Car Thread II

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Poser » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:19 pm

Somebody Else's Problem wrote:Vauxhall have been a bunch of absolute strawberry floating next-level geniuses and sent out a recall letter in the middle of a global pandemic.


Is it something that can wait, or is it safety?

User avatar
Somebody Else's Problem
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Somebody Else's Problem » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:30 pm

Poser wrote:
Somebody Else's Problem wrote:Vauxhall have been a bunch of absolute strawberry floating next-level geniuses and sent out a recall letter in the middle of a global pandemic.


Is it something that can wait, or is it safety?


It's something that's going to have to wait regardless, as we're closed.

Image
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Robbo-92 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:24 pm

I know it’s really impractical considering the situation but with some of my extra free time I’ve been spending an awful lot of time on Auto-Trader recently. Loads of stuff I’d fancy to be honest.

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Dual » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:28 pm

Me too. I think I'm going to get a second hand 330E.

User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Robbo-92 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:03 pm

For some reason I find myself looking at cheap ish MX-5’s..... Obviously I’d have to see it in person to see what the rust is like :lol: reckon the plan would be to buy a cheap MX-5 and then throw a bit of money at it, not sensible but reckon it’d be fun for a while at least. Not really many MK1’s near to me but plenty of MK2’s.

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Car Thread II
by False » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:07 pm

I want a 208 gti with the ps chassis

Image
User avatar
Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Poser » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:26 pm

False wrote:I want a 208 gti with the ps chassis


I'd imagine you'd pick one of those up relatively cheaply. Great little cars, but a lot to f competition in the market.

User avatar
False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Car Thread II
by False » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:58 am

yeah they arent very expensive

I figure Ill get something small and fairly cheap after the sti because I wont get anything that can compare so its a palette cleanser

Image
User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: Car Thread II
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:21 am

Driving on smart motorways...I often avoid driving on the first lane as in the hard shoulder that has been converted into a lane. Just doesn't feel safe incase I come up to a broken down car and the overhead signs haven't been able to pick it up intake and close the lane with a red X.
What do you all think about driving on these dangerous roads?

User avatar
Somebody Else's Problem
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Somebody Else's Problem » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:26 am

No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:Driving on smart motorways...I often avoid driving on the first lane as in the hard shoulder that has been converted into a lane. Just doesn't feel safe incase I come up to a broken down car and the overhead signs haven't been able to pick it up intake and close the lane with a red X.
What do you all think about driving on these dangerous roads?


They're proven to be unsafe, yet still they persist because someone in charge is balls-deep into the sunk cost fallacy.

Image
BOR
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Car Thread II
by BOR » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:33 pm

What's the chance of these used or brand new cars' value will drop once this virus is all over?

"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Robbo-92 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:07 pm

I think it’s quite possible that there’ll be plenty of 0% finance offers, better PCP deals to get people to buy a new car, don’t see them dropping the top price by much but who can say at this point? They’ll have taken quite a hit so will be eager to shift plenty of units most likely.

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Car Thread II
by rinks » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:28 pm

One of my neighbours took delivery of a brand-new Mercedes barge, the day before lockdown. It’s been sat in the street ever since, just depreciating away.

User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Robbo-92 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:32 pm

At least they probably won’t go over their mileage allowance for the year then.

Image
Image
Image
BOR
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Car Thread II
by BOR » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:44 pm

True, I will have a look round at the deals once it's all settling down soon.

"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
User avatar
Somebody Else's Problem
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Somebody Else's Problem » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:11 am

I know we'd originally had a 0% event planned for the end of March. I imagine we'll end up doing it once we reopen instead.

Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Lagamorph » Mon May 18, 2020 1:34 pm

The PCP on my car is up next month, but sourcing a replacement basically isn't really possible right now with dealers closed and test drives impossible.

Audi/VW Finance have the option to apply for an extension of PCP for up to 6 months, so I've done that this morning. Part of me was tempted not to bother and to just tell them to stop charinging me and come pick it up whenever it was safe to do so, but I can't necessarily rely on using my dads car for things like shopping in the meantime.

