Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Apple Thread II | WWDC 2019
by Mafro » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:17 pm

Robbo-92 wrote:Anyone tempted by the AirPods Pro? Wasn’t really tempted by them in the past but now they look like they’ll actually stay in when active I’m half interested in them, just not sure if they’ll be worth £250!

Ordered a pair. Interested in seeing how good the noice cancellation is compared to my Bose.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Rob-ho ho-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Apple Thread II | WWDC 2019
by Rob-ho ho-92 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:25 pm

Mafro wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:Anyone tempted by the AirPods Pro? Wasn’t really tempted by them in the past but now they look like they’ll actually stay in when active I’m half interested in them, just not sure if they’ll be worth £250!

Ordered a pair. Interested in seeing how good the noice cancellation is compared to my Bose.


Be intrigued to hear how you find them.

Image

Image
User avatar
Venom's Christmas Carol
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: London
Contact:

PostRe: Apple Thread II | WWDC 2019
by Venom's Christmas Carol » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:27 pm

Robbo-92 wrote:
Mafro wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:Anyone tempted by the AirPods Pro? Wasn’t really tempted by them in the past but now they look like they’ll actually stay in when active I’m half interested in them, just not sure if they’ll be worth £250!

Ordered a pair. Interested in seeing how good the noice cancellation is compared to my Bose.


Be intrigued to hear how you find them.


I definitely would like to know too whether effective noise cancelling can be done with such small earbuds.
Details look great https://www.apple.com/uk/airpods-pro/
If it's everything Apple promise I will get a black set when they're released.

User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by rinks » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:01 am

It’s starting to feel like the Pro designation really means “what we should have released in the first place”.

User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by ITSMILNER » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:05 pm

Questions regarding Apple TV, i am looking at picking one up shortly (Likely the 32gb HD 4th gen model) as we are getting rid of Sky and just using streaming services like Netflix, NOW tv + Plus content we buy from Apple. Are they likely to be discounted during Black Friday or do Apple products generally not get discounts?

Also, are you able to have multiple Apple ID accounts on one Apple TV device? We have 2 accounts in the household with different content on them so we would like to be able to access all the account on the one device.

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: 40 light-years outside of the buttermilk nebula

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by Jenu-All I Want For Christmas » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:42 pm

Wife is due a phone upgrade next month and I'm trying to work out the best option for her. She's a fan of the iPhone having been using it for a good few generations now so we will definitely be sticking with Apple but there seem to be way more models out there than back in the day!

Looking online I seem to have all of the following available:

* iPhone 8
* iPhone XR
* iPhone XS
* iPhone 11
* iPhone 11 Pro
* iPhone 11 Pro Max

:dread: :dread: :dread:

Gone are the days of just a one up new version each year I guess! :fp:

She's on an iPhone 7 at the moment so the simple choice is to simply go with the 8, but how long in the tooth will that be in 1-2 years time? She's not mega fussed on speed/power so I think the 11 can probably be eliminated from things but I don't want it to be struggling by the end of the contract period either...

Anyone got some useful advice on this? What is the actual difference between the 8, XR and XS?

Image
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by Mafro » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:11 pm

Jenuall wrote:Wife is due a phone upgrade next month and I'm trying to work out the best option for her. She's a fan of the iPhone having been using it for a good few generations now so we will definitely be sticking with Apple but there seem to be way more models out there than back in the day!

Looking online I seem to have all of the following available:

* iPhone 8
* iPhone XR
* iPhone XS
* iPhone 11
* iPhone 11 Pro
* iPhone 11 Pro Max

:dread: :dread: :dread:

Gone are the days of just a one up new version each year I guess! :fp:

She's on an iPhone 7 at the moment so the simple choice is to simply go with the 8, but how long in the tooth will that be in 1-2 years time? She's not mega fussed on speed/power so I think the 11 can probably be eliminated from things but I don't want it to be struggling by the end of the contract period either...

Anyone got some useful advice on this? What is the actual difference between the 8, XR and XS?


I wouldn't bother with the 8, Apple have moved on from the home button design.

The XR and XS were released last year. The XR was the cheaper version of the XS with an LCD screen rather than OLED and no 3D Touch. The XS was the incremental upgrade of the previous year's X.

If she's not arsed about speed or power then I'd probably recommend looking for an iPhone X. It came out the same time as the 8 but it's the newer design with no home button. It's slightly bigger than the 8 but the screen size is a lot bigger due to the lack of big bezels at the top and bottom, I think it's actually a bigger screen than the 8 Plus. The only problem is that Apple discontinued the X last year so you'd probably have to look for a second hand or refurbished one.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
christmasforever
Member
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by christmasforever » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:02 pm

Love the look of the airpods pro and my current 1st gen ones just cannot be used at the gym because they keep falling out. I may pick these up if I can find a better deal, because £250 is a lot!

