Buying a house (and renting)

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Buying a house (and renting)
by That's not a growth » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:02 pm

If you arrange it yourself where would you get it removed to that doesn't cost you storage fees?

User avatar
Igor
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Not telling...

PostRe: Buying a house (and renting)
by Igor » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:15 pm

That's not a growth wrote:If you arrange it yourself where would you get it removed to that doesn't cost you storage fees?


The idea was to pay someone to remove and dispose of it. What other option is there if the management company take no action?

I'm hoping the threat will force them into doing the thing they're obligated to do anyway.

User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Buying a house (and renting)
by That's not a growth » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:52 pm

I don't think you can get away with disposing of it in the first instance. You need to give multiple written warnings with decent time frames. Document everything.

User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Stool Bloke

PostRe: Buying a house (and renting)
by Dual » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:28 pm

Igor wrote:Advice needed. We moved into our new rented place two weeks ago today. The house was furnished but as we already have our own nice sofa, we requested that the existing sofa be removed - this was agreed and is in the tenancy agreement.

The sofa is still here. A giant leather corner monstrosity. We've taken it apart but it's taking up a large part of our living room, and blocking one of the windows. The landlord is based in Canada so has a management company running things. Repeated phone calls to the management company have been met with excuses. 'Mark isn't in the office right now, he'll call you back.' 'Ah yes, we're working with our contractor to get it sorted.'

Another email sent on Thursday, no response. I'm planning on emailing again Monday afternoon if they haven't come back, telling them that as removal of the sofa was part of the tenancy agreement, we will be arranging removal and disposal and invoice them if it isn't resolved.

Any issues with that, given the sofa isn't ours?


Leave it out the front and tell them to pick it up.

User avatar
GrinWithoutaKat
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Buying a house (and renting)
by GrinWithoutaKat » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:42 am

I've put an offer in on three houses in the last month, and two of them seemed to have quite high asking prices based on the fact the same type of house in the same street had sold for 10-15k less in the last 6 months, but both of them ended up going for the asking price. Nothing in the area stays on the market for much more than a week which would probably suggest the asking prices are low, but I have this mentality when it comes to buying anything where I don't want to pay more if something has gone for cheaper recently, and it's really hampering my efforts to get a house :fp:

Image
pjbetman
Member
Joined in 2017

PostRe: Buying a house (and renting)
by pjbetman » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:35 pm

That's not a growth wrote:I don't think you can get away with disposing of it in the first instance. You need to give multiple written warnings with decent time frames. Document everything.


I think you're right.

Why not get it delivered to the estate agents office!? :slol: :slol:

pjbetman
Member
Joined in 2017

PostRe: Buying a house (and renting)
by pjbetman » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:46 pm

GrinWithoutaKat wrote:I've put an offer in on three houses in the last month, and two of them seemed to have quite high asking prices based on the fact the same type of house in the same street had sold for 10-15k less in the last 6 months, but both of them ended up going for the asking price. Nothing in the area stays on the market for much more than a week which would probably suggest the asking prices are low, but I have this mentality when it comes to buying anything where I don't want to pay more if something has gone for cheaper recently, and it's really hampering my efforts to get a house :fp:


There could be many reasons for significant differences in prices like that. Could be a nice patio area, brand new kitchen, loft conversion, bigger size, extra bedroom, modern v old etc.

User avatar
Bunni
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Buying a house (and renting)
by Bunni » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:46 pm

Been approved for a mortgage despite being on zero hours/rolling temp contracts etc for the last two years. Great news because I wasn't expecting it, and they're willing to lend far more than the budget I was hoping for so bonus.

The place we've found has been up for two days and we can't get a viewing because there's 80 people already booked.

User avatar
Curls
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Buying a house (and renting)
by Curls » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:01 pm

Bunni wrote:Been approved for a mortgage despite being on zero hours/rolling temp contracts etc for the last two years. Great news because I wasn't expecting it, and they're willing to lend far more than the budget I was hoping for so bonus.

The place we've found has been up for two days and we can't get a viewing because there's 80 people already booked.


Rock up there and pretend you're one of the couples who have booked ? ;)

User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Buying a house (and renting)
by That's not a growth » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:08 am

Wait outside for a couple to walk up, ask them their names, explain that your sorry but their viewing had to be cancelled last moment then go in pretending to be them.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Buying a house (and renting)
by Moggy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:11 am

Burn the place to the ground and then nobody can have it.

User avatar
Bunni
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Buying a house (and renting)
by Bunni » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:10 pm

Turns out none of the credit agencies think I’m on the electoral roll despite having votes many times from my current address. Unless they’ve not matched up my new name after getting married (I sent in the renewal paperwork last week, I’ve still not changed it on everything because it’s a strawberry floating hassle)

Mortgage offer is given at 20% deposit because of my temporary contract and ‘something wrong on my credit file. Everything financial is big green ticks so hopefully once the voting thing is sorted they might revert to 10% because otherwise I’m not gunna buy anything because I can’t scramble together another £15k anytime quickly.