It's a bit annoying that I'm basically going to spend another £2,000 for a car that's going to spend 95%+ of the time just sat on the driveway, but at the same time it's good to know I have a vehicle there ready.

Who knows what's going to happen in December though. Not going to be surprised if dealerships are still closed at that point and test drives aren't possible. At the same time, no idea what the situation will be with work. Will I be driving to work as often as I was before, which was only 3 days a week, and if less often I could potentially make a change from Diesel to Petrol and reduce the amount of mileage on my finance agreement which in turn would reduce my monthly costs.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Somebody Else's Problem
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Moggy

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Somebody Else's Problem » Mon May 18, 2020 2:36 pm

Lagamorph wrote:The PCP on my car is up next month, but sourcing a replacement basically isn't really possible right now with dealers closed and test drives impossible.

Audi/VW Finance have the option to apply for an extension of PCP for up to 6 months, so I've done that this morning. Part of me was tempted not to bother and to just tell them to stop charinging me and come pick it up whenever it was safe to do so, but I can't necessarily rely on using my dads car for things like shopping in the meantime.

It's a bit annoying that I'm basically going to spend another £2,000 for a car that's going to spend 95%+ of the time just sat on the driveway, but at the same time it's good to know I have a vehicle there ready.

Who knows what's going to happen in December though. Not going to be surprised if dealerships are still closed at that point and test drives aren't possible. At the same time, no idea what the situation will be with work. Will I be driving to work as often as I was before, which was only 3 days a week, and if less often I could potentially make a change from Diesel to Petrol and reduce the amount of mileage on my finance agreement which in turn would reduce my monthly costs.


We've started to open up our sales departments, but in a limited capacity, and we've massively ramped up our internet selling capability. We're now able to deliver vehicles to people's doors, too. I imagine other dealership groups will be offering similar facilities, if not now, then soon.

Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Car Thread II
by Lagamorph » Mon May 18, 2020 2:43 pm

Somebody Else's Problem wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:The PCP on my car is up next month, but sourcing a replacement basically isn't really possible right now with dealers closed and test drives impossible.

Audi/VW Finance have the option to apply for an extension of PCP for up to 6 months, so I've done that this morning. Part of me was tempted not to bother and to just tell them to stop charinging me and come pick it up whenever it was safe to do so, but I can't necessarily rely on using my dads car for things like shopping in the meantime.

It's a bit annoying that I'm basically going to spend another £2,000 for a car that's going to spend 95%+ of the time just sat on the driveway, but at the same time it's good to know I have a vehicle there ready.

Who knows what's going to happen in December though. Not going to be surprised if dealerships are still closed at that point and test drives aren't possible. At the same time, no idea what the situation will be with work. Will I be driving to work as often as I was before, which was only 3 days a week, and if less often I could potentially make a change from Diesel to Petrol and reduce the amount of mileage on my finance agreement which in turn would reduce my monthly costs.


We've started to open up our sales departments, but in a limited capacity, and we've massively ramped up our internet selling capability. We're now able to deliver vehicles to people's doors, too. I imagine other dealership groups will be offering similar facilities, if not now, then soon.

The issue with internet selling of cars is the inability to actually view/test drive things before you commit to buying, which is pretty important with a car you're going to have for 3-4 years.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
False
COOL DUDE
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Car Thread II
by False » Mon May 18, 2020 4:05 pm

I’ve started the process of getting rid of mine

Looking forward to a month or two on no payments and then I think I’m gonna take advantage of the depressed market

I’ll never find anything to replace mine so I think I’m gonna go totally different, fancy a 208 gti sport, something small and nippy to play around with and cleanse the palette before going big power again

Dunno

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: <]:^D, Boo!, Dig Dug, Google [Bot], Lime, mcjihge2, Peter Crisp, Qikz, Robbo-92, Ste, Trelliz, Xeno and 142 guests