Computer Help - Setting a fast key?

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Curls
Member
Joined in 2008

PostComputer Help - Setting a fast key?
by Curls » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:39 am

Setting a fast key?

Hi, I want to set up a sentence as a code into one of my work computers.

Is it possible to do? I have to type this sentence every half hour and it's repetitive. Cntrl C is great but it often gets overwritten doing other stuff.

So basically what I'm asking is, is there a way to input into a computer a sentence with a fast link.

Say if I Typed 'CTRL+F10' it would bring up the sentence 'Glowchebs spends all his time watching football and playing ResidentEvil.' and every time I wanted to type that I just hit my lovely Cntrl+F10 fast key.

if someone knew a way that'd be great.

Huw

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Computer Help - Setting a fast key?
by Jenuall » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:45 am

Autohotkey should be able to help you out, look at the Hotstrings function of it: https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Hotstrings.htm

I imagine there must be some third party clipboard tool out there which support assigning custom shortcuts to specific data.

EDIT: A quick google shows up some possible options, ClipboardMaster may be worth a look: https://www.clipboardmaster.com/

ImageImage
User avatar
Kezzer
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Computer Help - Setting a fast key?
by Kezzer » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:48 am

How locked down are your work devices? and which version of Windows/macOS are you running?

Image
Image
Image
https://i.imgur.com/p4kW4c7.png

Check out the Digital Combat Simulator thread for some hardcore aerial combat! | Mumble | PCGT V | The Photography Thread |
User avatar
BID0
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Essex

PostRe: Computer Help - Setting a fast key?
by BID0 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:52 am

I use 1Password, it's a monthly subscription password vault thing that holds your passwords and other sensitive data as well as generate random passwords for you. You can copy paste store passwords/usernames/other information from it.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Computer Help - Setting a fast key?
by Jenuall » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:58 am

I'm assuming you are on Windows?

Second suggestion here is a good one that doesn't involve any additional tools:
https://superuser.com/questions/238402/ ... fined-text

Basically that suggests creating a Windows batch script (a text file ending .bat basically) that replaces the current clipboard content with the contents of a source file. You can then create a shortcut to the batch script and configure a key combination that runs the script so you just need to press the batch script key combo followed by CTRL+V.

ImageImage
User avatar
Curls
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Computer Help - Setting a fast key?
by Curls » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:55 pm

Kezzer wrote:How locked down are your work devices? and which version of Windows/macOS are you running?

Pretty sure it’s windows 7. Not sure how locked down they are until I play with it.

User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Computer Help - Setting a fast key?
by OrangeRKN » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:20 pm

Does the sentence have any repeating letters in it? If not what you do is build a sort of rig out of lollipop sticks and springs so that when placed down directly vertical onto the keyboard each key is pressed in order, typing your sentence. You'll need to turn off repeated key presses, but other than that it should work perfectly.

Witty biological-political hybrid jokes are the reason this place fails to cater to a wide audience
Image
Image
Web - RedBubble - @OrangeRakoon - GOTY 2018
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Computer Help - Setting a fast key?
by Peter Crisp » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:27 pm

Why can't you just get the butler to type it out each time?

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Computer Help - Setting a fast key?
by Jenuall » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:40 pm

No, no, no. The easiest option is to create a custom USB signal generator and pre-program it with the signal sequence required for the sentence you want to type.

Just connect this to a free USB port and activate it whenever you want to type out that same sentence.

Piece of piss m8.

ImageImage
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Computer Help - Setting a fast key?
by Peter Crisp » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:57 pm

This may be a gooseberry fool option but can't you just have a separate word document open in the background with the phrase on it and then just flip to it to cut and paste?

It's not a single button press but still pretty quick and simple to do.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Computer Help - Setting a fast key?
by IAmTheSaladMan » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:03 pm

Doesn't windows have a sticky notes app nowadays? You could just type what you want on to a sticky note then copy and paste each time you need it.

Image
User avatar
KingK
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Computer Help - Setting a fast key?
by KingK » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:05 pm

What sort of place requires you to type the same thing every half an hour?

Is this the machine from Lost??

Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Computer Help - Setting a fast key?
by Peter Crisp » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:08 pm

KingK wrote:What sort of place requires you to type the same thing every half an hour?

