Control (PS4, XBO, PC) - Remedy Entertainment | out 27 Aug 2019

Anything to do with games at all.
HSH28
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Control (PS4, XBO, PC) - Remedy Entertainment | out 27 Aug 2019
by HSH28 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:51 am

Sandy wrote:Can confirm that Ryzen 7 2700X, GTX 1080ti and 16GB of RAM is not enough to play it at 4k high settings.

I've literally only just started but I'm enjoying it a lot already. The combat is satisfying and the premise seems very Remedy which is fine by me.


Read stuff about the game, apparently if you want 60fps, you can't even do that on an RTX 2080. Looks like if you want to run at 30fps at 4k on High settings you'll need at least a 2080 Ti.

I put the rendering resolution down to 1080p, turned DXR on to Medium and the graphics card wasn't the limiting factor any more, I'm upgrading to a Ryzen 7 3700X this weekend, which should hopefully see the game run fine, might even opt for some 1440p DLSS to see what it looks like.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Control (PS4, XBO, PC) - Remedy Entertainment | out 27 Aug 2019
by Tafdolphin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:02 am

The performance issues are so odd as, although it's a great looking game, it's nowhere near the best looking I've ever played. I suspect it's something to do with the particle work as it does occasionally look extraordinary.

Can anyone fill me in on the difference between resolution and rendering resolution? Apart from a much better framerate, the difference between 1440 res/1440 rendering vs 1440 res/1080 rendering is barely noticeable.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
KjGarly
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Control (PS4, XBO, PC) - Remedy Entertainment | out 27 Aug 2019
by KjGarly » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:16 am

Tafdolphin wrote:The performance issues are so odd as, although it's a great looking game, it's nowhere near the best looking I've ever played. I suspect it's something to do with the particle work as it does occasionally look extraordinary.

Can anyone fill me in on the difference between resolution and rendering resolution? Apart from a much better framerate, the difference between 1440 res/1440 rendering vs 1440 res/1080 rendering is barely noticeable.


I thought rendering res was setting a res higher than your screen which then downsamples it if you haven't already added a custom res via Nvidia control panel (I have 1440p added but no higher for my 1080p screen)

Image
Image Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Control (PS4, XBO, PC) - Remedy Entertainment | out 27 Aug 2019
by Tafdolphin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:18 am

KjGarly wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:The performance issues are so odd as, although it's a great looking game, it's nowhere near the best looking I've ever played. I suspect it's something to do with the particle work as it does occasionally look extraordinary.

Can anyone fill me in on the difference between resolution and rendering resolution? Apart from a much better framerate, the difference between 1440 res/1440 rendering vs 1440 res/1080 rendering is barely noticeable.


I thought rendering res was setting a res higher than your screen which then downsamples it if you haven't already added a custom res via Nvidia control panel (I have 1440p added but no higher for my 1080p screen)


I'm on a 1440p screen and the options in game for both res and render res only go as high as that. So I'm essentially rendering at a lower resolution than my screen maybe? I still don't know what that means though.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
KjGarly
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Control (PS4, XBO, PC) - Remedy Entertainment | out 27 Aug 2019
by KjGarly » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:40 am

Tafdolphin wrote:
KjGarly wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:The performance issues are so odd as, although it's a great looking game, it's nowhere near the best looking I've ever played. I suspect it's something to do with the particle work as it does occasionally look extraordinary.

Can anyone fill me in on the difference between resolution and rendering resolution? Apart from a much better framerate, the difference between 1440 res/1440 rendering vs 1440 res/1080 rendering is barely noticeable.


I thought rendering res was setting a res higher than your screen which then downsamples it if you haven't already added a custom res via Nvidia control panel (I have 1440p added but no higher for my 1080p screen)


I'm on a 1440p screen and the options in game for both res and render res only go as high as that. So I'm essentially rendering at a lower resolution than my screen maybe? I still don't know what that means though.


