Currently playing in 2019...

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently playing in 2019...
by Tafdolphin » Fri May 24, 2019 8:04 am

Still on my Elite gooseberry fool. Borrowed a stick and throttle from a mate which completely transforms the game and makes the whole thing so much more simulatory. And now that I've started asteroid mining money, which was fairly sparse before, is no longer an issue. My account is currently resting around the 600 million mark, up from 200 mil a few days ago. To give that some perspective, in my first 100 hours I earned around 200 mill in total.

Anyway. Pics!

Image
Image
Image
Image

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Yikes
Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Currently playing in 2019...
by jawafour » Fri May 24, 2019 8:36 am

Tafdolphin wrote:...Anyway. Pics!...

That looks terrific, Taf! I enjoyed the original Elite and I have hovered over this new version a few times but I know that, realistically, I'm just not gonna put the time in to learn the complexities of the game.

I recall reading that a new / updated "starter" mission(s) was going to be added to make it slightly more "welcoming" to new players, but I dn't know if that has been implemented yet. Anyhow, it seems that the game has taken quite a hold of you!

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently playing in 2019...
by Tafdolphin » Fri May 24, 2019 8:55 am

jawafour wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:...Anyway. Pics!...

That looks terrific, Taf! I enjoyed the original Elite and I have hovered over this new version a few times but I know that, realistically, I'm just not gonna put the time in to learn the complexities of the game.

I recall reading that a new / updated "starter" mission(s) was going to be added to make it slightly more "welcoming" to new players, but I dn't know if that has been implemented yet. Anyhow, it seems that the game has taken quite a hold of you!


Yeah they introduced a starting area; essentially a few new systems popped into existence that are barred to everyone above a certain level. These have easy missions and the buy-back (the insurance price you pay to get your ship back once it goes bye-bye) it much lower.

I'd say there's never been a better time to jump in but...it's definitely an acquired taste. If you like games like Euro/American Truck Sim and the like then this is the same gooseberry fool but sci-fi, a long-form game of immersion. I've never played a game that's grounded me in a space quite so completely, which is really why I love it.

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Yikes
Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Currently playing in 2019...
by jawafour » Fri May 24, 2019 9:00 am

Tafdolphin wrote:Yeah they introduced a starting area; essentially a few new systems popped into existence that are barred to everyone above a certain level. These have easy missions and the buy-back (the insurance price you pay to get your ship back once it goes bye-bye) it much lower...

Ah! That sounds like a good improvement as I'd heard the opening had been a bit daunting for new players.

Tafdolphin wrote:...I've never played a game that's grounded me in a space quite so completely, which is really why I love it.

It does appear to be very involving; I'm kind of attracted but at this time I'll probably stick to No Man's Sky for a slightly lighter take on space adventuring. Never say never, though, and I'll keep an eye on this.

User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently playing in 2019...
by Lotus » Fri May 24, 2019 11:18 am

OrangeRKN wrote:
Lotus wrote:Fallout New Vegas
...
skipping most of the dialogue and not really paying attention
...
I don’t really have much desire to keep going with it


:(

I think a big part of the game is how your choices in the main questline decide the fortunes and fates of all the side factions. It branches significantly in that respect.

Yeah I think I struggled from the start with caring who controls NV, and wasn't really interested in who Mr House was or what his goals were. I've helped (or not) most of the different factions now and have a rough idea of who I like and don't like, so I guess I'll see what happens. I don't know whether I've made any 'wrong' choices in the dialogue that might prevent me having the outcome I want, but I'll find out soon enough. I think in Fallout 3 was I much more inclined to explore everywhere and see everything (along with all the DLC) but I'm just not as fussed here.

Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Currently playing in 2019...
by OrangeRKN » Fri May 24, 2019 12:44 pm

Lotus wrote:Yeah I think I struggled from the start with caring who controls NV, and wasn't really interested in who Mr House was or what his goals were. I've helped (or not) most of the different factions now and have a rough idea of who I like and don't like, so I guess I'll see what happens. I don't know whether I've made any 'wrong' choices in the dialogue that might prevent me having the outcome I want, but I'll find out soon enough.


The four main options to support are Mr House, NCR, Caesers Legion or yourself. While you can directly choose some immediate faction outcomes a lot is already implied through NCR or legion support

Witty biological-political hybrid jokes are the reason this place fails to cater to a wide audience
Image
Image
Web - RedBubble - @OrangeRakoon - GOTY 2018
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Currently playing in 2019...
by IAmTheSaladMan » Sun May 26, 2019 9:58 am

Played a little more Dead Island last night. Taking a break from finishing quests I’ve gone off to find and place the skulls hidden throughout the game. I cleared one of them last night and have to say I found the reward a little underwhelming.

Image
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently playing in 2019...
by Tafdolphin » Mon May 27, 2019 11:04 am

So I did a little write-up of my time with Elite

https://medium.com/an-exercise-in-vulne ... c95869e7ca

(The title of the Collection there is a bit odd as the whole thing is a bunch of free-written stuff I've jotted down over the past few months as an exercise in actually putting what I write out there in some form.)

Gemini73 wrote:You really are just an obnoxious little toad.

Yikes
Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Currently playing in 2019...
by jawafour » Mon May 27, 2019 11:29 am

Tafdolphin wrote:So I did a little write-up of my time with Elite...