Is this the machine from Lost??


Perhaps he's being propositioned every half hour :shifty: .

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Kezzer
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Computer Help - Setting a fast key?
by Kezzer » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:09 pm

or making propositions!

Image
Image
Image
https://i.imgur.com/p4kW4c7.png

Check out the Digital Combat Simulator thread for some hardcore aerial combat! | Mumble | PCGT V | The Photography Thread |
User avatar
Curls
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Computer Help - Setting a fast key?
by Curls » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:42 pm

Jenuall wrote:I'm assuming you are on Windows?

Second suggestion here is a good one that doesn't involve any additional tools:
https://superuser.com/questions/238402/ ... fined-text

Basically that suggests creating a Windows batch script (a text file ending .bat basically) that replaces the current clipboard content with the contents of a source file. You can then create a shortcut to the batch script and configure a key combination that runs the script so you just need to press the batch script key combo followed by CTRL+V.



This looks good......

erm how do i create a file? I'm a complete n00b. I thought i'd just right click somewhere and a 'new file' option would be there, but its not.

Th

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Computer Help - Setting a fast key?
by Jenuall » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:54 pm

Curls wrote:
Jenuall wrote:I'm assuming you are on Windows?

Second suggestion here is a good one that doesn't involve any additional tools:
https://superuser.com/questions/238402/ ... fined-text

Basically that suggests creating a Windows batch script (a text file ending .bat basically) that replaces the current clipboard content with the contents of a source file. You can then create a shortcut to the batch script and configure a key combination that runs the script so you just need to press the batch script key combo followed by CTRL+V.



This looks good......

erm how do i create a file? I'm a complete n00b. I thought i'd just right click somewhere and a 'new file' option would be there, but its not.

Th

Right click on the desktop and select New -> Text Document
A file called "New Text Document" will appear on the desktop
Open this document (Notepad should be the default app and that's fine)
Type the following in to the document:
clip < "C:\Users\PUT_YOUR_USERNAME_HERE\Desktop\TEXT.txt"

Save this file as SCRIPT.bat (You need to make sure that the "Save as type" is set to "All Files" otherwise it will try and save it as the wrong thing and the script wont run!)
Now create a second text document on the desktop and call it "TEXT.txt" - put whatever content you want to be pasting in here
Right click on the file SCRIPT.bat and select "Create Shortcut" this will make a shortcut file appear on the desktop called "SCRIPT - Shortcut"
Right click on the shortcut and selection "Properties"
In the Properties window there is a section labelled "Shortcut Key" which should say "None" by default
Click on None and then press the key you want to use to execute the script (it will need to be a combination like CTRL + ALT + SOMETHING
Once the shortcut key combo is set click OK

Now all you should need to do is press that shortcut key combo to place the content of your "TEXT.txt" file into the clipboard and then press CTRL+V to paste it wherever you need it! :toot:

ImageImage
User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Computer Help - Setting a fast key?
by Green Gecko » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:55 am

If you are going to copy a password to clipboard with a batch script or similar I would recommend that you also clear the clipboard or it could linger in your clipboard more than long enough for a website script or similar to capture it.

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Computer Help - Setting a fast key?
by Jenuall » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:46 am

Green Gecko wrote:If you are going to copy a password to clipboard with a batch script or similar I would recommend that you also clear the clipboard or it could linger in your clipboard more than long enough for a website script or similar to capture it.

Yep this is a good point.

I assumed that Curls was wanting to put something more innocuous onto the clipboard but it never hurts to be careful!

ImageImage
User avatar
Green Gecko
Treasurer
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Computer Help - Setting a fast key?
by Green Gecko » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:37 am

Yeah cos I've never copied and pasted after a week of not using a machine and it's a porn url or something. :slol:

♥ gaems | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Curls
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Computer Help - Setting a fast key?
by Curls » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:07 am

So basically it's not a password or anything like that. It's a code. For anyone who's interested it's a weather trend. but since it's summer I write the same trend every half hour religiously, and it would be easier if I didn't have to type it out every time xD


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cuttooth, Dowbocop, Errkal, Lex-Man, Preezy, Rax, Tsunade, Vermilion, Wedgie, Wrathy, Yoshimi and 65 guests