Brexit Thread 3 - Project Reality

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3 - Project Reality
by Ironhide » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:32 pm

Tiny Timous wrote:I strawberry floating hate the Tories.

Making everyone's lives that much worse just to squeeze a few more quid out of us. Utter scum.


This.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3 - Project Reality
by Moggy » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:32 pm


Image
User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3 - Project Reality
by Lex-Man » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:41 pm

Winckle wrote:
Lex-Man wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Karl_ wrote:
Winckle wrote:
Karl_ wrote:Really looking forward to slashing all the red tape that's holding us back, like, let's see, uh, the ban on chemicals "linked to health problems including cancer, thyroid disease, hormone disruption and slow development"

Yeah but you can just move to the richer areas where that doesn't happen, and buy more expensive food and cleaning products that mean that won't happen. Let the free market decide.

Yes, it will absolutely be framed as "stupid" and "your own fault" if you get sick from weird chemicals in value range or fast food. Just go to Waitrose :simper: :simper: :simper:


If you care about your food, why don't you grow your own on your land? :simper:


The thing is I doubt rich people buy they're own cleaning products so I guessing their houses will be cleaned with the same gooseberry fool as everybody else. They're going to suffer from the same problems as the poor if we get rid of chemical and food standards.

I use to work in hospitality for high end businesses, like arranging parties for investment bankers and the like, and we just bought the cheapest stuff we could get a lot of the time. It's not like their going to check where we're sourcing our food from.

You mean you worked in the European Union with its high standards for such products?


Yeah sure but if the standard are dropped most restaurants and other caterers are going to start buying the lowest quality food that their customers will accept. Just because your eating at the Savoy or Ivy doesn't mean they're above buying chlorine washed chicken just because it's expensive to eat there.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3 - Project Reality
by Ironhide » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:05 pm

Lex-Man wrote:
Winckle wrote:
Lex-Man wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Karl_ wrote:
Winckle wrote:
Karl_ wrote:Really looking forward to slashing all the red tape that's holding us back, like, let's see, uh, the ban on chemicals "linked to health problems including cancer, thyroid disease, hormone disruption and slow development"

Yeah but you can just move to the richer areas where that doesn't happen, and buy more expensive food and cleaning products that mean that won't happen. Let the free market decide.

Yes, it will absolutely be framed as "stupid" and "your own fault" if you get sick from weird chemicals in value range or fast food. Just go to Waitrose :simper: :simper: :simper:


If you care about your food, why don't you grow your own on your land? :simper:


The thing is I doubt rich people buy they're own cleaning products so I guessing their houses will be cleaned with the same gooseberry fool as everybody else. They're going to suffer from the same problems as the poor if we get rid of chemical and food standards.

I use to work in hospitality for high end businesses, like arranging parties for investment bankers and the like, and we just bought the cheapest stuff we could get a lot of the time. It's not like their going to check where we're sourcing our food from.

You mean you worked in the European Union with its high standards for such products?


Yeah sure but if the standard are dropped most restaurants and other caterers are going to start buying the lowest quality food that their customers will accept. Just because your eating at the Savoy or Ivy doesn't mean they're above buying chlorine washed chicken just because it's expensive to eat there.


I think the chefs at the Savoy and Ivy would probably not want to be within a 10 mile radius of chlorine washed chicken, let alone cook it.

Image
User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3 - Project Reality
by Lex-Man » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:15 pm

Ding Dong Merrily on Hide wrote:
Lex-Man wrote:
Winckle wrote:
Lex-Man wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Karl_ wrote:
Winckle wrote:
Karl_ wrote:Really looking forward to slashing all the red tape that's holding us back, like, let's see, uh, the ban on chemicals "linked to health problems including cancer, thyroid disease, hormone disruption and slow development"

Yeah but you can just move to the richer areas where that doesn't happen, and buy more expensive food and cleaning products that mean that won't happen. Let the free market decide.

Yes, it will absolutely be framed as "stupid" and "your own fault" if you get sick from weird chemicals in value range or fast food. Just go to Waitrose :simper: :simper: :simper:


If you care about your food, why don't you grow your own on your land? :simper:


The thing is I doubt rich people buy they're own cleaning products so I guessing their houses will be cleaned with the same gooseberry fool as everybody else. They're going to suffer from the same problems as the poor if we get rid of chemical and food standards.

I use to work in hospitality for high end businesses, like arranging parties for investment bankers and the like, and we just bought the cheapest stuff we could get a lot of the time. It's not like their going to check where we're sourcing our food from.

You mean you worked in the European Union with its high standards for such products?


Yeah sure but if the standard are dropped most restaurants and other caterers are going to start buying the lowest quality food that their customers will accept. Just because your eating at the Savoy or Ivy doesn't mean they're above buying chlorine washed chicken just because it's expensive to eat there.


I think the chefs at the Savoy and Ivy would probably not want to be within a 10 mile radius of chlorine washed chicken, let alone cook it.


They use the same supplies as ever other catering company out there, they also buy the same cleaning chemicals as everyone else. All the rich people in the country will be exposed to all the same crap as the poor ones, maybe less of it, but the country will get worse for everyone.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Karl_
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3 - Project Reality
by Karl_ » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:34 pm

Eroding e.g. food standards or safety regulations in household products does affect everyone. But it will be the poorest people who have the most exposure to bad-quality food or unsafe household chemicals. I should think the difference in exposure would be quite a lot (e.g. because you are only able to afford value range food, or because you work as a cleaner, your exposure will be constant rather than occasional - those are just two examples of a general trend).

