Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
GrinWithoutaKat
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by GrinWithoutaKat » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:46 am

My iMac won't connect to ethernet. It says it has a self-assigning IP and this is the reason why. Looking it up, it seems quite a common issue, although I've not experienced it before. I didn't change anything, the machine is just a plex server at this point, and I even used time machine to set the whole OS back a week, but it still didn't fix it, which makes me wonder if it's a hardware issue. There's loads of suggested fixes online such as as deleting some files from the preferences folder, or even deleting the connection and re-adding, but none of these have worked. Might try a full wipe of the system next.

Image
User avatar
massimo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by massimo » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:31 am

GrinWithoutaKat wrote:My iMac won't connect to ethernet. It says it has a self-assigning IP and this is the reason why. Looking it up, it seems quite a common issue, although I've not experienced it before. I didn't change anything, the machine is just a plex server at this point, and I even used time machine to set the whole OS back a week, but it still didn't fix it, which makes me wonder if it's a hardware issue. There's loads of suggested fixes online such as as deleting some files from the preferences folder, or even deleting the connection and re-adding, but none of these have worked. Might try a full wipe of the system next.

Hi, assuming you've checked the ethernet connection itself is working, and have done a restart, try creating a new Network Location.

Go to System Preferences > Network.
You'll see a drop down box for Location, and yours is likely to be Automatic. Click edit in there and create a new one, call it whatever you like. Click Apply and then see what that does.

User avatar
GrinWithoutaKat
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by GrinWithoutaKat » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:55 pm

massimo wrote:
GrinWithoutaKat wrote:My iMac won't connect to ethernet. It says it has a self-assigning IP and this is the reason why. Looking it up, it seems quite a common issue, although I've not experienced it before. I didn't change anything, the machine is just a plex server at this point, and I even used time machine to set the whole OS back a week, but it still didn't fix it, which makes me wonder if it's a hardware issue. There's loads of suggested fixes online such as as deleting some files from the preferences folder, or even deleting the connection and re-adding, but none of these have worked. Might try a full wipe of the system next.

Hi, assuming you've checked the ethernet connection itself is working, and have done a restart, try creating a new Network Location.

Go to System Preferences > Network.
You'll see a drop down box for Location, and yours is likely to be Automatic. Click edit in there and create a new one, call it whatever you like. Click Apply and then see what that does.


Turned out to not be an issue with the Mac at all :fp:

I tried my work computer and it was the same. Seems my powerline adapters had become unpaired.

Image
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by Mafro » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:03 am

Argos are doing HomePods for £199. I'd jump on that if it had proper Spotify support.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:02 pm

Mafro wrote:Argos are doing HomePods for £199. I'd jump on that if it had proper Spotify support.

Just ordered from John Lewis. Was so hard to choose a colour but ended up going with my usual Space Grey preference as I prefer the black led screen :)
Update: Nice little speaker but I was no way blown away by it, as my 8 year old Bang & Olufsen iPod dock still sounds way better but then it is twice the size of this tiny HomePod.

User avatar
RichardUK
Member
Joined in 2015
Location: Nottinghamshire & Bavaria
Contact:

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by RichardUK » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:24 pm

I have a iPhone 11 Pro Max and one of the best features is the battery and I normally only need to charge it every couple of days, today I fully charged it and at around 12:30 it was 100% I took it out while I was at the shop and then when I got home (still on 100%) I just put it down and have not been on it until now, normally it would be at around 98% but shockingly when I looked it was on 40%, what could have caused this?

Image

Image
Image
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'
User avatar
KjGarly
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by KjGarly » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:02 am

RichardUK wrote:I have a iPhone 11 Pro Max and one of the best features is the battery and I normally only need to charge it every couple of days, today I fully charged it and at around 12:30 it was 100% I took it out while I was at the shop and then when I got home (still on 100%) I just put it down and have not been on it until now, normally it would be at around 98% but shockingly when I looked it was on 40%, what could have caused this?

Image


Do you use the fast charger that comes with it? I have the same phone and read somewhere using a fast charger with any phone degrades the battery - my partners S9 has terrible battery life, hers was bought months after I’d got the S9 Plus on release and I always used a wireless charger and never had battery problems - with my 11 Pro Max I’ve used the same wireless charger (Belkin one) since getting my phone and battery health is still 100%. Since taking it off charge this morning (7:30) it’s now sat on 62% and that’s with a lot of browsing and WhatsApp use throughout the day and that’s with auto brightness off which I never have enabled.

Image
Image
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by rinks » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:15 am

What does the “battery usage by app” say?

