Cheeky's Retro Randomizer "Races" - NEW Races for ALTTP & SMB3 & 2 NEW Games! - See pg7/OP

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Cheeky's Retro Randomizer "Races" - Super Mario Bros 3 Race LIVE! - See Pg 4!
by Cheeky Devlin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:26 am

Just gave the new race ROM a go and Jesus I forgot how hard Super Mario Bros 3 is in places. It's utterly brutal.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Under the raft

PostRe: Cheeky's Retro Randomizer "Races" - Super Mario Bros 3 Race LIVE! - See Pg 4!
by Jenuall » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:14 pm

Oh new race! :toot:

Didn't have a chance to finish ALTTP as it's been a bit of a crazy week so I may just jump straight into SMB3.

ImageImage
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Cheeky's Retro Randomizer "Races" - Super Mario Bros 3 Race LIVE! - See Pg 4!
by Cheeky Devlin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:16 pm

Jenuall wrote:Oh new race! :toot:

Didn't have a chance to finish ALTTP as it's been a bit of a crazy week so I may just jump straight into SMB3.

The ALTTP race is still going on. You've got till the 26th (Two weeks tomorrow). :D

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Under the raft

PostRe: Cheeky's Retro Randomizer "Races" - Super Mario Bros 3 Race LIVE! - See Pg 4!
by Jenuall » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:15 pm

Cheeky Devlin wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Oh new race! :toot:

Didn't have a chance to finish ALTTP as it's been a bit of a crazy week so I may just jump straight into SMB3.

The ALTTP race is still going on. You've got till the 26th (Two weeks tomorrow). :D

Good point, hopefully I'll get a chance to finish it off!

Obviously familiarity with the base game is going to be a large factor in performance and enjoyment in these races - I'm so rusty on ALTTP that it's essentially like playing the whole game from scratch but without any of the structure and railings designed to help you finish it!

ImageImage
User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Cheeky's Retro Randomizer "Races" - Super Mario Bros 3 Race LIVE! - See Pg 4!
by Pedz » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:20 pm

Jenuall wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Oh new race! :toot:

Didn't have a chance to finish ALTTP as it's been a bit of a crazy week so I may just jump straight into SMB3.

The ALTTP race is still going on. You've got till the 26th (Two weeks tomorrow). :D

Good point, hopefully I'll get a chance to finish it off!

Obviously familiarity with the base game is going to be a large factor in performance and enjoyment in these races - I'm so rusty on ALTTP that it's essentially like playing the whole game from scratch but without any of the structure and railings designed to help you finish it!



I love ALttP, my favourite game, and yet I was an hour behind Devlin, so I wouldnt worry about it. It's all meant to be fun. Though I am gutted that I was so slow on a game I'm more familiar with than any other game :lol:

ImageImage
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Under the raft

PostRe: Cheeky's Retro Randomizer "Races" - Super Mario Bros 3 Race LIVE! - See Pg 4!
by Jenuall » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:31 pm

Pedz wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Oh new race! :toot:

Didn't have a chance to finish ALTTP as it's been a bit of a crazy week so I may just jump straight into SMB3.

The ALTTP race is still going on. You've got till the 26th (Two weeks tomorrow). :D

Good point, hopefully I'll get a chance to finish it off!

Obviously familiarity with the base game is going to be a large factor in performance and enjoyment in these races - I'm so rusty on ALTTP that it's essentially like playing the whole game from scratch but without any of the structure and railings designed to help you finish it!



I love ALttP, my favourite game, and yet I was an hour behind Devlin, so I wouldnt worry about it. It's all meant to be fun. Though I am gutted that I was so slow on a game I'm more familiar with than any other game :lol:

Oh yeah, it's still fun either way. Being lost and making an arse of it is all part of the enjoyment! :lol:

Looking over the list of randomizers that are in the OP and I'm surprised there aren't more of them. Obviously I know that it's hard work to achieve this stuff and not every game can be hacked in these ways, but there aren't too many on there that I'm really that familiar with!

ImageImage
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Cheeky's Retro Randomizer "Races" - Super Mario Bros 3 Race LIVE! - See Pg 4!
by Cheeky Devlin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:18 pm

Pedz wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote:
Jenuall wrote:Oh new race! :toot:

Didn't have a chance to finish ALTTP as it's been a bit of a crazy week so I may just jump straight into SMB3.

The ALTTP race is still going on. You've got till the 26th (Two weeks tomorrow). :D

Good point, hopefully I'll get a chance to finish it off!

Obviously familiarity with the base game is going to be a large factor in performance and enjoyment in these races - I'm so rusty on ALTTP that it's essentially like playing the whole game from scratch but without any of the structure and railings designed to help you finish it!



