Brexit Thread 2

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

How would you vote if we had to vote again?

Leave
12
7%
Remain
159
93%
 
Total votes: 171
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Photek » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:26 am

My guess is a tiny TINY change to the deal will be made and Boris will use that to confirm a victory for him and blunder through a deal with the EU.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Lex-Man » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:59 am

I guess it's possible but a climb down over the Irish backstop of the magnitude required seems insane.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Moggy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:07 am

Lex-Man wrote:I guess it's possible but a climb down over the Irish backstop of the magnitude required seems insane.


Johnson is perfectly capable of a turnaround of that magnitude, but I agree he’s backed himself into a corner here and so can’t really do it.

Our best hope is he sticks to his insane No Deal plan, Parliament turns on him and he then calls a referendum/gets turfed out of office.

User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Lex-Man » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:18 am

Moggy wrote:
Lex-Man wrote:I guess it's possible but a climb down over the Irish backstop of the magnitude required seems insane.


Johnson is perfectly capable of a turnaround of that magnitude, but I agree he’s backed himself into a corner here and so can’t really do it.

Our best hope is he sticks to his insane No Deal plan, Parliament turns on him and he then calls a referendum/gets turfed out of office.


Yeah, I think Boris could try that kind of turn, I just can't see the hard Brexiteers following him. Or at least have a hard time doing so.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Moggy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:55 pm



:fp:

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by KK » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:00 pm


Image
User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by captain red dog » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:07 pm

Given the time left, it's either extension, no deal or May deal. I don't see how he can reheat the May deal as it was so roundly rejected. No deal I can't see getting through parliament and it would be career suicide for him to porogue parliament for no deal. The impending disaster would be solely on him and Boris won't take a risk on that. I notice he has gone quiet in the last week or so regarding the October 31st deadline so I think it's going to be another extension.

He can swing the extension, he can blame parliament and say he needs time to negotiate from scratch.

User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Lex-Man » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:24 pm

captain red dog wrote:Given the time left, it's either extension, no deal or May deal. I don't see how he can reheat the May deal as it was so roundly rejected. No deal I can't see getting through parliament and it would be career suicide for him to porogue parliament for no deal. The impending disaster would be solely on him and Boris won't take a risk on that. I notice he has gone quiet in the last week or so regarding the October 31st deadline so I think it's going to be another extension.

He can swing the extension, he can blame parliament and say he needs time to negotiate from scratch.


But the EU won't restart the negotiation so that won't work.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Stool Bloke

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Dual » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:30 pm

"We got to the moon so we can get out of Europe."

This is what Brexiteers actually believe.

User avatar
Blue Eyes
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Blue Eyes » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:37 pm

Dual wrote:"We got to the moon so we can get out of Europe."

This is what Brexiteers actually believe.

I'd sooner think Brexiters are a bunch of moon-landing truthers tbf.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Moggy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:25 pm

captain red dog wrote:Given the time left, it's either extension, no deal or May deal.


Revoke is also an option. And more likely than May’s Deal imo. That doesn’t mean I think it’s very likely, just more likely than May’s Deal.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Moggy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:27 pm

Blue Eyes wrote:
Dual wrote:"We got to the moon so we can get out of Europe."

This is what Brexiteers actually believe.

I'd sooner think Brexiters are a bunch of moon-landing truthers tbf.


“WE WON WW2!!” - no you didn’t, your parents/grandparents did with the help of America, Russia and many other countries.

“WE LANDED ON THE MOON!” - no you didn’t, America did.

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Squinty » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:35 pm

Dual wrote:"We got to the moon so we can get out of Europe."

This is what Brexiteers actually believe.


Just gotta believe that the shuttle's trajectory is correct, and that there's enough fuel to get to the moon. Just gotta believe Dual.

User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Brexit Thread 2
by Garth » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:39 am

LEAVE MEANS LEAVE: t:brexit-thread-3?f=7


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albear, Errkal, Finish.Last, Frank, Google [Bot], kerr9000, massimo, Minty14, more heat than light, PuppetBoy, Snowcannon, suzzopher and 64 guests