Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by Errkal » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:29 am

The articles says people are holding onto phones for up to 3 years which isn't really a suprise as the likes of o2 and Tesco offer 36 month contracts now as they "look" cheaper than EE and co as the monthly is slightly less.

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:33 am

I am not in a contract but see nothing to make me want to upgrade at the moment. My phone will be 3 years old later this year so I might get another one then if I have any money and/or if the new models are tempting.

Image
NickSCFC

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by NickSCFC » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:43 am

I think we've just got to the point where upgrading a phone isn't exciting anymore as the industry finds it harder to innovate.

You wouldn't upgrade your TV, laptop, games console or fridge/freezer every year, so why should your phone be any different?

User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by Errkal » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:45 am

NickSCFC wrote:I think we've just got to the point where upgrading a phone isn't exciting anymore as the industry finds it harder to innovate.

You wouldn't upgrade your TV, laptop, games console or fridge/freezer every year, so why should your phone be any different?


Yeah there just isn't the need like there was when new stuff was coming each year. There was a point when I got excited about phone announcements as they had clever new cameras, or screens or whatever but now its the same thing and the only change is an even bigger price.

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:48 am

Christmas CrackErrkal wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:I think we've just got to the point where upgrading a phone isn't exciting anymore as the industry finds it harder to innovate.

You wouldn't upgrade your TV, laptop, games console or fridge/freezer every year, so why should your phone be any different?


Yeah there just isn't the need like there was when new stuff was coming each year. There was a point when I got excited about phone announcements as they had clever new cameras, or screens or whatever but now its the same thing and the only change is an even bigger price.


But this new one has 40% more processing power*! Just imagine how quickly your Facebook feed will run on that!

*and 30% less battery

Image
NickSCFC

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by NickSCFC » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:48 am

The only thing that would get me to upgrade from my Galaxy S8 any time soon would be a handset that would double as a Virtual Reality headset.

And I don't mean some crap like Gear VR, I mean being able to hook it up to my PS4 or PC in a similar way that PSVR or HTC Vive does.

User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by Mafro » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:56 am

Still feels like the last genuinely huge thing in phones was the iPhone 4 and that was 9 years ago.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Rob-ho ho-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by Rob-ho ho-92 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:30 pm

One of the big things is that they’ve hit their pricing ceiling for what people are willing to pay to upgrade every year or other year. Only reason I’m looking to buy an iPhone this year is because I’m still running a Windows phone that is frankly a dying platform (unless things change in the future) and a couple of apps I need for work aren’t supported on my phone, meaning I’ll have to go iOS or Android, and I’m already used to iOS having used iPads for a while so it kind of makes sense to me.

Image

Image
User avatar
GrinWithoutaKat
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by GrinWithoutaKat » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:40 am

Before buying the XS Max this year, I had my iphone 5 for 6 years. Never really felt like I was missing out. Once you do upgrade, it would be very hard to go back, but I can see myself having this one for a similar length of time.

Image
User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by Errkal » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:41 am

Apple to put iTunes on Samsung TVs

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/6/18170 ... -airplay-2

User avatar
Rob-ho ho-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by Rob-ho ho-92 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:22 pm

Finally caved (as I need to book holidays at work via an app) and ordered my iPhone XR, in blue and standard storage. Hopefully this will last me at least 3 years, hopefully more like 5. It’ll be nice not having to charge my phone twice a day anyway :lol:

Image

Image
User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by Dowbocop » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:01 pm

My wife recently bought a new iPad to replace her old one, and it's doing something weird. She has the iPad in a case and almost always has a wired hands-free kit in the headphone jack. Every time she closes the case it starts playing music we've bought from the iTunes store of its own accord (I think through Apple Music).

Have fiddled around in settings but don't seem to be able to stop it. Thoughts?

User avatar
Floex
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by Floex » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:35 pm

What’s the name of the handfree kit? I’m assuming once you take it out, it stops?

User avatar
RichardUK
Member
Joined in 2015
Location: Nottinghamshire & Bavaria
Contact:

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by RichardUK » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:43 pm

I use AirPods and when you double tap them it starts playing your music shuffled, does the handsfree kit have like a start/play button or something?

Image
Image
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by Mafro » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:33 pm

What's the case and what hands free kit is she using?

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
massimo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by massimo » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:08 pm

Excuse my ignorance, but what does a wired hands free kit for an iPad?

Regardless, yeah it sounds like something is hitting play/pause. And the default behaviour is to play music from the Music app.

User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by Errkal » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:12 pm

Had my iPad for a few weeks now, I’m really liking it.

Never been an apple fan but iOS really is very solid it feel compared to Android. It is annoying that so many apps are just the phone version zoomed in but otherwise it’s brilliant.

Could certainly see myself getting a iPhone in May when I upgrade.

User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by Dowbocop » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:14 pm

By hands-free kit I just mean a pair of headphones with an inline mic. It does have an answer/play/pause button iirc, and while she doesn't wrap the cable particularly tightly it could still be the issue. I've got a pair of plain headphones with me so I'll swap with her and see if that resolves it (she doesn't need the mic functionality).

I've got family round so can't check the case easily but I think it's Belkin.

User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by Mafro » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:25 pm

Errkal wrote:Had my iPad for a few weeks now, I’m really liking it.

Never been an apple fan but iOS really is very solid it feel compared to Android. It is annoying that so many apps are just the phone version zoomed in but otherwise it’s brilliant.

Could certainly see myself getting a iPhone in May when I upgrade.

Which apps are you using that look like that?

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings

PostRe: Apple Thread II | iOS 12 Out Now
by Errkal » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:35 pm

Mafro wrote:
Errkal wrote:Had my iPad for a few weeks now, I’m really liking it.

Never been an apple fan but iOS really is very solid it feel compared to Android. It is annoying that so many apps are just the phone version zoomed in but otherwise it’s brilliant.

Could certainly see myself getting a iPhone in May when I upgrade.

Which apps are you using that look like that?


PayPal, instagram, Untappd, Tesco bank, British Gas.


Return to “Stuff”