User avatar
GrinWithoutaKat
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Buying a house (and renting)
by GrinWithoutaKat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:14 pm

Completed the purchase on my new house a couple of weeks ago, and got a letter off the water company to say they'll be charging me £72 a month. As this sounded bonkers, I've called them up and they've said I'm paying the standard yearly charge of £360, but spread over 5 months instead of 12. From March my monthly bill will be lower as it will then be spread over the full 12 months. Is this how things usually work? They'll have already been paid for the previous owners for the 7 months prior to me moving in.

Image
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Buying a house (and renting)
by Drumstick » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:48 pm

GrinWithoutaKat wrote:Completed the purchase on my new house a couple of weeks ago, and got a letter off the water company to say they'll be charging me £72 a month. As this sounded bonkers, I've called them up and they've said I'm paying the standard yearly charge of £360, but spread over 5 months instead of 12. From March my monthly bill will be lower as it will then be spread over the full 12 months. Is this how things usually work? They'll have already been paid for the previous owners for the 7 months prior to me moving in.

That's completely incorrect. Your monthly payment should be £360/12 (£30). There is no way they can legally charge you a full financial year's consumption when you're only going to have been there for five months of said year.

Which water company if you don't mind my asking?

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
GrinWithoutaKat
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Buying a house (and renting)
by GrinWithoutaKat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:25 pm

Drumstick wrote:
GrinWithoutaKat wrote:Completed the purchase on my new house a couple of weeks ago, and got a letter off the water company to say they'll be charging me £72 a month. As this sounded bonkers, I've called them up and they've said I'm paying the standard yearly charge of £360, but spread over 5 months instead of 12. From March my monthly bill will be lower as it will then be spread over the full 12 months. Is this how things usually work? They'll have already been paid for the previous owners for the 7 months prior to me moving in.

That's completely incorrect. Your monthly payment should be £360/12 (£30). There is no way they can legally charge you a full financial year's consumption when you're only going to have been there for five months of said year.

Which water company if you don't mind my asking?


It's Welsh Water, amongst the highest price rises for the last two years running :dread:

Image
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Buying a house (and renting)
by Tomous » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:35 am

So, curtain rails.

We’re in the process of buying our first house and we’ve just had the fixture and fittings inventory back and it seems the vendor is taking all the curtain rails except the lounge, where they want £40 to leave them.

Is this the norm? I assumed curtain rails would just be left? And can we require they fill and cover all the holes left by removing the rails? I’ve seen “make walls good” mentioned before, but how do we enforce this? Refuse to exchange if they don’t do it?

Image
jawafour
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Buying a house (and renting)
by jawafour » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:45 am

Unless it's listed on the "fixtures and fittings remaining" list, it could go. Sometimes folk take everything, including light bulbs. As you say, Tom, I guess that screw holes would remain if they took all the curtain rails. A bit of a pain but not too onerous to fix. Personally, I'd decline paying £40 for the rails in the lounge; they probably don't want them (hence the sale offer) and they're being gits.

Good luck with the move, man!

User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Buying a house (and renting)
by Cheeky Devlin » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:46 am

We're moving out and into our new build on Friday.

Part of what I'm spending tomorrow doing is taking down shelving strips and filling the holes, along with mirrors and other stuff we're not leaving.

We're not taking the curtain rails though.

I'm just glad it's finally going ahead. We were supposed to move on the 23rd of August, but it got put back because of Solicitor shite so we've been living from boxes for the past few weeks.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
jawafour
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Buying a house (and renting)
by jawafour » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:49 am

Cheeky Devlin wrote:We're moving out and into our new build on Friday...

All the best for the move, CD. Will you get to have a game room / area in your new place?

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Buying a house (and renting)
by Tomous » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:53 am

jawafour wrote:Unless it's listed on the "fixtures and fittings remaining" list, it could go. Sometimes folk take everything, including light bulbs. As you say, Tom, I guess that screw holes would remain if they took all the curtain rails. A bit of a pain but not too onerous to fix. Personally, I'd decline paying £40 for the rails in the lounge; they probably don't want them (hence the sale offer) and they're being gits.

Good luck with the move, man!


Cheers mate!

Yeah, we're not gonna pay £40. We figure if we decline they'll probably leave them anyway. It's just a bit annoying on the rest of the rooms. I think they're being gits because they're bitter at the price they've sold at. They bought only the house a few years ago and initially put it on the market for a +25% increase despite doing zero work to it. In the end they couldn't sell it for anywhere near that and we agreed a price a lot lower.

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Garth, MSN [Bot], Snowcannon and 56 guests