Argos stops printing The Bible

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Argos stops printing The Bible
by Tomous » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:00 am

I don't think you get the child mate, this isn't Wayfair

Image
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Argos stops printing The Bible
by Corazon de Leon » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:03 am

Tomous wrote:I don't think you get the child mate, this isn't Wayfair


:dread: :lol:

Image
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Argos stops printing The Bible
by KK » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:06 am

Anyone have any recollection of this?

Image

Image
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Argos stops printing The Bible
by Victor Mildew » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:11 am

Employers now - Why arent there more women interested in engineering jobs?!

Girl's toys then:

KK wrote:Image



Better get training your girl for her life in the kitchen!

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
OnlyShallow
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Milton Keynes

PostRe: Argos stops printing The Bible
by OnlyShallow » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:16 am

Argos isn't Argos anymore. I should know, I work for them. We have been eaten by Sainsbury's, who have stripped it down, taken the parts they wanted and shat out the rest.

This would have been my last week of work if it hadn't been for the Coronavirus. 2/3 of my team were made redundant on the last week before lock down. Surprised it has taken this long for them to stop printing it to be honest, they have been trying to do it for the last few years.

Image
Many Lives -> 49 MP wrote:People like you OnlyShallow are terrible banana splits. I hate you forever.
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Argos stops printing The Bible
by Victor Mildew » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:20 am

The excitement of going to Argos on my birthday, my parents ordering and then seeing this rolling down the conveyor belt:
Image

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Argos stops printing The Bible
by KK » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:22 am

2002:

Image
Image
Image

How the Gamecube flopped I'll never know.

Image
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Argos stops printing The Bible
by Knoyleo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:23 am

Rex Kramer wrote:Christmas is now ruined for every child from this day forward :cry:

Argos said it would continue to produce its Christmas Gift Guide, which will still be available in all stores this year.

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Argos stops printing The Bible
by Tomous » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:25 am

Victor Mildew wrote:The excitement of going to Argos on my birthday, my parents ordering and then seeing this rolling down the conveyor belt:
Image



Must have been a great 30th for you :toot:

Image
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Argos stops printing The Bible
by Tomous » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:26 am

OnlyShallow wrote:Argos isn't Argos anymore. I should know, I work for them. We have been eaten by Sainsbury's, who have stripped it down, taken the parts they wanted and shat out the rest.

This would have been my last week of work if it hadn't been for the Coronavirus. 2/3 of my team were made redundant on the last week before lock down. Surprised it has taken this long for them to stop printing it to be honest, they have been trying to do it for the last few years.



That's a shame. I always thought Argos did extremely well to adapt to the changing retail world over the last 20 years and were a very reliable place to buy from.

Image
User avatar
aayl1
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Argos stops printing The Bible
by aayl1 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:28 am

Victor Mildew wrote:£19.99 for new PlayStations games, those were the days


£12.99 for a new Nintendo controller is what caught my eye there. Bit less than the £70 they're after these days.

Switch Code - 2446-6608-4888
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Argos stops printing The Bible
by Victor Mildew » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:30 am

Tomous wrote:
Victor Mildew wrote:The excitement of going to Argos on my birthday, my parents ordering and then seeing this rolling down the conveyor belt:
Image



Must have been a great 30th for you :toot:


I was 28 years old

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Argos stops printing The Bible
by Tomous » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:31 am

Well, egg on my face.

Apologies.

Image
User avatar
Hypes
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: Argos stops printing The Bible
by Hypes » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:31 am

aayl1 wrote:
Victor Mildew wrote:£19.99 for new PlayStations games, those were the days


£12.99 for a new Nintendo controller is what caught my eye there. Bit less than the £70 they're after these days.

3rd party though :dread:

Image
User avatar
aayl1
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Argos stops printing The Bible
by aayl1 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:34 am

Hypes wrote:
aayl1 wrote:
Victor Mildew wrote:£19.99 for new PlayStations games, those were the days


£12.99 for a new Nintendo controller is what caught my eye there. Bit less than the £70 they're after these days.

3rd party though :dread:


Ooooh couldn't tell with the tiny image. I retract my statement.

3rd party N64 controllers :dread:

Image

:dread:

Switch Code - 2446-6608-4888
User avatar
OnlyShallow
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Milton Keynes

PostRe: Argos stops printing The Bible
by OnlyShallow » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:42 am

Tomous wrote:
OnlyShallow wrote:Argos isn't Argos anymore. I should know, I work for them. We have been eaten by Sainsbury's, who have stripped it down, taken the parts they wanted and shat out the rest.

This would have been my last week of work if it hadn't been for the Coronavirus. 2/3 of my team were made redundant on the last week before lock down. Surprised it has taken this long for them to stop printing it to be honest, they have been trying to do it for the last few years.



That's a shame. I always thought Argos did extremely well to adapt to the changing retail world over the last 20 years and were a very reliable place to buy from.

They are, which is why Sainsbury's bought them. Argos had invested heavily in creating their own digital platform and an advanced distribution hub network so that they could compete with Amazon. Sainsbury's had the option of developing their own or buying a company who had done all the hard work.

Since the take over all "synergies" have been removed. Everyone on an Argos contract is being moved over to Sainsbury's T&Cs or made redundant. I'm part of a hand over team, handing over my job to a Sainsbury's team in Manchester. We were supposed to finish this week, but due to the virus we have been given a stay of execution to November. Argos HQ in Milton Keynes used to employ over 3000 people, lucky if there are 300 there now. I can't see it reopening after Covid TBH. Argos own the building, there have been hotels and new apartment blocks built on the land right next to it...

Image
Many Lives -> 49 MP wrote:People like you OnlyShallow are terrible banana splits. I hate you forever.
User avatar
Victor Mildew
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Argos stops printing The Bible
by Victor Mildew » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:45 am

That's pretty shitty.

Hexx wrote:Ad7 is older and balder than I thought.
User avatar
OnlyShallow
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Milton Keynes

PostRe: Argos stops printing The Bible
by OnlyShallow » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:51 am

Yeah, it used to be a good company to work for. There was a real feeling that you cared about the customer, that you worked for each other. People enjoyed working for Argos.

Sainsbury's don't give a gooseberry fool.

Image
Many Lives -> 49 MP wrote:People like you OnlyShallow are terrible banana splits. I hate you forever.
User avatar
Somebody Else's Problem
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Argos stops printing The Bible
by Somebody Else's Problem » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:54 am

The Argos catalogue has been a fun snapshot in time for years. It's great looking back at old catalogues and seeing what was new then, what the fashions, styles and trends were, and how they've changed over the years.

Image
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Argos stops printing The Bible
by Ironhide » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:40 am

Corazon de Leon wrote:Christ. That was the time to get a collection going on the Dreamcast.


The amount of games I bought in the early 2000's was just staggering, at those kind of prices it'd have been rude not to.

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 293 guests