User avatar
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: 40 light-years outside of the buttermilk nebula

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by Jenu-All I Want For Christmas » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:06 pm

Mafro wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Wife is due a phone upgrade next month and I'm trying to work out the best option for her. She's a fan of the iPhone having been using it for a good few generations now so we will definitely be sticking with Apple but there seem to be way more models out there than back in the day!

Looking online I seem to have all of the following available:

* iPhone 8
* iPhone XR
* iPhone XS
* iPhone 11
* iPhone 11 Pro
* iPhone 11 Pro Max

:dread: :dread: :dread:

Gone are the days of just a one up new version each year I guess! :fp:

She's on an iPhone 7 at the moment so the simple choice is to simply go with the 8, but how long in the tooth will that be in 1-2 years time? She's not mega fussed on speed/power so I think the 11 can probably be eliminated from things but I don't want it to be struggling by the end of the contract period either...

Anyone got some useful advice on this? What is the actual difference between the 8, XR and XS?


I wouldn't bother with the 8, Apple have moved on from the home button design.

The XR and XS were released last year. The XR was the cheaper version of the XS with an LCD screen rather than OLED and no 3D Touch. The XS was the incremental upgrade of the previous year's X.

If she's not arsed about speed or power then I'd probably recommend looking for an iPhone X. It came out the same time as the 8 but it's the newer design with no home button. It's slightly bigger than the 8 but the screen size is a lot bigger due to the lack of big bezels at the top and bottom, I think it's actually a bigger screen than the 8 Plus. The only problem is that Apple discontinued the X last year so you'd probably have to look for a second hand or refurbished one.

Thanks for the info - might look into the XR, she really wouldn't care about LCD vs OLED or 3D touch.

Image
User avatar
Rob-ho ho-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by Rob-ho ho-92 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:58 pm

I’d probably go for the XR unless she wants a better camera that the 11’s have as the XR has only got a single camera whereas the 11’s have two or three depending it it’s a Pro or not.

XR is fantastic for my use though, good enough camera, lovely screen and most importantly superb battery life! I don’t use my phone an awful amount compared to a lot of people these days but I’m normally getting 4 days out of it. For example my last charge was Friday evening, now I’m currently sat on 12%. It’s also only using the A12 chip whereas the 11 variants are on the A13 so update wise it should be around for a good few years yet, well I hope so anyway!

Image

Image
User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:00 pm

Ordered!!!
I was late with getting AirPods and only had mine for about two years but I've loved using them so much that it seems these new one is so worth it!
If they are anything like the original it may be worth getting an extra pair to sell on eBay come Christmas when they would have sold out at Apple stores

User avatar
massimo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by massimo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:04 pm

ITSMILNER wrote:Also, are you able to have multiple Apple ID accounts on one Apple TV device? We have 2 accounts in the household with different content on them so we would like to be able to access all the account on the one device.

Yeah you can log in with multiple accounts now.

User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by ITSMILNER » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:43 am

massimo wrote:
ITSMILNER wrote:Also, are you able to have multiple Apple ID accounts on one Apple TV device? We have 2 accounts in the household with different content on them so we would like to be able to access all the account on the one device.

Yeah you can log in with multiple accounts now.


Excellent, are they likely to drop in price over Black Friday/Xmas or is that not really a thing with Apple products?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long Live Switch Squad!
User avatar
massimo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by massimo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:26 am

ITSMILNER wrote:
massimo wrote:
ITSMILNER wrote:Also, are you able to have multiple Apple ID accounts on one Apple TV device? We have 2 accounts in the household with different content on them so we would like to be able to access all the account on the one device.

Yeah you can log in with multiple accounts now.


Excellent, are they likely to drop in price over Black Friday/Xmas or is that not really a thing with Apple products?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be surprised if some retailers did discount at least the HD version. If you have, or plan on getting, a 4K TV, I would recommend the 4K version.

User avatar
Jenu-All I Want For Christmas
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: 40 light-years outside of the buttermilk nebula

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by Jenu-All I Want For Christmas » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:51 pm

Robbo-92 wrote:I’d probably go for the XR unless she wants a better camera that the 11’s have as the XR has only got a single camera whereas the 11’s have two or three depending it it’s a Pro or not.