I think there was a similar thing going on with Quantum Break on PC rendering at a low res if I'm remembering correctly. There was a new Nvidia driver released yesterday for Control. Got the game installed now just going to DDU the new Driver in and see how it performs on my PC :dread:

Image
Image Image
User avatar
Captain Kinopio
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Herbi
Location: The Observatory

PostRe: Control (PS4, XBO, PC) - Remedy Entertainment | out 27 Aug 2019
by Captain Kinopio » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:49 am

There have been a couple of occasions where I get an intense almost film grain type effect. Would that be anything to do with the PS4 struggling and it trying to compensate?

It's a good tactic for hiding technical issues, make a game world so weird the user can't tell what's jank and what's plot.

User avatar
Winckle
Technician
Joined in 2008
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Control (PS4, XBO, PC) - Remedy Entertainment | out 27 Aug 2019
by Winckle » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:54 am

Captain Kinopio wrote:There have been a couple of occasions where I get an intense almost film grain type effect. Would that be anything to do with the PS4 struggling and it trying to compensate?

It's a good tactic for hiding technical issues, make a game world so weird the user can't tell what's jank and what's plot.

I don't know if you can toggle it as an option on console, but on PC there's an on/off setting for "Film Grain", so your instincts on a film grain effect is spot on.

User avatar
KjGarly
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Control (PS4, XBO, PC) - Remedy Entertainment | out 27 Aug 2019
by KjGarly » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:58 am

Personally don't think the film grain effect is that strong on PC, went with optimised settings via Geforce Experience then adjusted the majority to high along with Ray Tracing and DLSS on I'm getting 60fps 99% of the time at 1440p. Only had a few gun fights (Just got murdered by a bunch of army looking guys) and the frame rate stayed stable.

Image

Nice looking game too!

Image
Image Image
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Control (PS4, XBO, PC) - Remedy Entertainment | out 27 Aug 2019
by Cheeky Devlin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:10 am

I need to really sit down and tweak it to get the best from it.

Got it rendering at 1080p and outputting at 2160p with most stuff on high or medium and it's nice and stable. Full 4k had pretty hard stuttering and frame drops.

This is on my 1080, but I need to get the most up to date drivers and really dial down on it.

Need to get performance monitor software though. Usually I just use the Steam FPS counter, but can't get that with Epic store games.

Game wise I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm not massively far into it yet. (Only just got the telekinesis ability).

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Control (PS4, XBO, PC) - Remedy Entertainment | out 27 Aug 2019
by Monkey Man » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:52 pm



Similar to Quantum Break, the vanilla Xbox One uses a base 720p resolution with a temporal accumulation technique that gives the impression of a much cleaner image. ...... The vanilla PlayStation 4 gets a bump to 900p, rising to 1080p on PlayStation 4 Pro. Perhaps not surprisingly, Xbox One X sits at the top of the pile, with 1440p looking like a fairly close approximation to a 4K image thanks to the temporal super-sampling technique in play.

Best of the bunch is clearly Xbox One X. It's by far the smoothest experience overall, but hitching and stuttering still interupt the flow of the game. It's mildly off-putting, but not a major issue. This is followed by the PS4 Pro. It's nowhere near as consistent as the X build, but it's a night and day improvement over the problematic base consoles.

Both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One can see prolonged frame-rate drops in sustained combat, dropping all the way down to 10 frames per second at its absolute worst. Perhaps surprisingly, it's the PS4 that drops hardest and longest, making it noticeably the least performant version of the game.

On Xbox One S, I encountered stuttering and momentary freezing during video playback, while small hitches during UI navigation do point to an IO issue of some kind. More problematic are the loading times and texture pop-in.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... e-face-off

Image
User avatar
Yubel
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Nowhere
Contact:

PostRe: Control (PS4, XBO, PC) - Remedy Entertainment | out 27 Aug 2019
by Yubel » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:30 pm

Guess I'll wait to play this on PS5 via backwards compatibility then - the same approach I'm taking with Cyberpunk, actually. Digital Foundry are going to have an absolute field day comparing these and other late-gen swansongs, especially on base systems where the optimisation will leave a whole lot more to be desired.