I'm always intrigued by your writing, Taf, and I enjoyed this article. I genuinely laughed loudly at the line "Elite is... my knitting..."; it's a good way of expressing your relationship with the game :lol: .

I occasionally look at Elite for a brief moment and then quickly turn away. I know that I won't put the time into it. But I still look.

User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Currently playing in 2019...
by Robbo-92 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:09 pm

Hopefully I’ll get more of Night in The Woods done today, just started the second chapter.

Image

Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Currently playing in 2019...
by jawafour » Mon May 27, 2019 12:55 pm

Robbo-92 wrote:Hopefully I’ll get more of Night in The Woods done today, just started the second chapter.

I'm always a little wary of lavishing praise upon the game because I suspect some folk may not enjoy it as much as I did... but I hope you're having fun, Robbo!

User avatar
Robbo-92
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: South Yorkshire

PostRe: Currently playing in 2019...
by Robbo-92 » Mon May 27, 2019 1:35 pm

jawafour wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:Hopefully I’ll get more of Night in The Woods done today, just started the second chapter.

I'm always a little wary of lavishing praise upon the game because I suspect some folk may not enjoy it as much as I did... but I hope you're having fun, Robbo!


So far, so good! :) although I did have to look up one bit already as I couldn’t figure out how on earth to get up to Angus’s apartment! :lol:

Image

Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Currently playing in 2019...
by OrangeRKN » Tue May 28, 2019 11:38 am

Tafdolphin wrote:So I did a little write-up of my time with Elite

https://medium.com/an-exercise-in-vulne ... c95869e7ca


I give this 4 potato it was a good read

Witty biological-political hybrid jokes are the reason this place fails to cater to a wide audience
Image
Image
Web - RedBubble - @OrangeRakoon - GOTY 2018
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Currently playing in 2019...
by Photek » Tue May 28, 2019 2:50 pm

Still dabbling in Full Spectrum Warrior.

It's not bad looking for a 15 year old game.

Image

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently playing in 2019...
by Lotus » Tue May 28, 2019 3:28 pm

Tales of Symphonia

The dungeons in this game are so tedious. :dread:
It's like they purposely designed them to be as annoying as possible.
It's a good game but I feel like I've had my fill of it now.

Rayman Origins
Enjoying this a lot. I don't have the time or patience to be a completionist with it, so won't be replaying levels to try and get everything, but it's got some good variety and it satisfying to play (along with the great visuals and music).

Image
User avatar
FatDaz
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Currently playing in 2019...
by FatDaz » Tue May 28, 2019 6:14 pm

Photek wrote:Still dabbling in Full Spectrum Warrior.

It's not bad looking for a 15 year old game.

Image


I loved that game. Wasn’t it developed in conjunction with the US army? I love the mechanics of covering fire, and having % ammo remaining which can be drained by laying down hell on the enemy.

User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Currently playing in 2019...
by Photek » Tue May 28, 2019 6:58 pm

FatDaz wrote:
Photek wrote:Still dabbling in Full Spectrum Warrior.

It's not bad looking for a 15 year old game.

Image


I loved that game. Wasn’t it developed in conjunction with the US army? I love the mechanics of covering fire, and having % ammo remaining which can be drained by laying down hell on the enemy.

Yep it was made with US army afaik. Yeah the gameplay really holds up and it looks pretty great to be honest

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
The Last Ginja
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Fuddle

PostRe: Currently playing in 2019...
by The Last Ginja » Wed May 29, 2019 12:50 am

AC Origins. I got the platinum on Friday after starting the game in January! 75 hours... and I've jumped straight in and finished the Hidden Ones dlc today. I'm going to play the last dlc over the weekend and move on to something more linear. I'm flipping a coin between Resi 2 remake or Firewatch.

I've really enjoyed my time with this, it's similar but at the same time different enough from the old AC formula to make it feel fresh. I have Odyssey waiting in the backlog but that'll be some time away. I think my next open world game will either be Red Dead 2 or Yakuza Kiwami.

User avatar
Seven
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Contact:

PostRe: Currently playing in 2019...
by Seven » Wed May 29, 2019 2:35 am

Final Fantasy XIV. I'm doing Eurkea content on my Hyperion alt as I want to get AF3 dyeable for glamour, and to be able to progress through Eurkea on him. I'm thinking of turning him into Hrotgar (but I'd have to find lore-appropriate name that matches Seven Fisher in any way if poss) since I have Louisoix/Chaos and Balmung/Light if I ever want to play as Roegadyn (which I'm still considered main of, since I really like them) but until then may as well have fun.

Once I hit L20 in Eurkea, I'll resume the main story for bit, and I might go back to Louisoix for bit to get an class to 70, or.... yeah. Lot of stuff to do and it saves me money so heeey

Looking forward to Shadowbringers!

Image
Nintendo ID: SevenFisher (Nickname: Seven)
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Currently playing in 2019...
by Squinty » Wed May 29, 2019 8:23 am

I'm playing Batman Arkham Asylum through Gamepass. It's still a great game, I could complain a little about the port performance, but I'm enjoying it anyway.


Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: abcd, Jazzem, JediDragon05, Samuel_1, Tafdolphin, Trelliz and 51 guests