User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3 - Project Reality
by Garth » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:32 pm

twitter.com/SJAMcBride/status/1347512234520539137


twitter.com/PeterStefanovi2/status/1347514068047982598


twitter.com/kholtonreuters/status/1347481840555339776


twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1347476454532112390


twitter.com/Joe_Mayes/status/1347463861230825472


Digital Foundry's John Linneman over in Germany:

twitter.com/dark1x/status/1347134203503243265


twitter.com/rtenews/status/1347522114711150594


New NI fishing boat rules 'create hard border'

Post-Brexit restrictions on where Northern Ireland boats can land their catch in the Republic of Ireland have "created a hard border on the island", fishermen in the north-west say.

NI-registered vessels can now land at just two Irish ports - Killybegs in Donegal and Castletownbere in Cork.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55566214
Cannabis medicine's halt 'devastates' epileptic girl's family

The mother of a nine-year-old girl with a severe form of epilepsy is "devastated" after it emerged her supply of cannabis medicine from the Netherlands will stop due to Brexit.

Sophia Gibson, from Newtownards, County Down, has Dravet syndrome.

In 2018, she became the first person to be granted a long-term licence for the use of medicinal cannabis in the UK.

However, the UK Department of Health has confirmed her drug Bedrocan was no longer available in the UK.

That is because, since 1 January, prescriptions issued in the UK cannot be lawfully dispensed by an EU member state.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55578532

twitter.com/JP_Biz/status/1346907710676201480


User avatar
Trelliz
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3 - Project Reality
by Trelliz » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:38 pm

If only this could have been predicted or foreseen.

Tragic Magic wrote:I'm giving esteem a name of crafty Fu mining pinitz strawberry float me I live roasted ponuts

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3 - Project Reality
by Dual » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:52 pm

I'm sorry for the people of Ireland but it's worth it for our freedom.

/bbchaveyoursay

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3 - Project Reality
by Jenuall » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:54 pm

Image

Image
User avatar
<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3 - Project Reality
by <]:^D » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:55 pm

the state of this country :fp:

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3 - Project Reality
by Rex Kramer » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:56 pm

One, not too, interesting side effect of Brexit is that goods that entered Britain last year (and by extension the EU) from outside and had duty paid on them will now have duty reapplied as they cross back into the EU.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3 - Project Reality
by Moggy » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:55 pm

Image

It's going so well.

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3 - Project Reality
by Jenuall » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:56 pm

I'm sure those sunlit uplands are just around the corner! :toot:

Image
User avatar
Lex-Man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3 - Project Reality
by Lex-Man » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:21 pm

Karl_ wrote:Eroding e.g. food standards or safety regulations in household products does affect everyone. But it will be the poorest people who have the most exposure to bad-quality food or unsafe household chemicals. I should think the difference in exposure would be quite a lot (e.g. because you are only able to afford value range food, or because you work as a cleaner, your exposure will be constant rather than occasional - those are just two examples of a general trend).



I guess my point is that rich people are trying to make their lives worse in a meaningful way even if they're aren't going to be the worst effected by their decisions. The upsides of what they get out of the deal isn't even that good, they might get a bit more money but I doubt it would have much material effect on their lives, also it's quite likely the extra money would be eaten up by tariffs and a weakening pound when other countries start protecting their own economies so they might actually doing it for no or negative benefit. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Amusement under late capitalism is the prolongation of work.
User avatar
Karl_
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Dr. Nyaaa~!
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3 - Project Reality
by Karl_ » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:29 pm

I think it's probably a combination of factors that made it an attractive fight for the far-right, and supported/funded by rich and powerful people who see opportunities in fascism. There will be money to be made from the disruption in the short-term, but probably more importantly there's a medium-term plan to erode workers' and human rights legislation. I think there's also a culture war aspect that was waged successfully too which is important to those people - an effort to mobilise a certain subset of people feel let down by "mainstream" politics in support of far-right politics (and therefore against any leftist politics which might actually help them). There will be genuine cultural drivers amongst the rich too - plenty of them just are very racist or whatever.

User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3 - Project Reality
by Garth » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:46 pm

It's going to get worse:

twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1347582033585954816


User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3 - Project Reality
by Jenuall » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:50 pm

The thing that makes me laugh (well, cry less I guess) about all this is that so many people who, by normal standards, you would consider "wealthy" voted for this and yet even they do not stand to gain financially. It is a tiny, tiny cabal of genuine "super elite" rich people who will benefit from this. The millions of people who are merely "very wealthy" are also going to be strawberry floated over, but they fell for it.

Image
User avatar
Hypes
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3 - Project Reality
by Hypes » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:55 pm

See voting Conservative

Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Jenuall
Location: 40 light-years outside of the Exeter nebula
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit Thread 3 - Project Reality
by Jenuall » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:03 pm

Kind of, although this is a much more extreme version of the situation.

I can see how conceivably Tory voters personally stand to benefit in tangible, practical ways from their choice to vote Conservative. It's at the expense of everyone else and is terrible, but lots of Tory voters themselves will probably be better off than they would under the alternatives. But Brexit? Virtually nobody gains from it!

Image

Return to “Stuff”