User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Control (PS4, XBO, PC) - Remedy Entertainment | out 27 Aug 2019
by Photek » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:29 pm

I expect a patch to come because the performance on base consoles is incredibly bad in the DF video, X performs ok but I'll not be getting till it gets a huge drop in price on cdkeys and/or comes to Gamepass.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Captain Kinopio
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Herbi
Location: The Observatory

PostRe: Control (PS4, XBO, PC) - Remedy Entertainment | out 27 Aug 2019
by Captain Kinopio » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:21 pm

I was going to say ‘incredibly bad’ is harsh because everyone’s mileage with it varies and it’s far from unplayable. But man, the performance really tanks late game when you get abilities that stress the system even more.

I’d encourage people to play this but if finances are tight and you’re in no rush then waiting for a next Gen release or it gets performance updates to improve the stability is definitely the thing to do.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Control (PS4, XBO, PC) - Remedy Entertainment | out 27 Aug 2019
by Tafdolphin » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:43 pm

None of that surprises me at this point. The particle effects are incredible, and this game is doing stuff with physics that I've never seen done anywhere else. Or at least not in this scale. Firefights regularly turn into room destroying blast-a-thons with thousands of individual chunks of debris flying around. It looks magnificent.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Captain Kinopio
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Herbi
Location: The Observatory

PostRe: Control (PS4, XBO, PC) - Remedy Entertainment | out 27 Aug 2019
by Captain Kinopio » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:55 pm

I'm not sure the unkillable big black room destroying blobs were a good idea. It's like introducing an element to deliberately tank the framerate

User avatar
KjGarly
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Control (PS4, XBO, PC) - Remedy Entertainment | out 27 Aug 2019
by KjGarly » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:47 pm

Cheeky Devlin wrote:I need to really sit down and tweak it to get the best from it.

Got it rendering at 1080p and outputting at 2160p with most stuff on high or medium and it's nice and stable. Full 4k had pretty hard stuttering and frame drops.

This is on my 1080, but I need to get the most up to date drivers and really dial down on it.

Need to get performance monitor software though. Usually I just use the Steam FPS counter, but can't get that with Epic store games.

Game wise I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm not massively far into it yet. (Only just got the telekinesis ability).


For FPS just use Geforce Experiences FPS monitor if you have that installed.

I can play this either at 60 fps with ray tracing turned off but everything else maxed except MSAA which looks fine at 2X or lock it to 30 fps via Rivatuner and play at 1080p maxed out with all ray tracing options ticked (MSAA again at 2X, no DLSS either so a nice clean image)

It just looks so damn nice with everything on :cry:

Image
Image Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Control (PS4, XBO, PC) - Remedy Entertainment | out 27 Aug 2019
by Tafdolphin » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:44 am

This is really cool:


Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Control (PS4, XBO, PC) - Remedy Entertainment | out 27 Aug 2019
by Cheeky Devlin » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:14 am

The more I play of this, the more I get a lot of Arkham Asylum vibes. Which is one of the highest compliments I can give it frankly (Asylum is easily my favourite of the series).

Obviously it plays very differently, but the way areas open up and you get new abilities feels very similar.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Stool Bloke

PostRe: Control (PS4, XBO, PC) - Remedy Entertainment | out 27 Aug 2019
by Dual » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:00 am

Tafdolphin wrote:This is really cool:



Lovely aesthetic. Didn't know anything about this but could well pick it up based on those screens.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Control (PS4, XBO, PC) - Remedy Entertainment | out 27 Aug 2019
by Tafdolphin » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:10 am

It looks great, but oddly enough the faces, specifically the eyes, look really outdated. Like, they have these magnificent facial rigs covered in a skin layer that distorts in a way very accurate to real faces but the eyes are just...dead. I genuinely wondered if one of the twists was going to be the main character was blind as during conversation cutscenes she often just stares into space with a completely blank stare. Then I noticed everyone else was doing it too.

It's actually quite unsettling.

Night Call: a game what I worked on. Out now!
t: @Tafdolphin | Twitch: Tafdolphin

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Balladeer, chanticleer, Damian, KjGarly, Nook29, Saint of Killers, Trelliz and 39 guests