Brexit Thread 3

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

GRpredicts: Will Brexit be delayed again?

Yes
42
67%
No
21
33%
 
Total votes: 63
User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostBrexit Thread 3
by Garth » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:37 am

Days to Brexit: http://daystobrexit.co.uk/

Image

Previous thread: t:brexit-thread-2?f=7

User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3
by Garth » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:41 am

Image
Image

User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3
by Garth » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:42 am


User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3
by Photek » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:16 am

It’s not nearly enough to offset a no deal Brexit but at least it’s something.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3
by Rex Kramer » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:26 am

Garth wrote:Image
Image

Neither of these two things will happen.

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3
by Squinty » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:31 am

I don't see a no confidence vote passing. I think it's more likely for an election to called just out of necessity.

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3
by Lagamorph » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:40 am

The Tories have a majority of between 0 and 3 even with the DUP, and there are 6 Tories threatening to defect to the Lib Dems when Johnson takes over. They may not be able to avoid a General Election pretty sharpish

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3
by Rex Kramer » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:54 am

Which would be a mistake. With Johnson in charge and Corbyn as the opposition then the Tories would come out of it with a majority and maybe use the opportunity to move on some of their more remainer MPs (maybe by sending them out to die in different constituencies). It will take time for Johnson's incompetence to shine through, in the early days he can ride a wave of 'give the new guy a chance'.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3
by Moggy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:06 am

Rex Kramer wrote:Which would be a mistake. With Johnson in charge and Corbyn as the opposition then the Tories would come out of it with a majority and maybe use the opportunity to move on some of their more remainer MPs (maybe by sending them out to die in different constituencies). It will take time for Johnson's incompetence to shine through, in the early days he can ride a wave of 'give the new guy a chance'.


Part of me thinks that and part of me remembers when Theresa May called a snap election thinking she'd get a majority....

Johnson is hard to read on things like this. He only cares about himself and so will want to protect his position, but he is also an egomaniac that probably thinks he'd win easily and gain a massive majority.

If a number of Tories defect to the Lib Dems, then I think he'll have no choice but to call an election. But I am not convinced many (if any) Tories will actually defect.

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3
by Drumstick » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:09 am

Funniest thing would be if, after all this talk of what Boris may or may not do, is if Hunt wins the vote.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3
by Moggy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:17 am

Drumstick wrote:Funniest thing would be if, after all this talk of what Boris may or may not do, is if Hunt wins the vote.


As much as I hate Johnson, in a weird way I think Hunt would be worse for us. He's more competent than Johnson so there would be less chance of a complete governmental collapse. And Hunt is less likely to flipflop on his position, he'd see what happened with May and think he has to go through with the No Deal. With Johnson there is always a decent chance he'll suddenly decide that a referendum/revocation is the best way.

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3
by Hexx » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:45 am

Lithuanian European commissioner accuses Boris Johnson of 'unrealistic promises' and ignoring economic reality

In an extraordinary blog Vytenis Andriukaitis, the European commissioner for health and food safety, who is from Lithuania, suggests that Boris Johnson and his fellow Brexiters are just as dishonest as Boris Yeltsin and other politicians were in post-Soviet Russia. Here’s an excerpt.

Almost ironically, without comparing the UK itself with the USSR because it is not comparable, I can’t think of a better golden standard than the USSR in terms of fact distortion, reality falsification and blunt oblivions of reality.

Then there were the heroes of the perestroika era swearing that they would create a market economy in post-Soviet Russia within 500 days! ‘500 Day Programme’ is history. Like the other the most unrealistic promises at the time, this never became a reality. People paid for these empty and broken promises with impoverishment, inequality and much more. The programme also left one infamous quote: ‘Boris, ti ne prav’ (‘Boris, you are wrong’)!

It is a different Boris, of course, but there was something in the way of doing politics that was similar: many unrealistic promises, ignoring economic rationales and rational decisions. These decisions led to a new autocratic constitution and finally paved the way to Vladimir Putin. Today in Russia we have oligarchs, a pseudo-market economy, a regulated, governed pseudo-democracy. And, Putin’s authoritarianism. For Boris Yeltsin, the warning came true: “Boris, you are wrong”. Hopefully, it will not be the case for Boris Johnson if he is elected today.