I love ALttP, my favourite game, and yet I was an hour behind Devlin, so I wouldnt worry about it. It's all meant to be fun. Though I am gutted that I was so slow on a game I'm more familiar with than any other game :lol:


I was saying to Jazzem on his stream last night, that until about a month or two ago, I'd not played ALTTP properly in around 15 years. So a lot of the familiarity I have with it comes from playing quite a lot of the Super Metroid/ALTTP Randomizer and getting more familiar with the game again.

The tracker is fantastic for this as well as most of the time saved is through how you route yourself through the game. For instance on the type of seed I've done recently, where you have to do castle escape with Zelda, you always properly start the game when you emerge from Sanctuary. You have a couple of options in terms of places to go. You can go to the south of Link's House and check the Dam, Mini-Moldorm Cave and the Ice-Rod cave.

I tend to turn west and check to see what the Lumberjacks have first. The reason for that is that it tells me if I need to beat Aghanim in the Light World. So I'm hoping for something like Rupees, Arrows or Bombs. If it's something like the Bow, or Lamp, it means I need to fight through that short dungeon section to fight him at some point.

I then move into Lost Woods and pick up the Thieves Hideout Item and the Item that's out in the open (The Mushroom in the vanilla game), before heading south and clearing out Kakariko. To clear Kakariko out in one trip you need Bombs, 100 Rupees and the Bottle. But even if you only have Bombs there's 12 chests you can open really early.

Then I usually continue anti-clockwise cleaning up whatever Green locations I have. That's when I start looking at what Dungeons I need to complete and what ones I have access to. I'm essentially waiting for a dungeon to turn green. If none are green yet I check Sahrasalahs Hut for three chests and the front half of Eastern Palace for potentially another three.

If I'm in the area and I have the book of Mudora, the Master Sword pedestal can be worth checking as well. If there is an essential item there (Again, the bow for example) then it means I need to get all three pendants as well as the 7 crystals. So far I've not had to do that yet.

There's a google document with details on routing and other tips. I'll see if I can find it and post it later on tonight.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Cheeky's Retro Randomizer "Races" - Super Mario Bros 3 Race LIVE! - See Pg 4!
by Corazon de Leon » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:04 am

Any way to get that .exe working with Macbook? I already know the answer, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Also, was trying to get a copy of an ALTTP rom to play this on, and couldn't find one that worked properly. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I should note that I'm utterly inept at technology.

Image Image
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Cheeky's Retro Randomizer "Races" - Super Mario Bros 3 Race LIVE! - See Pg 4!
by Cheeky Devlin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:22 am

Corazon de Leon wrote:Any way to get that .exe working with Macbook? I already know the answer, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Also, was trying to get a copy of an ALTTP rom to play this on, and couldn't find one that worked properly. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I should note that I'm utterly inept at technology.


https://ssjtroly.github.io/smb3-nes-web-randomizer/

Try using that. I've not used it before but I believe it's based on the one I put in the post. It should use the same seed number and flags.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Cheeky's Retro Randomizer "Races" - Super Mario Bros 3 Race LIVE! - See Pg 4!
by Pedz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:26 am

Cheeky Devlin wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:Any way to get that .exe working with Macbook? I already know the answer, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Also, was trying to get a copy of an ALTTP rom to play this on, and couldn't find one that worked properly. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I should note that I'm utterly inept at technology.


https://ssjtroly.github.io/smb3-nes-web-randomizer/

Try using that. I've not used it before but I believe it's based on the one I put in the post. It should use the same seed number and flags.


I know what the seed is, but what is the flag number?

ImageImage
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Cheeky's Retro Randomizer "Races" - Super Mario Bros 3 Race LIVE! - See Pg 4!
by Cheeky Devlin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:40 am

Pedz wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:Any way to get that .exe working with Macbook? I already know the answer, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Also, was trying to get a copy of an ALTTP rom to play this on, and couldn't find one that worked properly. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I should note that I'm utterly inept at technology.


https://ssjtroly.github.io/smb3-nes-web-randomizer/

Try using that. I've not used it before but I believe it's based on the one I put in the post. It should use the same seed number and flags.


I know what the seed is, but what is the flag number?

It's in the race post. Just beneath the seed.

I think it's used with the seed to make sure the options are set the correct way.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Cheeky's Retro Randomizer "Races" - Super Mario Bros 3 Race LIVE! - See Pg 4!
by Pedz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:51 am

Cheeky Devlin wrote:
Pedz wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:Any way to get that .exe working with Macbook? I already know the answer, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Also, was trying to get a copy of an ALTTP rom to play this on, and couldn't find one that worked properly. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I should note that I'm utterly inept at technology.


https://ssjtroly.github.io/smb3-nes-web-randomizer/

Try using that. I've not used it before but I believe it's based on the one I put in the post. It should use the same seed number and flags.