User avatar
kazanova_Frankenstein
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by kazanova_Frankenstein » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:52 am

RichardUK wrote:I have a iPhone 11 Pro Max and one of the best features is the battery and I normally only need to charge it every couple of days, today I fully charged it and at around 12:30 it was 100% I took it out while I was at the shop and then when I got home (still on 100%) I just put it down and have not been on it until now, normally it would be at around 98% but shockingly when I looked it was on 40%, what could have caused this?

Image


I have had this twice with my iphone 11 (have owned it about 4 months). I had caught it both times and restarted the phone, which stopped the issue. I'm guessing something is running flat out in the background that shouldn't be. Its a shame as the battery life is amazing at all times, but this occasional glitch has me anxiously checking it more than i should need to.
The battery useage app did not show any rogue programs running, it had just dived the usage % up across the apps that i had used (with the correct duration of use against each one).

Image
Image
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by Victor Mildew » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:58 am

I get this with my S7, I had a new battery put in not that long ago and it seemed back to normal but pretty quickly it started just dropping all power under any use. The tablet I'm typing this on (galaxy tab s2) used to have incredible battery life, it would last most of the week on one charge, but now it seems to lose 1% a minute under browsing use.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
massimo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by massimo » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:58 pm

It was probably just an process spinning up the CPU unnecessarily due to a bug. Restart the phone, check for updates and see how it goes.

User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by ITSMILNER » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:57 pm

Any word on if the IPhone SE 2 is still going to release this year?

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
AKA: Robbo-92
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by Robbo-92 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:17 pm

Hasn’t the SE2 been rumoured for year after year now? I imagine it will happen eventually though.

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
RichardUK
Member
Joined in 2015
Location: Nottinghamshire & Bavaria
Contact:

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by RichardUK » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:44 pm

Thank you for the replies, I have turned the phone on and off twice and today it did exactly the same thing, I didn’t use the phone and yet the battery had gone down throughout the day, I do use the fast charger but it’s not like the battery has has slowly got worse it’s gone from being fantastic to this in a day, I have tried to think what had changed and the only major difference was that this month I didn’t top up and continue my data plan seeing as I can’t go anywhere but I left the mobile data on, I wonder if because of this the phone kept trying to connect to 4g (even though the Wi-fi is never off) and that’s what has been draining the battery?

I have topped up again just now so it’s exactly how it was before, I will charge it tonight and then tomorrow can be the test, todays results mirror yesterday’s

Image

Image
Image
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'
User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by Errkal » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:05 am

Check the apps that are using the battery.

Safari is the too of the list there. Try not to leave websites open then might be causing additional load, stuff like Twitter, reddit, Ebay Facebook etc. can be a douche for hogging cpu.

For Instagram your number 2 app, try tuning off video autopsy as that could cause extra load.

It could just be some app updates have happens and the new updates are gooseberry fool.

Besides it still looks like over the whole day you dropping what 50% so who cares if it's going down you arent running to 0 so stop worrying about stuff that doesnt matter.

User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by rinks » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:13 pm

Errkal wrote:For Instagram your number 2 app, try tuning off video autopsy as that could cause extra load.

I’m surprised that feature is on by default. There can’t be that many people who need to use it.

User avatar
RichardUK
Member
Joined in 2015
Location: Nottinghamshire & Bavaria
Contact:

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by RichardUK » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:00 pm

It seems it was the mobile data being on but no mobile data available or it’s just fixed itself, its been off charge since around 5am and has only lost 6% :toot:

Image

Image
Image
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'
User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by Errkal » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:22 pm

RichardUK wrote:It seems it was the mobile data being on but no mobile data available or it’s just fixed itself, its been off charge since around 5am and has only lost 6% :toot:

Image


No signal will do that, the phone will ramp itself up to find signal and kill it self to do it. Dover is a place I’ve found that really bad for it, whenever I go there my phone whatever I have last half the time.

User avatar
Venom
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: London
Contact:

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by Venom » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:48 pm

RichardUK wrote:Thank you for the replies, I have turned the phone on and off twice and today it did exactly the same thing, I didn’t use the phone and yet the battery had gone down throughout the day



When you turn your iPhone on bluetooth is enabled by default which is a huge power drain. Is bluetooth on on your phone?

ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
RichardUK
Member
Joined in 2015
Location: Nottinghamshire & Bavaria
Contact:

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by RichardUK » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:54 am

Venom wrote:When you turn your iPhone on bluetooth is enabled by default which is a huge power drain. Is bluetooth on on your phone?


Yes I have Bluetooth on all the time mainly because I have an Apple Watch, the battery problem is fixed now because it’s been around 50 hours now since the last charge and it’s on 55%, it was the data thing that was draining the battery although I have not read that on any website that helps with a fast draining battery

Image
Image
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: <]:^D, Christopher, Errkal, Finish.Last, Google [Bot], Johnny Jalfrezi, Monkey Man, Skarjo, Trelliz and 150 guests