XR is fantastic for my use though, good enough camera, lovely screen and most importantly superb battery life! I don’t use my phone an awful amount compared to a lot of people these days but I’m normally getting 4 days out of it. For example my last charge was Friday evening, now I’m currently sat on 12%. It’s also only using the A12 chip whereas the 11 variants are on the A13 so update wise it should be around for a good few years yet, well I hope so anyway!

XR sounds like the right fit, thanks for that Robbo!

Image
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Apple Thread II | WWDC 2019
by Mafro » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:39 pm

Robbo-92 wrote:
Mafro wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:Anyone tempted by the AirPods Pro? Wasn’t really tempted by them in the past but now they look like they’ll actually stay in when active I’m half interested in them, just not sure if they’ll be worth £250!

Ordered a pair. Interested in seeing how good the noice cancellation is compared to my Bose.


Be intrigued to hear how you find them.

Venom wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:
Mafro wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:Anyone tempted by the AirPods Pro? Wasn’t really tempted by them in the past but now they look like they’ll actually stay in when active I’m half interested in them, just not sure if they’ll be worth £250!

Ordered a pair. Interested in seeing how good the noice cancellation is compared to my Bose.


Be intrigued to hear how you find them.


I definitely would like to know too whether effective noise cancelling can be done with such small earbuds.
Details look great https://www.apple.com/uk/airpods-pro/
If it's everything Apple promise I will get a black set when they're released.

I'm really impressed with them so far. Didn't get the chance to properly test them out until today with my commute into college, the bus I get always ends up being a shitty, loud single-decker packed with people and the noise cancellation works really well drowning most of it out. There's a lot of loud banana splits in my class and the noice cancellation makes the room completely silent which is great! Couldn't hear a word of what the person sitting next to me was saying but I could see his mouth moving :slol: It was actually pretty weird walking around town not being able to hear anything like traffic or people talking, it reminds me of when there's been heavy snow and everywhere is just silent. Really surprised how good they work given the size, they're about 25% shorter than the normal AirPods so they look less "daft" (if the look of them bothers you). The Transparency feature is impressive too, it turns off the noise cancelling and uses the exterior mics to let you hear noise as well as the music which is handy if you want to hear what's going on around you since you can hear better with that feature on rather than with it and the noise cancelling off since the buds are in-ear.

They fit in my ear better than other in-ear headphones I've used e.g. with the BeatsX I had to change the size of the silicone buds and use the little hook things it came with to keep them from falling out. These Pros fit great and there's an in-built thing that plays a short tune and uses the interior mics to determine which fit of the silicone buds are best for your ear (it comes with three different sizes). You don't get the weird pressure feeling like with other in-ear headphones either because there's a valve thing built in to equalise it.

Haven't tested the call quality with them but apparently it's just the same as the Airpods 2. Noise cancelling doesn't seem as good as my Bose QuietComforts but I wasn't really expecting them to be since they're basically best-in-class and over-the-ear.

Bit of a ramble but basically:

Sound quality - good
Noise cancelling - very, very good

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Rob-ho ho-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by Rob-ho ho-92 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:10 am

Well now I’m really tempted by a pair! Thanks for your thoughts Mafro, they sound rather good! :)

Image

Image
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:39 am

For anybody that’s recently bought an Apple product, check out AppleTV, I had a years free trial available as I’ve recently bought an iPhone.

Image
User avatar
Jerusalime
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Lime

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by Jerusalime » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:10 pm

Moggy wrote:For anybody that’s recently bought an Apple product, check out AppleTV, I had a years free trial available as I’ve recently bought an iPhone.


This just came up as an offer on my iPad. Being an oldie, I have no idea what it is. Is it like Netflix/Prime video?

Do I need any additional hardware to use it? Does it work on my smart TV?

I could google but I'd love a concise outline that doesn't assume I am up to date with what's current!

The above post is followed by a winky, smiley or facepalm as appropriate.
3ds - 0946-2364-6907
Wii U - Monkeylime

WorkerScore: 1
Tasks To Next rank : 9
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Apple Thread II | AirPods Pros Announced
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:15 pm

Lime wrote:
Moggy wrote:For anybody that’s recently bought an Apple product, check out AppleTV, I had a years free trial available as I’ve recently bought an iPhone.


This just came up as an offer on my iPad. Being an oldie, I have no idea what it is. Is it like Netflix/Prime video?

Do I need any additional hardware to use it? Does it work on my smart TV?

I could google but I'd love a concise outline that doesn't assume I am up to date with what's current!


Yeah it’s basically Apple’s version of Netflix. I think there are apps to use it on other devices, but I’ve only found the phone one. Still it’s free so I signed up.

Just remember to cancel in a years time!

Image

Return to “Stuff”