Android Thread v2

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by NickSCFC » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:14 pm

Just updated my Galaxy S8 to Android 9 Pie (Samsung One UI).

Must say I'm really liking it, gone is the ugly Samsung aesthetic. exchanged for something more in line with standard Android.

https://vaaju.com/austriaeng/samsung-on ... rience-ui/

Home screen
Image

Notifications
Image

Settings
Image

Image
Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Lagamorph » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:49 pm

It's definitely nice, but I still hate Samsung for removing the ability to hide the navigation bar in their version of Android 9 unless you enable gestures.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
darksideby182
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: cove grove

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by darksideby182 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:54 pm

Gestures are fine I actually find it easier than before. I do get more lag on my S9 since I updated to Pie which is annoying.

Image
Wii U : punkeator
Xbox live : darksideby182
Psn : darksideby182
steam : Punkeator
Origin : Punkeator
Switch : 6739-1557-7191
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Errkal » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:01 pm

Y s8+ has been gooseberry fool for the last month or so, I don’t know if it because I have an iPad and by comparison iOS is much faster and more solid or it decided to die as it approaches 24 mo the but it’s been crap.

User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Rocsteady » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:17 pm

Errkal wrote:Y s8+ has been gooseberry fool for the last month or so, I don’t know if it because I have an iPad and by comparison iOS is much faster and more solid or it decided to die as it approaches 24 mo the but it’s been crap.

Really? Mine still runs fine, loads apps faster than my iPad. I've not updated it though, dunno if you have.

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Jenuall » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:23 pm

My S9 is a tad more laggy than it used to be since the pie upgrade but it's nothing too bad.

Some of the changes took a little while to grow on me but I must say I really like the upgrade now!

ImageImage
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Errkal » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:32 pm

Rocsteady wrote:
Errkal wrote:Y s8+ has been gooseberry fool for the last month or so, I don’t know if it because I have an iPad and by comparison iOS is much faster and more solid or it decided to die as it approaches 24 mo the but it’s been crap.

Really? Mine still runs fine, loads apps faster than my iPad. I've not updated it though, dunno if you have.

Yup, it’s as up to date as is available as I always update. It isn’t entirely the phone many apps are just a bit clunkier than their android cousins and it just doesn’t “feel” as solid.

It’s like Windows Phone was better because it was so optimised and solid, ios feels like that.i also need a change as been Android for ages so I’m probably more prone to finding faults as I’m bored and narked

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Drumstick » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:50 pm

And here's my OP3T still running as well as it did the day I got it over 2 years ago, despite heavy use daily.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Sandy
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Akuma / Dormin
Location: Surrey, darling

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Sandy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:54 am

My OP5 will be 2 in June and it's been upgraded to pie still doing brilliantly. They don't seem to fill it up with shitty bloatware though so that probably helps.

I will monitor it as it approaches the big birthday and see if the two year tradegy befalls it.

User avatar
SandyCoin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: London

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by SandyCoin » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:42 am

Anyone had much experience with Samsung Galaxy notes? A store here is doing the Note 8 for €400 which seems decent value. I fancy something I can draw on with a big screen as my tablet is on it's way out. I've not had any experience with stylus phones though. I know these had problems in the past, but I assume they still don't blow up.

Do they get regular updates still? I'm aware it's a couple of years old.

-----> My Illustration Blog | My Shop <------
User avatar
Curls
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Curls » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:55 am

Right so here's one I can't explain and I wonder if anyone else has had this issue.

I'm on a Galaxy S8 with EE. My phone constantly rings voicemail. I normally find it does it when moving between aps, particularly in and out of whatsapp. I'll just find my phone is magically in voicemail. it drive's me up the wall.

Would anyone have any idea what it is? I asked EE themselves and they were useless.

Perhaps it's to do with using a driver? I do use one, I don't know what it is though as I can't remember how to get out of it.

User avatar
Slayerx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Slayerx » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:53 pm

Curls wrote:Right so here's one I can't explain and I wonder if anyone else has had this issue.

I'm on a Galaxy S8 with EE. My phone constantly rings voicemail. I normally find it does it when moving between aps, particularly in and out of whatsapp. I'll just find my phone is magically in voicemail. it drive's me up the wall.

Would anyone have any idea what it is? I asked EE themselves and they were useless.

Perhaps it's to do with using a driver? I do use one, I don't know what it is though as I can't remember how to get out of it.


I'm having a similar issue with my S9+ where sometimes when I text the Mrs it then calls her and not sure if it's a button I'm pressing that is set to do this I'm unaware of.

User avatar
Xeno
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Xeno » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:57 pm

SandyCoin wrote:
Do they get regular updates still? I'm aware it's a couple of years old.


Samsung is pretty bad with updates accross all it's platforms, both features and security.

User avatar
SandyCoin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: London

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by SandyCoin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:57 pm

Xeno wrote:
SandyCoin wrote:
Do they get regular updates still? I'm aware it's a couple of years old.


Samsung is pretty bad with updates accross all it's platforms, both features and security.


Hmmm, does that have any impact that's noticeable to the average user? I mean, I've had my S4 for like 6 yrs and it's still ok. The last update for that was probably a fair few years ago :lol:

-----> My Illustration Blog | My Shop <------
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Errkal » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:59 pm

SandyCoin wrote:
Xeno wrote:
SandyCoin wrote:
Do they get regular updates still? I'm aware it's a couple of years old.


Samsung is pretty bad with updates accross all it's platforms, both features and security.


Hmmm, does that have any impact that's noticeable to the average user? I mean, I've had my S4 for like 6 yrs and it's still ok. The last update for that was probably a fair few years ago :lol:


Security.

User avatar
Chocolate-Milk
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Chocolate-Milk » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:37 pm

I just upgraded my S8 to Pie.

I'd like to go back please. The navigation gestures are bad. I want my navigation bar lock button. The recent app menu swipes the wrong way. The notification drawer is too big.

Image
For the love of God, at least let me center my weather widget.

Last edited by Chocolate-Milk on Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Errkal » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:46 pm

Chocolate-Milk wrote:I just upgraded my S8 to Pie.

I'd like to go back please.


My 8+ went the other day to pie, it’s awesome!

User avatar
Chocolate-Milk
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Chocolate-Milk » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:43 pm

Chocolate-Milk wrote:Image
For the love of God, at least let me center my weather widget.


Never mind I fixed it. All is forgiven.

Image
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Errkal » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:48 pm

Chocolate-Milk wrote:
Chocolate-Milk wrote:Image
For the love of God, at least let me center my weather widget.


Never mind I fixed it. All is forgiven.


Press and hold, resize.

User avatar
Chocolate-Milk
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Android Thread v2
by Chocolate-Milk » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:50 pm

That would be how I fixed it, yes.

It just has to be absurdly long to center properly.

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Blue Eyes, Denster, Dowbocop, Garth, Google [Bot], IAmTheSaladMan, Lex-Man, more heat than light, Peter Crisp, Photek, PuppetBoy, Return_of_the_STAR, suzzopher, Thingyman, TonyDA and 71 guests