachette). I promise it isn't gooseberry fool...


Is it just full of taste full black and white photos?

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Clarkman
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 63% of actors and performers earn less than £5,000 per year
by Clarkman » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:22 pm

Ecno wrote:
Clarkman wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Clarkman wrote:I stand to make under 5 figures on my next novel (due September 2019, available in all good shops :shifty: ), and it has taken 4 years of work.


What's it called? I'll buy it in an attempt to get you over the 5 figure threshold, even if it's gooseberry fool. :)


The Art of the Body, published by Dialogue Books (imprint of Little, Brown - Hachette). I promise it isn't gooseberry fool...


Out of interest how does it work? What % do you get on sales, do you get a flat fee etc?


Paid an advance, split into quarters (manuscript acceptance, delivery of edited manuscript, publication date, fulfilment of marketing responsibilities). If the book sells enough to earn off the advance, you then get a decent percentage of sales at the cost price.

lex-man wrote:Is it just full of taste full black and white photos?


Reasonable question - sadly no. They asked me to change the title twice and this is what we've ended up with. Check out a press release about the book here.

Apologies for diverting the topic.

Gemini73

PostRe: 63% of actors and performers earn less than £5,000 per year
by Gemini73 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:13 am

Clearly my Withnail meme didn't receive the respect it clearly deserved.

User avatar
Sandy
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Akuma / Dormin
Location: Surrey, darling

PostRe: 63% of actors and performers earn less than £5,000 per year
by Sandy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:26 am

Clarkman wrote:Reasonable question - sadly no. They asked me to change the title twice and this is what we've ended up with. Check out a press release about the book here.

Apologies for diverting the topic.


All you need to do is make it unnecessarily dark and it'll be shortlisted for Man Booker.

Then HBO or Channel 4 can make a TV series about it and pay 63% of the cast less than £5,000 a year.

User avatar
Clarkman
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: 63% of actors and performers earn less than £5,000 per year
by Clarkman » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:29 am

Sandy wrote:
Clarkman wrote:Reasonable question - sadly no. They asked me to change the title twice and this is what we've ended up with. Check out a press release about the book here.

Apologies for diverting the topic.


All you need to do is make it unnecessarily dark and it'll be shortlisted for Man Booker.

Then HBO or Channel 4 can make a TV series about it and pay 63% of the cast less than £5,000 a year.


If anything most publishers are going in the opposite direction and want lighthearted books currently. They've made me tone down a lot of the darkness in edits so far.

Wouldn't turn down that sweet sweet TV cash either way :shifty:


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dowbocop, Ecno, Garth, Lagamorph, Lex-Man, massimo, MSN [Bot], Return_of_the_STAR, Skarjo, Tsunade and 73 guests