I know what the seed is, but what is the flag number?

It's in the race post. Just beneath the seed.

I think it's used with the seed to make sure the options are set the correct way.


Yeah, I made the rom the other day, I just didn't know what a flag number was. I have a few randomizers and I don't think I've seen a flag number before (though I've not played any of them, I have generated seeds to try at some point.)

ImageImage
User avatar
Minty14
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Nottinghamshire
Contact:

PostRe: Cheeky's Retro Randomizer "Races" - Super Mario Bros 3 Race LIVE! - See Pg 4!
by Minty14 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:23 pm

The SMB3 race has finally tipped me over the edge to buy an 8bitdo controller :simper:

Will have a crack at it this weekend. Not sure how I'll time it though.

User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Cheeky's Retro Randomizer "Races" - Super Mario Bros 3 Race LIVE! - See Pg 4!
by Pedz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:05 pm

Minty14 wrote:The SMB3 race has finally tipped me over the edge to buy an 8bitdo controller :simper:

Will have a crack at it this weekend. Not sure how I'll time it though.



You could use the stopwatch on your phone or PC, or do what I did and use Live Split. You can set it to start and stop on the same key (I have numpad 1) and you can pause it, which I have set to p. Easy enough to use. I know it's used by most to have splits, like beat jeff, beat John, and Beat Jim.

This is mine for SMB3

Image

and Link to the Past.

Image

As I said on Page 3 it's easy to set up.

ImageImage
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Cheeky's Retro Randomizer "Races" - Super Mario Bros 3 Race LIVE! - See Pg 4!
by Cheeky Devlin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:05 pm

Cheeky Devlin wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:Any way to get that .exe working with Macbook? I already know the answer, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Also, was trying to get a copy of an ALTTP rom to play this on, and couldn't find one that worked properly. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I should note that I'm utterly inept at technology.


https://ssjtroly.github.io/smb3-nes-web-randomizer/

Try using that. I've not used it before but I believe it's based on the one I put in the post. It should use the same seed number and flags.

I'll add that if it doesn't work, I'm sure some kind soul can send you a linky to a generated ROM file.

Not that we condone that kind of behaviour of course. :shifty:

Did you get my other PM earlier? That should sort you out for ALTTP.

Minty14 wrote:The SMB3 race has finally tipped me over the edge to buy an 8bitdo controller :simper:

Will have a crack at it this weekend. Not sure how I'll time it though.

Nice. I bang on about my SF30 Pro at every opportunity. Arguably the best 3rd party pad I've ever used. If it had analogue triggers I'd use it for everything. :lol:

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Cheeky's Retro Randomizer "Races" - Super Mario Bros 3 Race LIVE! - See Pg 4!
by Cheeky Devlin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:07 pm

Oh and I should say that after today I won't be about much (If at all) for the next week. So if you have any questions, get them in soon. I'm back Sunday 21st.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
User avatar
Minty14
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Nottinghamshire
Contact:

PostRe: Cheeky's Retro Randomizer "Races" - Super Mario Bros 3 Race LIVE! - See Pg 4!
by Minty14 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:49 pm

Cheeky Devlin wrote:Oh and I should say that after today I won't be about much (If at all) for the next week. So if you have any questions, get them in soon. I'm back Sunday 21st.

Any tips on making NES emulation not a lagfest? :lol:

User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Cheeky's Retro Randomizer "Races" - Super Mario Bros 3 Race LIVE! - See Pg 4!
by Pedz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:10 pm

Minty14 wrote:
Cheeky Devlin wrote:Oh and I should say that after today I won't be about much (If at all) for the next week. So if you have any questions, get them in soon. I'm back Sunday 21st.

Any tips on making NES emulation not a lagfest? :lol:


What emulator are you using?

ImageImage
User avatar
Minty14
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Nottinghamshire
Contact:

PostRe: Cheeky's Retro Randomizer "Races" - Super Mario Bros 3 Race LIVE! - See Pg 4!
by Minty14 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:13 pm

Tried FCEUmm which was horrific, now FCEUX which is better but not amazing.

Might try jnes, which I remember working well when I last played with emulators years ago.

User avatar
Pedz
Twitch Team
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Cheeky's Retro Randomizer "Races" - Super Mario Bros 3 Race LIVE! - See Pg 4!
by Pedz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:18 pm

I've never had a problem with either of those, myself and use both.

You could also try Nestopia?

ImageImage

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: more heat than light and 56 guests