User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3
by Garth » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:03 pm


User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3
by Lex-Man » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:12 pm

Garth wrote:


That's more wiggle room than a full renegotiation though isn't it.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Errkal
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3
by Errkal » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:11 pm

We are so strawberry floated, and not in a good way.

User avatar
Captain Kinopio
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Herbi
Location: The Observatory

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3
by Captain Kinopio » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:22 pm

Moggy wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:Which would be a mistake. With Johnson in charge and Corbyn as the opposition then the Tories would come out of it with a majority and maybe use the opportunity to move on some of their more remainer MPs (maybe by sending them out to die in different constituencies). It will take time for Johnson's incompetence to shine through, in the early days he can ride a wave of 'give the new guy a chance'.


Part of me thinks that and part of me remembers when Theresa May called a snap election thinking she'd get a majority....


She would have if that hadn’t been one of the most incompetent campaigns in modern history. Cameron would have strawberry floating slaughtered Corbyn.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3
by Moggy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:38 pm

Captain Kinopio wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:Which would be a mistake. With Johnson in charge and Corbyn as the opposition then the Tories would come out of it with a majority and maybe use the opportunity to move on some of their more remainer MPs (maybe by sending them out to die in different constituencies). It will take time for Johnson's incompetence to shine through, in the early days he can ride a wave of 'give the new guy a chance'.


Part of me thinks that and part of me remembers when Theresa May called a snap election thinking she'd get a majority....


She would have if that hadn’t been one of the most incompetent campaigns in modern history. Cameron would have strawberry floating slaughtered Corbyn.


There was more to it than just an incompetent campaign but however you look at it I’d imagine Johnson has the potential to be far more incompetent than May.

User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3
by Lex-Man » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:08 pm

Moggy wrote:
Captain Kinopio wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:Which would be a mistake. With Johnson in charge and Corbyn as the opposition then the Tories would come out of it with a majority and maybe use the opportunity to move on some of their more remainer MPs (maybe by sending them out to die in different constituencies). It will take time for Johnson's incompetence to shine through, in the early days he can ride a wave of 'give the new guy a chance'.


Part of me thinks that and part of me remembers when Theresa May called a snap election thinking she'd get a majority....


She would have if that hadn’t been one of the most incompetent campaigns in modern history. Cameron would have strawberry floating slaughtered Corbyn.


There was more to it than just an incompetent campaign but however you look at it I’d imagine Johnson has the potential to be far more incompetent than May.


Labour player/ were handed a belter with the manifesto leak.
The Tories literally releasing the worst manifesto in history.
May refusing to turn up to debates.
May being unable to do anything that even seemed remotely human.

That pretty much sums it up for me.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3
by Moggy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:11 pm

Lex-Man wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Captain Kinopio wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:Which would be a mistake. With Johnson in charge and Corbyn as the opposition then the Tories would come out of it with a majority and maybe use the opportunity to move on some of their more remainer MPs (maybe by sending them out to die in different constituencies). It will take time for Johnson's incompetence to shine through, in the early days he can ride a wave of 'give the new guy a chance'.


Part of me thinks that and part of me remembers when Theresa May called a snap election thinking she'd get a majority....


She would have if that hadn’t been one of the most incompetent campaigns in modern history. Cameron would have strawberry floating slaughtered Corbyn.


There was more to it than just an incompetent campaign but however you look at it I’d imagine Johnson has the potential to be far more incompetent than May.


Labour player/ were handed a belter with the manifesto leak.
The Tories literally releasing the worst manifesto in history.
May refusing to turn up to debates.
May being unable to do anything that even seemed remotely human.

That pretty much sums it up for me.


Plus

7 years of austerity
Overconfidence by May/Tories
Growing Remainer anger over Brexit
Corbyn leading a decent campaign

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3
by Squinty » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:24 pm

Have to say, that Britain Trump video has really gotten under my skin. Especially the bit where Trump calls out Farage in the audience and says he's going to be great working with Johnson.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/donald-trump-hints-nigel-farage-18689387

So....this begs the question. Does Trump know something we don't, or does he just not have a clue about British politics? And why is Farage in America?


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: <]:^D, Albear, Cuttooth, Denster, Dowbocop, Errkal, Monkey Man, Oblomov Boblomov, PaperMacheMario, Tineash, Trelliz and 44 guests